Battery Related Problem - Please Help!

Greetings! (Long Post)

I have encountered a battery problem in my Acer Aspire E5-475G. These couple of days, I noticed that it automatically shuts down (or crashes) at 40%-50% battery level. So after that, I opened it up and cleaned it (removing dust in the fans and stuff). Cleaning doesn't work, it still crashes.

I read some articles (desperately I should say) and it says that it may be heat related problem. So I downloaded a software to monitor my laptop's temperature and researched my processor's average temperature. I should say its alright. I even changed the thermal paste on the processor and GPU. I also disconnected the battery pack and connect it again after 2 minutes. The problem is still there. It still crashes even though the battery has 40%-50%.

And finally this morning, I noticed that my battery meter is not moving. It only says that it is plugged in, charging. Stuck at 92%. And when I plug out the charger, it crashes.

What makes me confused is that my laptop is only a year old and the battery in the said laptop is Li-ion. I even upgraded/updated the system BIOS. Nothing happens. 

My Laptop's Specifications:

* Processor: Intel Core i5 7th Gen (7200U) - 2.5 Ghz
* GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 940MX 4GB VRAM
* RAM: 8GB DDR4
* Storage: 1TB Toshiba HDD
* Battery: Acer Rechargeable Li-ion Battery Pack (AS16A8K 41NR19/66-1)
* BIOS Version/Date: Insyde Corp. V1.21, 6 Nov 2017

What should I do?

24 minutes ago, Patrick_Gabriel said:

Greetings! (Long Post)

I have encountered a battery problem in my Acer Aspire E5-475G. These couple of days, I noticed that it automatically shuts down (or crashes) at 40%-50% battery level. So after that, I opened it up and cleaned it (removing dust in the fans and stuff). Cleaning doesn't work, it still crashes.

I read some articles (desperately I should say) and it says that it may be heat related problem. So I downloaded a software to monitor my laptop's temperature and researched my processor's average temperature. I should say its alright. I even changed the thermal paste on the processor and GPU. I also disconnected the battery pack and connect it again after 2 minutes. The problem is still there. It still crashes even though the battery has 40%-50%.

And finally this morning, I noticed that my battery meter is not moving. It only says that it is plugged in, charging. Stuck at 92%. And when I plug out the charger, it crashes.

What makes me confused is that my laptop is only a year old and the battery in the said laptop is Li-ion. I even upgraded/updated the system BIOS. Nothing happens. 

My Laptop's Specifications:

* Processor: Intel Core i5 7th Gen (7200U) - 2.5 Ghz
* GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 940MX 4GB VRAM
* RAM: 8GB DDR4
* Storage: 1TB Toshiba HDD
* Battery: Acer Rechargeable Li-ion Battery Pack (AS16A8K 41NR19/66-1)
* BIOS Version/Date: Insyde Corp. V1.21, 6 Nov 2017

What should I do?

There is a decent chance that the battery is faulty. Fortunately the machine isn't that old. Did you buy a protection/warranty plan? Are you still under manufacturer warranty?

I would get ahold of Acer and see if they will replace the battery under warranty. I suppose it could be a problem with the charging circuitry too, but my first suspect would be the battery.

17 minutes ago, CrippledROBOT said:

There is a decent chance that the battery is faulty. Fortunately the machine isn't that old. Did you buy a protection/warranty plan? Are you still under manufacturer warranty?

Sadly no, warranty is over (ended on January 2018)

4 minutes ago, Patrick_Gabriel said:

Sadly no, warranty is over (ended on January 2018)

If the issues do not occur while plugged in, temperatures are decent, and only seem to occur at the same battery level, then I believe the issue to be the battery. Fortunately, as this machine is not a tightly built ultra-book, accessing the battery should not be extremely difficult. If you're feeling up to it, you may consider just purchasing another battery. A quick Google search brought me here: http://www.acerlaptopbattery.co.uk/acer-aspire-e5-475g-battery.htm

14 minutes ago, CrippledROBOT said:

If the issues do not occur while plugged in, temperatures are decent, and only seem to occur at the same battery level, then I believe the issue to be the battery. Fortunately, as this machine is not a tightly built ultra-book, accessing the battery should not be extremely difficult. If you're feeling up to it, you may consider just purchasing another battery. A quick Google search brought me here: http://www.acerlaptopbattery.co.uk/acer-aspire-e5-475g-battery.htm

The crashes happen when the laptop is running on battery power only.

Getting a new battery will be a problem though, I live in Asia (Philippines to be exact).

Thanks for the help!

13 minutes ago, lantin said:

Too bad it is not available for delivery in my country, will try to find one in the local electronics store.

Thanks for the help!

Hmmm, this one is used any chance it is available to ship to you though? https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Acer-AS16A8K-laptop-battery-AS16A8K-41NR19-66-1-G1-Z4-d9/162901137287?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D44039%26meid%3Df0e53118286944b797809d14e6f487f9%26pid%3D100623%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D142112869530%26itm%3D162901137287&_trksid=p2047675.c100623.m-1

When we sell internationally on ebay here in the US they now have us send to a shipping center that handles the international leg so maybe a better chance than the one from  China.

7 minutes ago, Patrick_Gabriel said:

The crashes happen when the laptop is running on battery power only.

Getting a new battery will be a problem though, I live in Asia (Philippines to be exact).

Thanks for the help!

No problem! Should still be able to order it from said site. I'd also try the local computer stores! Let us know if you need anything else! :)

10 minutes ago, lantin said:

Hmmm, this one is used any chance it is available to ship to you though? https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Acer-AS16A8K-laptop-battery-AS16A8K-41NR19-66-1-G1-Z4-d9/162901137287?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D44039%26meid%3Df0e53118286944b797809d14e6f487f9%26pid%3D100623%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D142112869530%26itm%3D162901137287&_trksid=p2047675.c100623.m-1

When we sell internationally on ebay here in the US they now have us send to a shipping center that handles the international leg so maybe a better chance than the one from  China.

I should narrow down the search. I live in the Philippines and I just remembered that there is ebay available here. xD