A help question for virtualization!

Go to solution Solved by Theguywhobea,

If she wont budge and doesn't want anything to change, leave her with her current PC.

And if you do upgrade, she doesn't need a 1060 for watching HD videos, the 2200G is plenty for HD content.

So here's the story...

My grandmother has a very old PC that she will absolutely not part with. Its an old E machine running Windows Vista. The reason being it has alot of stuff on it that she needs. I am trying to get her into a new computer, but she wants absolutely nothing to change on the old computer. So I had a bright idea of just using the hard drive from the old computer and getting a new system with a hard drive of its own and maybe getting it to either dual boot or virtualized so she has access to everything on her old computer. I have some parts already to make decent desktop (havent bought them yet) but I'm leaning twoards an AMD Ryzen 3 2200 G, Gigabyte AB350M-DS3H for the motherboard, and  F4-2133C15D-8GVR for the ram. I also have a gtx 1060 3gb that id like to put into this so she can still watch HD and stuff. Now hold on! I know they are two different graphical outputs, but i thought this might help with virtualization. Maybe not. The end game is her having one desktop. She has a giant TV that she uses so i thought i would try to get it so everything was hooked up to this tv and then she can just switch her input on the tv to get her different desktops. Is there an easier way to do this? What do you guys recommend? What should i do? Again she WILL NOT BUDGE on changing anything on her current old cpu.

If she wont budge and doesn't want anything to change, leave her with her current PC.

And if you do upgrade, she doesn't need a 1060 for watching HD videos, the 2200G is plenty for HD content.

Desktop: i9 11900k, 32GB DDR4, 4060 Ti 8GB 🙂

I just had an extra one lying around was trying to do something with it. But thanks!

Ill probably end up leaving her with it, but if anyone has any ideas how i might try to attempt this, it would be appreciated.

9 minutes ago, drkhalo296 said:

Ill probably end up leaving her with it, but if anyone has any ideas how i might try to attempt this, it would be appreciated.

Clone the hard drive onto an SSD. It would probably be too confusing for her if she had multiple options to choose through to boot her system. Alternatively, copy everything to the SSD but use windows 10 instead of vista. That way, almost everything will be in the same place and it is just faster and looks different. 

1 minute ago, cflanders said:

Clone the hard drive onto an SSD. It would probably be too confusing for her if she had multiple options to choose through to boot her system. Alternatively, copy everything to the SSD but use windows 10 instead of vista. That way, almost everything will be in the same place and it is just faster and looks different. 

I thought about that too, but I bet she is old enough that the differences between vista and 10 will be enough to make this a no-go....

1 minute ago, TheGlenlivet said:

I thought about that too, but I bet she is old enough that the differences between vista and 10 will be enough to make this a no-go....

True, maybe try windows 7 since 7 and vista look somewhat similar. Or if she has muscle memory like my grandmother, XP to 7 was no problem neither was 7 to 10.