Asus prime h310m-a bios booting help!

I have the Asus prime h310m-a motherboard and I just built my pc. I’m taken to bios when I load up pc and am trying to boot from thumb drive . I have it in boot priority but it won’t boot , when I press f8 before bios load I’m taken to my thumbdrive and boot options but when hitting enter it takes me to bios. my hdds snow up in the main ez read mode of the bios but there in sata 3 and 4 . But don’t show for boot priority. They where used for a different motherboard and have the os and have files on them but I don’t care if I have to wipe them. I thought I could when I get windows going . I called Asus last night and the guy says my ram isn’t compatible and Thas why it won’t boot. but it is I have the Corsair vengeance lpx 1x8 CMK8GX4M1A2400C14R , please help this is my first build and all the cables with my older psu and case where hard to install And last night sucked not being able to boot.just wanna have this work!

My first thought would be the thumb drive is not setup for UEFI correctly. You could try disabling secure boot and possibly switch to legacy boot mode instead of UEFI to at least verify the drive is bootable.

23 minutes ago, lantin said:

My first thought would be the thumb drive is not setup for UEFI correctly. You could try disabling secure boot and possibly switch to legacy boot mode instead of UEFI to at least verify the drive is bootable.

I know it’s bootable for other computers but older motherboards is what I’ve tried it on . But I will try this when I’m home . Are the hard drives fine being in sata 3 and 4 ? They’re not showing to be able to boot from them

Should work in any slot yes. Sometimes there is a faster port but should be bootable from any. If the drive works on other systems I would definitely try legacy boot mode.

22 minutes ago, lantin said:

Should work in any slot yes. Sometimes there is a faster port but should be bootable from any. If the drive works on other systems I would definitely try legacy boot mode.

Alright thank you I will, and also it shouldn’t be ram related right ? My ram is 288 pin 2400 MHz only thing I’m seeing about ram is its for x99 series but everything said it was compatible when I checked . The agent last night said it won’t boot to windows of ram isn’t compatible but hmmm 

If the RAM was not compatible you would know. PC would either refuse to boot outright or complain on startup.

4 minutes ago, lantin said:

If the RAM was not compatible you would know. PC would either refuse to boot outright or complain on startup.

Good ! It was reading it correctly so that’s why I thought nothing was wrong

Any idea why the hard drive won’t show up in the boot priority at all? But shows in sata connections that they’re there ?

While in legacy boot mode they do not show up?

Sorry I know I am repeating myself now but I want to be sure we are on the same page.

If you go into advanced mode then the boot tab and scroll down there should be a secure boot section. Try setting secure boot state to disabled and OS type to other or legacy, something other than UEFI. I don't recall exactly what the options are on that screen. I can check my system and get screenshots when I get home in a few hours if needed. If the drive is coming out of a pre UEFI system this should let you boot to it.

I got it to try to boot , then get an error I’ll change these settings right now and let you know ! 

If it starts to boot then fails you might have an issue with AHCI settings too. Windows can get pretty iffy with drastic hardware changes. Disabling AHCI might get you going though. Can also try safe mode.

2 minutes ago, lantin said:

If it starts to boot then fails you might have an issue with AHCI settings too. Windows can get pretty iffy with drastic hardware changes. Disabling AHCI might get you going though. Can also try safe mode.

Where can I find these settings ? 

Head back into the BIOS advanced mode then under the advanced tab you should have advanced PCH Storage configuration. In there try setting SATA Mode to RAID or IDE and see if Windows will boot. If not try F8 right before Windows boots to bring up the boot menu and select safe mode. (assuming windows 7 from that error screen) Windows 8 / 10 are different for safe mode.

Don’t have any of those options the ide or raid 

image.jpg

As of now when I try to boot from my thumb drive I get an error . If I try to boot from either of my hard drives I can go into system repair but can’t do anything because mouse and keyboard won’t work there

Are you by chance using the USB 3 (blue) ports? Sometimes those don't act quite right until drivers are installed.

Just now, lantin said:

Are you by chance using the USB 3 (blue) ports? Sometimes those don't act quite right until drivers are installed.

No I’ve tried all ports :/

4 minutes ago, lantin said:

I have secure boot off legacy mode only but the windows boot manager failed error keeps happening . Is it because it’s windows 7 by any chance

Windows 7 is definitely working against you on this. Is the USB stick for windows 7 too? The Microsoft Media Creation tool should be able to build you a Windows 10 install stick that should work on here. You'll need a Windows 10 key of course. They can be found online fairly cheap. I get mine from Kinguin. Seems shady but have not had any issues with them so far.

9 minutes ago, lantin said:

Windows 7 is definitely working against you on this. Is the USB stick for windows 7 too? The Microsoft Media Creation tool should be able to build you a Windows 10 install stick that should work on here. You'll need a Windows 10 key of course. They can be found online fairly cheap. I get mine from Kinguin. Seems shady but have not had any issues with them so far.

Could this be the cause of crash ? The monster board says os is windows 10 64bit . But windows 7 can’t be used at all? That’s what’s on my thumb drive

Man... I was JUST reading about this type of issue earlier today I can't believe I didn't make the connection. Yeah, there is no official support for Windows 7 on there only Windows 10 64 bit.

Damn alright so if I get windows 10 on that usb it should be fine ?