BOOTMGR is missing after using the same SSD on a new computer

Go to solution Solved by DeathSentinels,

this is a super easy fix
Insert your windows 7 recovery and restart and boot via the disk or USB

• The next screen you see should have the Language, Time and Currency and Keyboard boxes.
  • In the lower left side there are two options: “What to know before installing Windows” and “Repair your computer.”
  • Click "Repair your Computer"
  • Click on CMD Prompt
  • then enter one after another
  • bootrec /FixMbr
    bootrec /FixBoot
    bootrec /RebuildBcd
  • Restart and it should be good to go!

As the tile says.

I had windows 7 on my ssd on the old computer, now built a new one, and this message pops up.

What was the old pc and what is the new one

Have you changed from Amd to intel or vice verca?

Case: NZXT Phantom 410 Cpu: i7 3820 at 4.3 Ghz Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4 | Gpu: XFX hd 7970 Ghz 1100Mhz/1600Mhz Ram: Crucial BallistiX Elite 16GB 2x8 Gb 1866 Mhz

SSD's: 2x Kingston HyperX 3K SSD 120 GB in RAID 0 HDD:Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 Rpm

Cpu cooler: Corsair H100i with SP120's | Psu: Corsair TX 850W My monitors: 3x BenQ 24"  GL2460 = Eyefinity

As the tile says.

I had windows 7 on my ssd on the old computer, now built a new one, and this message pops up.

You can't just pop it into the new computer, you need to do a clean install of Windows.

Do you have any memory sticks plugged in? happend to me once and I almost died.

PC Specs:

CPU: i5 4670K  4.5 GHz  | CPU COOLER: H80i | GPU:EVGA GTX 780Ti  |  Motherboard: MSI Z87I   |  Case: Bitfenix Prodigy  |  RAM: 8GB Avexir Venom  |  HDD: Seagate 1TB , 60GB Agility 3  Monitor: 32" HD TV (LOL)   PSU: Corsair 750W

You can't just pop it into the new computer, you need to do a clean install of Windows.

you're right, but that wouldn't result in bootmgr missing. In some rare cases just swapping them can work so its worth a try. OP, I've had this before, change your boot order. If you cant see your SSD in the boot menu then double check your connections, try a different sata port and see if you can load chipset drivers through the BIOS.

Lastly, if I REALLY needed that OS, I would put the old computer back together, boot and backup the OS onto something, then run a windows installation on the new pc and restore from backup. Failing that, just do a fresh install, copy everything manually and re install all the software, can't be that bad.

“Snorting instant coffee is the best,” said Kayla Johns, 19, of Portland.

this is a super easy fix

• The next screen you see should have the Language, Time and Currency and Keyboard boxes.
  • In the lower left side there are two options: “What to know before installing Windows” and “Repair your computer.”
  • Click on CMD Prompt
  • bootrec /FixMbr
    bootrec /FixBoot
    bootrec /RebuildBcd

this is a super easy fix

• Click on CMD Prompt
  • bootrec /FixMbr

bootrec /FixBoot

bootrec /RebuildBcd

Only thing I would add is that you have to put in your language and keyboard layout before you get the option to repair your computer. But this should work.

HTTP/2 203

Only thing I would add is that you have to put in your language and keyboard layout before you get the option to repair your computer. But this should work.

ahh yes!, especially if its on the Canadian layout by default your / would start turning into ?, that stupid Canadian layout lol

ahh yes!, especially if its on the Canadian layout by default your / would start turning into ?, that stupid Canadian layout lol

The US layout is normally on by default, which messes up UK keyboards. My @ into " and the \ stops working :\

HTTP/2 203

this is a super easy fix

• Click on CMD Prompt
  • bootrec /FixMbr

bootrec /FixBoot

bootrec /RebuildBcd

Yeah I was kinda inpatient and did that and it worked, forgot to come here to check the answers, I'll mark this as solved because this is exactly what I did.

Yeah I was kinda inpatient and did that and it worked, forgot to come here to check the answers, I'll mark this as solved because this is exactly what I did.

Good to hear!, I remember when I first had that happen, my version of windows was OEM, so i didn't have a recovery disk,

nor a secondary computer with the same version to make a recovery drive with, needless to say i was sweating in fear.

I got BOOTMGR is missing, Press Ctrl +Alt + Del to restart. I had done this and goes back to same screen, I have checked the BIOS and reloded the defaults, and it still bring me to this same error. At this situation, I did get Windows Boot Genius from http://download.cnet.com/Windows-Boot-Genius/3000-2094_4-75827488.html  to fix my Dell Windows 7 laptop's "BOOTMGR is missing" error.