FPS locked at 60FPS, GTX 1070SC

ryguy015
Go to solution Solved by ryguy015,

Issue is solved, someone else helped me figure it out see the solution here http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3691911/fps-locked.html

No matter what game i run, my fps counter only shows at most 60 fps. I have tried csgo, overwatch, pubg, R6 siege, Fortnite. All will only display up to 60fps. I have tried turning v-sync on both in game and in Nvidia control panel. I have also tried turing v-sync off on both. I have also tried leaving 1 on and the other off. I have also tried different monitors, and i have also tried only running 1 monitor at a time. I am about fed up at this point. I want to be able to utilize my 240hz monitor.

Current Build:
CPU: i7 3770k
RAM: 4x4gb G. Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1866
Motherboard: ASRock z77 Extreme 4
HDD: 2TB Seagate Barracuda
GPU: GTX 1070sc
Monitors: 2x LG 2560x1080 ultrawide @60hz, 1x Asus ROG swift 1920x1080 @240hz

Set your resolution to 1920x1080 and select 240Hz on the refresh drop down in Nvidia control panel.  Also make sure the game resolution is set to 1920x1080@240 instead of @ 60.

Workstation:  14700nonK || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 13700K @ Stock || MSI Z690 DDR4 || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3060 RTX Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

Just now, AnonymousGuy said:

Set your resolution to 1920x1080 and select 240Hz on the refresh drop down in Nvidia control panel.  Also make sure the game resolution is set to 1920x1080@240 instead of @ 60.

Thanks, but I already did set it to 240hz though the nvidia control panel. also when you say set game resolution you mean in game right? if so I already did that to the best of my ability. in other words i found the overwatch option for 240hz but not csgo's. Even after i did that on overwatch i still get at most 60fps

Just now, Keelan said:

If above doesn't work may be worth completely wiping your drivers using DDU and reinstalling them.

DDU: http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

Latest drivers: https://www.geforce.co.uk/geforce-experience/download

sigh, didnt want to do that but im out of options at this point. will update.

Ok so i did the DDU and got my drivers updated, but still capped at 59fps

First click on all setting at the lower right within the Window option menu, then system.

Then click on 1 in the picture, and then select the refresh rate in 2 in the picture. 

hzzzzzz.png

If anyone asks you never saw me.

3 minutes ago, App4that said:

First click on all setting at the lower right within the Window option menu, then system.

Then click on 1 in the picture, and then select the refresh rate in 2 in the picture. 

hzzzzzz.png

image.png.d95d81b3093ba4527e1ff79c0fac62df.png

click on "hide modes that this monitor cannot display" then apply

See if 240 goes away. I know your display supports it, but you'll find out what the issue is. 

4 minutes ago, App4that said:

click on "hide modes that this monitor cannot display" then apply

See if 240 goes away. I know your display supports it, but you'll find out what the issue is. 

I sure hope so, ive been talking with nvidia support for 3 hours and my case just went up to more qualified technicians. Also I cant seem to click on that box its greyed out and wont let me  click it

Does your monitor info menu say it's running @ 240 HZ?

Workstation:  14700nonK || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 13700K @ Stock || MSI Z690 DDR4 || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3060 RTX Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

Just now, AnonymousGuy said:

Does your monitor info menu say it's running @ 240 HZ?

yes

Adjust image settings with preview -> Let the 3D application decide?

If your montior says it's running @ 240 Hz then it's got to be the game that's getting frame rate capped somehow.  Can you also try a lower value like 120Hz just in case these games freak out about 240 and drop to a 60 default?

1 minute ago, AnonymousGuy said:

Adjust image settings with preview -> Let the 3D application decide?

If your montior says it's running @ 240 Hz then it's got to be the game that's getting frame rate capped somehow.  Can you also try a lower value like 120Hz just in case these games freak out about 240 and drop to a 60 default?

Thats what it was originally set at, i tried lowering it too. nothing. still 60 fps

Your side monitors are 60HZ, if the game thinks they're being used it will cap it at 30fps. I'd try unplugging the side monitors and seeing if that fixes it, if it does you need to figure out why the game is using the side monitors as well. 

1 hour ago, App4that said:

Your side monitors are 60HZ, if the game thinks they're being used it will cap it at 30fps. I'd try unplugging the side monitors and seeing if that fixes it, if it does you need to figure out why the game is using the side monitors as well. 

Done, unplugging the monitors did not change the results

Thats, freaking weird...

Only other thing I can think of is a possible global framerate cap in an overlay. Steam or something like Afterburner. Can't hurt to check both. 

Man, really sorry you're going through this, can't be fun. Been there. 

1 minute ago, App4that said:

Thats, freaking weird...

Only other thing I can think of is a possible global framerate cap in an overlay. Steam or something like Afterburner. Can't hurt to check both. 

Man, really sorry you're going through this, can't be fun. Been there. 

Thats what ive been thinking too, i just dont know which program it is and where to disable that. I have steam, Razer Cortex, GeForce Experience, Epic Games Launcher, Battle.net, Origin. Btw, i have tried more games and all are capped at 60. no matter what game launcher i use (battle.net, origin, steam, etc.)

My guess is it would be Razor Cortex. Bit of a pain in the ass, but might try removing Razor Cortex and installing Afterburner. You would have to set up the overlay once you do within Afterburner to enable the fps tracking.

So you might want to spend some time in Razor Cortex going through the different options first. 

Just now, App4that said:

My guess is it would be Razor Cortex. Bit of a pain in the ass, but might try removing Razor Cortex and installing Afterburner. You would have to set up the overlay once you do within Afterburner to enable the fps tracking.

So you might want to spend some time in Razor Cortex going through the different options first. 

why would i install msi afterburner when i dont have any of their products in my pc

Yes, Afterburner is my go to regardless of hardware manufacturer because it comes with RivaTuner. I've also never had any of the issues with Afterburner I have with other software, such as stuttering in games if you use the overlay. 

Personal preference though, always use what you like using. 

3 hours ago, App4that said:

Yes, Afterburner is my go to regardless of hardware manufacturer because it comes with RivaTuner. I've also never had any of the issues with Afterburner I have with other software, such as stuttering in games if you use the overlay. 

Personal preference though, always use what you like using. 

I can just use steams overlay for fps tracking. I uninstalled cortex and Geforce Experience and still am getting locked at 60fps

I'm out of ideas, makes no sense. Somehow Vsync or a cap is active but I don't know of any other place it could hide. If you know anyone with another displayport cable you could try another cable, but never heard of one causing a cap. 

2 minutes ago, App4that said:

I'm out of ideas, makes no sense. Somehow Vsync or a cap is active but I don't know of any other place it could hide. If you know anyone with another displayport cable you could try another cable, but never heard of one causing a cap. 

I created another post on toms hardware, and i was told to download Nvidia inspector. Its like Nvidia control panel but runs smoother and has more features. Anyways it has a built in fps limiter so i set it to 240 and ran some games. Overwatch starts out at 240 then drops like a rock and holds at 60. Meanwhile CSGO goes to 120 and holds. So im really confused too.