Windows Defender

Arman1221
Go to solution Solved by Ace McPlane,
13 minutes ago, Arman1221 said:

Guess it turns out that my RAM(CMK16GX4M2B3000C15) is not compatible with my motherboard (msi x370 gaming plus) as it is not referenced on their compatibility list. Guess I thought the ID's were similair enough that it would just pretty much work. :( 

It's not the end of the world though.

I actually have non-compatible ram too.

You can make it work by learning how to manually overclock ram.

That I can't cover in this thread though.

There's quite a bit to it.

You're going to have to follow some guides on that...

but if you want to make it easy on yourself, start with the XMP profile, then back off the frequency for the ram a bit, and then just try running memtest86 on a flash drive like I said (in fact, do this before assuming anything is wrong with it with just the standard XMP settings before bringing down the frequency).

Anyways, if it is unstable in memteste86, backing off the frequency just a bit and testing again might make it stable without having to touch anything complicated like the timings.

So today I was just surfing youtube waiting looking for a intresting video when suddenly my computer crashed and I go the BSOD, which is not a big issue because I am faced with the error like once a week however after my computer restarted my windows defender had turned off and will not turn back on no matter how many time I press restart.

After searching around I saw that it could be a problem with my registry and that other people have had a similar problem however fixing my registry had no effect and my windows defender is still not working.

Any help is appreciated!

image.png.35b2d69ee442fb5a63cac6b8d6fdaa96.pngimage.png.dca6e604326e9018ec277cea200ea75b.png

could try repairing windows with a boot media

BSOD once a week probably means you've got bigger issues though, 

i7-8700k @ 4.8Ghz | EVGA CLC 280mm | Aorus Z370 Gaming 5 | 16GB G-Skill DDR4-3000 C15 | EVGA RTX 2080 | Corsair RM650x | NZXT S340 Elite | Zowie XL2730 

Having a weekly BSOD is a sign that something is very wrong. Use a bootable media(such as windows installation disc) and use the repair option. What is the error that the BSOD reads?

3 minutes ago, Docretier said:

Having a weekly BSOD is a sign that something is very wrong. Use a bootable media(such as windows installation disc) and use the repair option. What is the error that the BSOD reads?

Unfortunately I dont remember the BSOD error reason, I'll take a picture of it next time.

I'm gonna try and use a bootable media like you suggested.

Isnt it sad that MS has conditioned us that BSOD are "normal"? Honestly yeah they're not. Did you make any recent changes? what kind of hardware are you running? are you overclocking anything? what's the SMART status on your HDD?

AMD Ryzen 3950x under a Noctua D15S, 32 Gb G Skill FlareX 3200 DDR4 running at 3200 CL14, Gigabyte Aorus Pro 570 Wifi, Gigabyte 2070 Super hooked to a Dell U2718Q 4k HDR monitor & an Acer 1440p 144hz IPS panel of some kind, an Inland 1 TB M.2 PCIE 4 main drive, a Samsung NVME M.2 250Gb, WD Blue 500Gb  and 1 TB SSDs, Corsair RMX750, Rainbows and butterflies...

ryzen 5 1600

gtx 1050ti

500gb ssd samsung evo

16gb corsair vengeance 

I guess the status of my HDD is AFK since I dont have one

I've made no recent changes as I only built it late 2017. None of my hardware is currently overclocked or has been for a fair few months.

I restarted my computer again to see if it would in any way fix the situation and my internet connection was lost and my computer was stuck in "airplane mode". So I panicked (as one should) and reset my windows. Everything works now, including windows manager and im just sitting here re-installing some apps.

What does it actually say in System in the Windows Logs in Event Viewer?

Do you know what specific time you got the BSOD? 

Did you manually disable windefend in the registry by creating the DisableAntiSpyware entry?

