Gigabyte GTX 1070 Underperforming

Msuni
1 minute ago, October22nd said:

Ok thanks for the info, would just buying a better CPU like an i7 8700k resolve the problem?

Yes. But that also requires a 300 series board. Don't try getting an older board to work with the CPU as it may not work or it may not be stable.

Just now, M.Yurizaki said:

Yes. But that also requires a 300 series board. Don't try getting an older board to work with the CPU as it may not work or it may not be stable.

Oh no yeah i know about the board compatibility problem with my one.

8 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

I just can't understand how that yes we have CPU that are roughly the same on performance, but i have a 1070 and he has a 1050ti, surely that would result in me getting better performance?

6 minutes ago, October22nd said:

I just can't understand how that yes we have CPU that are roughly the same on performance, but i have a 1070 and he has a 1050ti, surely that would result in me getting better performance?

The CPU is in charge of giving the GPU work, and in a game, the CPU only gives GPU work when all of the necessary game logic is run, because the output you see on the screen is a visual representation of the game's state.

So if the CPU is capable of sending say 60 render commands to the GPU per second, that's the most you can get, regardless of how powerful the GPU is. The GPU may be able to complete the work faster, but until the CPU gives it more work, it's going to sit there idling.

You running the game in 1080p right ? if so use nvidia's dsr to run the game in 1440p. Cpu usage should go down and gpu usage should go up and give in theory better fps

Let's agree to disagree

7 minutes ago, MrTiC said:

You running the game in 1080p right ? if so use nvidia's dsr to run the game in 1440p. Cpu usage should go down and gpu usage should go up and give in theory better fps

Yes i am using 1080p. I'll give that a go

44 minutes ago, MrTiC said:

So i gave it ago GTA 5 in 1440p with max setting had 100% gpu usage getting around 70-80 fps with often drops in the the 50s which was massively noticeable. 1440p lowest settings got around 100-120 fps with very very often drops into the 40s and 50s. Lastly in 4k i got around 80% gpu usage with often dips on lowest settings getting around 120-130 fps with often dips making it unplayable for me. Thanks for the suggestion!!! :)