Computer won't post. Is there anything I haven't tried?

chckovsky

This morning, my PC turned off suddenly while in use. PSU made the same "click" sound it makes when starting or shutting down the computer. Now it won't boot or POST. I've had similar issues before. That time, the solution was to clear CMOS. This time ithat hasn't worked.

The power LED and RGB lights on the motherboard turn on when the PSU is turned on. When I press the power button on my case or short the connectors on the board, the boot process doesn't start. None of the POST state LEDs light up. After between 2 to 15 seconds, the power LED and RGB lights go dark.

I've tested the PSU, GPU and SSD in another computer, all still work fine. I've tried to put one or two sticks of ram in any combination of slots but nothing changes. I've tried clearing the CMOS, a different PSU, a different SSD. No response. I don't have other DDR4 sticks to test though.

The motherboard was warm but not uncomfortable to touch, there was no smoke or burnt smell. While troubleshooting I accidentally left the PSU on for 15 minutes, and the ROG logo heatsink over what I assume is the chipset (marked “Intel Z270” in the manual) and surrunding areas became uncomfortably hot to touch. Otherwise the board was cold.

CPU has not been overclocked (but MCE was enabled). The CPU was under about 15-30% load the hour or so leading up to the failure (web browsing). My other computer was running, plugged into the same power circuit, and functioning while this happened, so faulty power seems unlikely. Since none of the POST state LEDs light up, I assume it's a motherboard issue.

Help, please?

PC Specs:

Intel Core i7 7700K @ stock speeds

Asus RoG Strix 1080

Asus RoG Strix Z270E

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x 8GB 3000MHz

Corsair H115i w/ Noctua fans

HyperX Fury 240GB SSD

Cooler Master V650

Fractal Define R5

Main rig: i7 8086K // EVGA Z370 Micro // 16GB Gskill TridentZ 3200Mhz CL14 // Sapphire Pulse RX 7800XT// a variety of noctua cooling // Corsair RM750x v2 //  Fractal Meshify C

Secondary rig: R5 3600 // MSI B450i Gaming Plus // 16GB Gskill FlareX 3200CL14 // MSI GTX 1080ti Gaming X // Cooler Master V650 // Fractal Meshify C

Audio setup: Audient iD4 // Adam A7X // Sennheiser HD 650 // Sennheiser HD 25-II // Audio Technica M50x // Sennheiser Momentum 4

if it's not posting AND not giving an error code , i would assume the board went kaput , especially if a cmos reset did nothing and playing musical chairs with the ram also did nothing.

20 minutes ago, chckovsky said:

That time, the solution was to clear CMOS. This time ithat hasn't worked.

try pulling the cmos battery and move the reset pin for cmos and let it sit for awhile . . 30 min or so. then go back to it.  Probably wont work but worth a try again...

check if ram is in qvl list, if not maybe it doesnt work ( its quite common with ddr4 )

also if the psu makes a click sound it means it drained the power fuly

(◑‿◐)

4 minutes ago, Valkyrie Lenneth said:

check if ram is in qvl list, if not maybe it doesnt work ( its quite common with ddr4 )

also if the psu makes a click sound it means it drained the power fuly

Well it has worked for the last 6 months. With and without XMP.

And what? - my V650 clicks whenever I turn the pc on or off. It does this with other motherboards as well. Is there something wrong with it?

EDIT: my V650 also clicks when i test it by shorting the pins on the 24 pin.

Main rig: i7 8086K // EVGA Z370 Micro // 16GB Gskill TridentZ 3200Mhz CL14 // Sapphire Pulse RX 7800XT// a variety of noctua cooling // Corsair RM750x v2 //  Fractal Meshify C

Secondary rig: R5 3600 // MSI B450i Gaming Plus // 16GB Gskill FlareX 3200CL14 // MSI GTX 1080ti Gaming X // Cooler Master V650 // Fractal Meshify C

Audio setup: Audient iD4 // Adam A7X // Sennheiser HD 650 // Sennheiser HD 25-II // Audio Technica M50x // Sennheiser Momentum 4

1 minute ago, chckovsky said:

Well it has worked for the last 6 months. With and without XMP.

And what? - my V650 clicks whenever I turn the pc on or off. It does this with other motherboards as well. Is there something wrong with it?

psu make a click sound when it is fully drained from power, its basicly letting u know its drained :v

my psu only emits a click sound if i hold the powerbutton after unplugging ( to fully drain it )

since its not posting it could be death of cpu-ram-mobo basicly, other hard to detect

only ting u can do is test cpu . ram in another system

(◑‿◐)

3 hours ago, Beowulff83 said:

try pulling the cmos battery and move the reset pin for cmos and let it sit for awhile . . 30 min or so. then go back to it.  Probably wont work but worth a try again...

Didn't do any good unfortunately.

3 hours ago, Valkyrie Lenneth said:

psu make a click sound when it is fully drained from power, its basicly letting u know its drained :v

my psu only emits a click sound if i hold the powerbutton after unplugging ( to fully drain it )

since its not posting it could be death of cpu-ram-mobo basicly, other hard to detect

only ting u can do is test cpu . ram in another system

I'm getting a ryzen system soon, at least I'll be able to test the memory then :P

Would you say this is a user error or should I be able to RMA the motherboard? I bought it new six months ago so it's still under warranty...  Unless overclocking breaks the warranty?

Just now, chckovsky said:

Didn't do any good unfortunately.

I'm getting a ryzen system soon, at least I'll be able to test the memory then :P

Would you say this is a user error or should I be able to RMA the motherboard? I bought it new six months ago so it's still under warranty...  Unless overclocking breaks the warranty?

dont rma a thing unless u know what it is, test ram in a different pc > different pc same sign? dead ram,   same for cpu if reqiured

(◑‿◐)

On 4/29/2018 at 8:37 PM, Valkyrie Lenneth said:

dont rma a thing unless u know what it is, test ram in a different pc > different pc same sign? dead ram,   same for cpu if reqiured

So I've now tested both the CPU and ram in another compatible board. The RAM works with a different CPU, the CPU works with different RAM, and they both work together. That sounds like a dead motherboard then, right? :/

On 4-5-2018 at 10:32 AM, chckovsky said:

So I've now tested both the CPU and ram in another compatible board. The RAM works with a different CPU, the CPU works with different RAM, and they both work together. That sounds like a dead motherboard then, right? :/

pretty much

(◑‿◐)