Homegroup help

aezakmi

As you might know, with the lovely totally stable and bug-free 1803 update HOME GROUPS ARE GONE FOREVER, now, I'm trying not to panic here but all I can think of is my NAS, it's turned off right now so it's still in 1709, but... how I'm supposed to upload and download my f***ing files from my f***ing NAS now?? I had a homegroup and now bang it's gone no more group, yeah I know there are third party programs but I'm already really low on CPU and memory for the host to the point it's a miracle windows 10 is running in that thing

My options are limited and I don't know if some are possible considering hardware and network

I can see one of these happening but I'm clueless

1. Downgrade all of the computers back to Win 7 and have the homegroup back
  2. Revert only my rig to 1709 knowing it'll auto update itself at some point
  3. Update all of the computers to 1803 and use voodoo black magic to share files again
  4. Sacrifice the remaining resources and use 3rd party stuff

What should I do?

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

I didn't know people used home group or that that removed it, thats kinda lame..

You can just add your NAS as a network share, thats how it was typically done, if the share is password protected just use the cred's for the NAS box.

Your NAS runs Windows 10? I'd look into something with proper NAS support like FreeNAS. 

14 hours ago, Lenovo1984 said:

Your NAS runs Windows 10? I'd look into something with proper NAS support like FreeNAS. 

Basic Requirements

• 8 GB of RAM is required, with more recommended.
  • 8 GB of RAM is the absolute minimum requirement.

Yeah... I don't think that's possible with a 775 board and a dual-core low end CPU but I guess it was worth trying.

15 hours ago, Snipergod87 said:

I didn't know people used home group or that that removed it, thats kinda lame..

You can just add your NAS as a network share, thats how it was typically done, if the share is password protected just use the cred's for the NAS box.

7 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Network share folder

It asks for username and password while trying to access from any of the clients, the NAS user is just called "NAS" and has no password, but that's the "wrong username and/or password" according to Windows.

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

18 minutes ago, aezakmi said:

It asks for username and password while trying to access from any of the clients, the NAS user is just called "NAS" and has no password, but that's the "wrong username and/or password" according to Windows

You should have no problem. Your NAS prob missing something. But anyway, you can save your password. You have a check box to do so, and it won't ask even if you upgrade Windows. This is how it is setup with my Synology NAS.

7 hours ago, aezakmi said:
Yeah... I don't think that's possible with a 775 board and a dual-core low end CPU but I guess it was worth trying.

Oh my, another person actually paying attention to the "requirements" for FreeNAS. I run the latest release of FreeNAS on a low end Core 2 Duo with 2GB of RAM. Works perfectly. It's an old used Dell from 2007. It's more than possible. Don't pay attention to those "requirements" for basic file server usage.