CPU - INTEL CORE i5-8400 @ 2.80GHz (6CPUs)

GPU - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080

RAM - 16GB

Motherboard - GIGABYTE Z370P

Case - PHANTEKS ECLIPSE P400

Display(s) - ACER PREDATOR XB241H, DELL  S2716DG

Mouse - ROCCAT KONE XTD, LOGITECH G403

Keyboard - RAZER ORNATA, RAZER BLACKWIDOW X TOURNAMENT

18 hours ago, Arman1221 said:

I restarted my computer again to see if it would in any way fix the situation and my internet connection was lost and my computer was stuck in "airplane mode". So I panicked (as one should) and reset my windows. Everything works now, including windows manager and im just sitting here re-installing some apps.

Then it was just a corrupt system file, driver or something. Let us know if the BSOD comes back, but it seems like you're good now to me :)

On 03/05/2018 at 2:14 PM, stateofpsychosis said:

Then it was just a corrupt system file, driver or something. Let us know if the BSOD comes back, but it seems like you're good now to me :)

Ever since then I've only had 1 blue screen and the error was memory management. I'm thinking it might be a RAM problem.
Edit: I've done a sfc scan and found corrupt files, not sure how to tackle this new problem.

image.png

1 hour ago, Arman1221 said:

Ever since then I've only had 1 blue screen and the error was memory management. I'm thinking it might be a RAM problem.
Edit: I've done a sfc scan and found corrupt files, not sure how to tackle this new problem.

image.png

Wow, I've never seen sfc /scannow actually work and do anything :P

Anyways, you ought to do a memtest86 run.

Use the USB drive version of the installer to put it on a flash drive and then boot to it.

It'll run automatically.

Let it go for 24 hours strait.

If there's even a single error, you have bad ram or a bad ram overclock if you've overclocked it.

https://www.memtest86.com/download.htm

9 minutes ago, stateofpsychosis said:

Wow, I've never seen sfc /scannow actually work and do anything :P

Anyways, you ought to do a memtest86 run.

Use the USB drive version of the installer to put it on a flash drive and then boot to it.

It'll run automatically.

Let it go for 24 hours strait.

If there's even a single error, you have bad ram or a bad ram overclock if you've overclocked it.

https://www.memtest86.com/download.htm

Could my X.M.P RAM setting be the cause of the problem? So maybe returning to default will fix the problem?

3 minutes ago, Arman1221 said:

Could my X.M.P RAM setting be the cause of the problem? So maybe returning to default will fix the problem?

XMP profile should work fine as long as it's verified to work at those settings with your motherboard.

Go to the same page where you download your motherboard drivers and there should be a list of compatible memory somewhere on that page.

If your memory isn't listed there, then the XMP profile isn't guaranteed to work and yes it could be a problem.

If it is listed and you still fail a memtest86, then you have bad ram.

7 minutes ago, stateofpsychosis said:

XMP profile should work fine as long as it's verified to work at those settings with your motherboard.

Go to the same page where you download your motherboard drivers and there should be a list of compatible memory somewhere on that page.

If your memory isn't listed there, then the XMP profile isn't guaranteed to work and yes it could be a problem.

If it is listed and you still fail a memtest86, then you have bad ram.

Guess it turns out that my RAM(CMK16GX4M2B3000C15) is not compatible with my motherboard (msi x370 gaming plus) as it is not referenced on their compatibility list. Guess I thought the ID's were similair enough that it would just pretty much work. :( 

13 minutes ago, Arman1221 said:

but if you want to make it easy on yourself, start with the XMP profile, then back off the frequency for the ram a bit, and then just try running memtest86 on a flash drive like I said (in fact, do this before assuming anything is wrong with it with just the standard XMP settings before bringing down the frequency).

Anyways, if it is unstable in memteste86, backing off the frequency just a bit and testing again might make it stable without having to touch anything complicated like the timings.

4 minutes ago, stateofpsychosis said:

Well I guess we got to the root of my problem. I'll be sure to do some research before messing with the RAM frequency.

Thanks for the help tho!:D

6 minutes ago, Arman1221 said:

Well I guess we got to the root of my problem. I'll be sure to do some research before messing with the RAM frequency.

Thanks for the help tho!:D

No prob, but we're actually not sure until you run memtest86 for 24 hours off a flash drive like I said. Don't assume anything until you've done that. If you get 0 errors, your ram is fine the way it is.