Gigabyte GTX 1070 Underperforming

Msuni

Ok so i have an i5 6500 @ 3.20GHz, Gigabyte GTX 1070, 8gb ram and a 600w PSU and my PC isn't performing as well as it should my friend who has an i3 and a gtx 1050ti can run GTA 5 on max settings 1080 and get 50-70 fps i can barely run the game on the lowest settings at 1080p with around 40-80 fps. What is wrong? Windows and my drivers are up-to-date. I have even cleaned the inside of my pc as well. GPU usage is around 60% CPU usage is 100% temps are 40-50'c. So i have no idea what the problem is.

100% cpu usage is one of your problems. How hot does it run? 

Are a cores maxed or just one? 

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

Run user benchmark.  How are your GPU temps?  Does you case have good airflow?  If your GPU gets too hot it will throttle down it's performance.  Also, check the thermal mating between your CPU and cooler.

I edit the shit out of my posts.  Refresh before you respond.

25 minutes ago, FloRolf said:

100% cpu usage is one of your problems. How hot does it run? 

Are a cores maxed or just one? 

All 4 cores are 100%

25 minutes ago, Queen Chrysalis said:

Run user benchmark.  How are your GPU temps?  Does you case have good airflow?  If your GPU gets too hot it will throttle down it's performance.  Also, check the thermal mating between your CPU and cooler.

My GPU temps are around 40-50

1 minute ago, October22nd said:

My GPU temps are around 40-50

That's fine.  Why is your CPU taxed so heavily?  Try reinstalling windows and avoid as much bloatware as possible.

I edit the shit out of my posts.  Refresh before you respond.

1 minute ago, Queen Chrysalis said:

That's fine.  Why is your CPU taxed so heavily?  Try reinstalling windows and avoid as much bloatware as possible.

yes, but first maybe try to take an screenshot of your task manager 

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K @4.9 GHz 6-Core Processor CPU Cooler: be quiet! - Dark Rock Pro 3 67.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU CoolerMotherboard: MSI - Z370I GAMING PRO CARBON AC Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard Memory: PNY - Anarchy 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 @3000 MemoryStorage: 960 evo 500gbVideo Card:place holderCase: Phanteks - Enthoo EVOLV ITX TG (Black) Mini ITX Desktop Case Power Supply:SeaSonic - EVO Edition 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply Case Fan: be quiet! - SilentWings 3 pwm 59.5 CFM  140mm Fan Case Fan: be quiet! - SilentWings 3 PWM High-Speed 73.3 CFM  120mm Fan Case Fan: be quiet! - SilentWings 3 PWM High-Speed 73.3 CFM  120mm Fan Monitor: Dell - S2716DG 27.0" 2560x1440 144Hz Monitor Mouse: Place holder Sony H.ear on Wireless Noise Cancelling Headphone, Charcoal Black (MDR100ABN/B)  LEOBOG K26 Wired RGB Mechanical Keyboard,Gaming Keyboard,RGB Color Backlight,104 Key,Anti-Ghosting For Full Key,Blue Switches,Aluminum Chassis,Detachable wrist rest,PC,Computer, Laptop,BLACK (Black)EZDIY-FAB Sleeved Cable - Cable extension for power supply with extra-sleeved 24 PIN 8PIN 6PIN 4+4 PIN With COMBS- Black Grey

pcpartpicker: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/resdal42/saved/sCW6XL

10 minutes ago, Queen Chrysalis said:

I actually done a factory reset like 2 or 3 days ago

2 minutes ago, October22nd said:

I actually done a factory reset like 2 or 3 days ago

right, but is this some sort of pre-built? 

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K @4.9 GHz 6-Core Processor CPU Cooler: be quiet! - Dark Rock Pro 3 67.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU CoolerMotherboard: MSI - Z370I GAMING PRO CARBON AC Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard Memory: PNY - Anarchy 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 @3000 MemoryStorage: 960 evo 500gbVideo Card:place holderCase: Phanteks - Enthoo EVOLV ITX TG (Black) Mini ITX Desktop Case Power Supply:SeaSonic - EVO Edition 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply Case Fan: be quiet! - SilentWings 3 pwm 59.5 CFM  140mm Fan Case Fan: be quiet! - SilentWings 3 PWM High-Speed 73.3 CFM  120mm Fan Case Fan: be quiet! - SilentWings 3 PWM High-Speed 73.3 CFM  120mm Fan Monitor: Dell - S2716DG 27.0" 2560x1440 144Hz Monitor Mouse: Place holder Sony H.ear on Wireless Noise Cancelling Headphone, Charcoal Black (MDR100ABN/B)  LEOBOG K26 Wired RGB Mechanical Keyboard,Gaming Keyboard,RGB Color Backlight,104 Key,Anti-Ghosting For Full Key,Blue Switches,Aluminum Chassis,Detachable wrist rest,PC,Computer, Laptop,BLACK (Black)EZDIY-FAB Sleeved Cable - Cable extension for power supply with extra-sleeved 24 PIN 8PIN 6PIN 4+4 PIN With COMBS- Black Grey

11 minutes ago, IAnthonyFX said:

right, but is this some sort of pre-built? 

Yes it was a prebuilt. But I did the recovery where you wipe everything from the pc.

3 minutes ago, October22nd said:

Yes it was a prebuilt. But I did the recovery where you wipe everything from the pc.

I do suggest you to give us a screenshot of your task manager.

