How do I clean my RAM Slot?

Go to solution Solved by PineyCreek,

If you really want to clean it, unplug your computer and then hold in your power button to bleed power off (then probably wait another 30 minutes to be safe).  Clean what you can out with pure isopropyl and lint free Q-tips (like gun swabs without gun oil on them already).  Clean out what you can.  Then, get some type of lint free cloth or as close to lint free cloth (something that won't leave lint or snag).  Find something thin, like a credit card.  Hold the cloth around the edge of the card, and soak that edge in isopropyl alcohol (pure, preferably).  Scrub gently.

At least this works for cleaning game cartridge slots in my experience.  I think it applies here.

To get the stuff in the plastic out might be harder.  Maybe a very thin metal prong, like the point of tweezers, and wrap a paper towel around it?  Just don't push too hard.

Don't plug it in until it's all dry/evaporated obviously, and don't get alcohol on the CMOS battery >_>.

Hey everyone,

don't ask me how, but I accidentally dripped some thermal paste on the RAM slots.

How do I clean the RAM slots without killing the MB? (image attached)

Cheers,

- Mark

DSC_0334.JPG

As long as your thermal paste is non-conductive, and the RAM is detected and works properly, you don't even need to clean it.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

I ran memtest86 on both A & B slots and the ones with thermal paste on it had errors.

I usually use all of the RAM slots it just crashes randomly that's why I took two sticks out.

If you really want to clean it, unplug your computer and then hold in your power button to bleed power off (then probably wait another 30 minutes to be safe).  Clean what you can out with pure isopropyl and lint free Q-tips (like gun swabs without gun oil on them already).  Clean out what you can.  Then, get some type of lint free cloth or as close to lint free cloth (something that won't leave lint or snag).  Find something thin, like a credit card.  Hold the cloth around the edge of the card, and soak that edge in isopropyl alcohol (pure, preferably).  Scrub gently.

At least this works for cleaning game cartridge slots in my experience.  I think it applies here.

To get the stuff in the plastic out might be harder.  Maybe a very thin metal prong, like the point of tweezers, and wrap a paper towel around it?  Just don't push too hard.

Don't plug it in until it's all dry/evaporated obviously, and don't get alcohol on the CMOS battery >_>.

5 minutes ago, PineyCreek said:

Thanks, I'll try this and keep you updated. I'll try to keep my PC sober.

Problem is of course that it's paste so it's designed to be difficult to move in tight tolerances.

There is still some paste left, but it works for now.

DSC_0345.JPG