41 minutes ago, IAnthonyFX said:

I do suggest you to give us a screenshot of your task manager.

I will send one tomorrow its 10 past midnight here atm so I'm going to bed. Also this pc originally and with GTX 970 and I upgraded to the 1070.

18 hours ago, October22nd said:

I will send one tomorrow its 10 past midnight here atm so I'm going to bed. Also this pc originally and with GTX 970 and I upgraded to the 1070.

4.PNG.973d563bf6a14456b737e1ceda14ce32.PNG3.PNG.072e4771f63325641cd5c2669a37f498.PNG2.PNG.6db1a2068e616fe2007140796cd8f8d6.PNG1.PNG.7033142d8dd76093a41610cfab6125bd.PNGdownload.jpg.d701b0c9ec5cdb0cc11a1f41ed3cb5cf.jpg

My task manager has MANY things on it that i don't know what they are so i don't know what's needed.

When you have the game up, can you post a screen shot of the Processes tab but with the game visible in the list?  Would like to see how much CPU it's using.

Though on idle, it doesn't really appear that the system is busy. Cortana might be doing her shady business but that might be a one-off.

28 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

When you have the game up, can you post a screen shot of the Processes tab but with the game visible in the list?  Would like to see how much CPU it's using.

Though on idle, it doesn't really appear that the system is busy. Cortana might be doing her shady business but that might be a one-off.

My CPU % when actually playing is 100% not 81, because i had to pause the game to take the screen shot.

Capture.PNG

9 minutes ago, October22nd said:

My CPU % when actually playing is 100% not 81, because i had to pause the game to take the screen shot.

Yeah, it looks like the game is eating up most of the CPU. Since the CPU is capped, the game's performance will be limited and the 1070 looks like it's handling whatever the CPU tells it to do with ease. Especially since you mentioned you're running the game at minimal graphical settings.

11 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Yeah, it looks like the game is eating up most of the CPU. Since the CPU is capped, the game's performance will be limited and the 1070 looks like it's handling whatever the CPU tells it to do with ease. Especially since you mentioned you're running the game at minimal graphical settings.

Well actually on the last screen shot the game was basically on max. How wouldni go about fixing the problem like reducing the cpu usage. Seems like the gpu usage is too low, It's like 30-60%.

Edited by October22nd

7 minutes ago, October22nd said:

Well actually on the last screen shot the game was basically on max. How wouldni go about fixing the problem like reducing the cpu usage. Seems like the gpu usage is too low, It's like 30-60%.

If the game is taking up basically 90+% of the CPU utilization, there's usually nothing you can do about it. There are rarely any game options that would affect how much CPU usage it uses.

13 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

If the game is taking up basically 90+% of the CPU utilization, there's usually nothing you can do about it. There are rarely any game options that would affect how much CPU usage it uses.

So you're saying that I just have to put up with the fact that my friends pc which is far worse than mine gets better performance in gta? 

1 hour ago, October22nd said:

So you're saying that I just have to put up with the fact that my friends pc which is far worse than mine gets better performance in gta? 

Without knowing what kind of i3 your friend has, it's possible that their CPU performance either matches or beats your i5-6400. I've found at least one review that shows the i3-6100 roughly matching the performance of the i5-6400, both in a low and high resolution test. If your friend has a Coffee Lake i3, then all bets are off that your CPU is better.

4 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Without knowing what kind of i3 your friend has, it's possible that their CPU performance either matches or beats your i5-6400. I've found at least one review that shows the i3-6100 roughly matching the performance of the i5-6400, both in a low and high resolution test. If your friend has a Coffee Lake i3, then all bets are off that your CPU is better.

I have an i5 6500 and he has the Intel Pentium G4600 7th Gen

10 minutes ago, October22nd said:

Also when i get fps drops the GPU usage drops by like half. Is there a way to increase it?

On 4/25/2018 at 11:33 AM, October22nd said:

In your OP you've mentioned he has an i3. :S

Anyway, found a review that makes it looks like the G4600 can almost keep up with an i5-7400 in GTA V (111 vs. 117 on average). I also found a YouTube video showing that the Pentium G4600 seems to perform the same as the i3-6100 (which I noted earlier performs about the same in games as the i5-6500). So basically, the Pentium G4600 can keep up with your processor in terms of average performance.

On 4/25/2018 at 11:46 AM, October22nd said:

Also when i get fps drops the GPU usage drops by like half. Is there a way to increase it?

If the CPU usage is 100%, there's nothing you can do about it. The CPU is too taxed to give the GPU render commands. If the CPU usage is not 100%, the source of the problem isn't so cut and dry, and it's likely there's nothing you can do if you're sure the system software (drivers, OS, etc.) are up to date and otherwise working fine.

3 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

In your OP you've mentioned he has an i3. :S

Anyway, found a review that makes it looks like the G4600 can almost keep up with an i5-7400 in GTA V (111 vs. 117 on average). I also found a YouTube video showing that the Pentium G4600 seems to perform the same as the i3-6100 (which I noted earlier performs about the same in games as the i5-6500). So basically, the Pentium G4600 can keep up with your processor in terms of average performance.

If the CPU usage is 100%, there's nothing you can do about it. The CPU is too taxed to give the GPU render commands. If the CPU usage is not 100%, the source of the problem isn't so cut and dry, and it's likely there's nothing you can do if you're sure the system software (drivers, OS, etc.) are up to date and otherwise working fine.

Ok thanks for the info, would just buying a better CPU like an i7 8700k resolve the problem?