HIGH DPI + LOW SENSITIVITY or LOW DPI + HIGH SENSITIVITY in Overwatch

Hi, 

I was wondering which one is better: 

High DPI + Low sensitivity 

or

Low DPI + High sensitivity

Preferably in Overwatch although other games are fine. 

Thank you! 

13 minutes ago, SupaTech said:

Set your sensitivity in windows to the 6th notch with no enhanced point precision, then use a low dpi with 100% sensitivity

Maybe 400-800. A lower dpi with no acceleration allows you to be more accurate in fps games once you get used to it.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

Define "Better"

If you're trying to avoid pixel skipping, a higher DPI and lower sensitivity would make sense. If you dont care, it's completely up to personal preference when navigating Windows.

Ya, sensitivity in ow seems sloppy to me at higher settings. I would rather have higher DPI.

Im using 560dpi with 12sens. But i got a small space for mouse movements, and im just a filthy gold player. :o

So dpi  is how many times your mouse pulls from the desk and sensitivity is a software based solution for increasing or decreasing your mouse movement speed. But you already new that of course. If you think about it then, high dpi low sens is the best, as your mouse will then be sending the most amount of data it can to the computer. This makes a very minor difference but you wanted better, so that is what I am giving you.

Here you will find a calculator to work out your new sens if you want to use the highest dpi settings on your mouse. Remeber this won't make a huge difference but still, you wanted better.

important figure in mensa

15 hours ago, Jihakuz said:

So dpi  is how many times your mouse pulls from the desk and sensitivity is a software based solution for increasing or decreasing your mouse movement speed. But you already new that of course. If you think about it then, high dpi low sens is the best, as your mouse will then be sending the most amount of data it can to the computer. This makes a very minor difference but you wanted better, so that is what I am giving you.

Here you will find a calculator to work out your new sens if you want to use the highest dpi settings on your mouse. Remeber this won't make a huge difference but still, you wanted better.

That's not necessarily true.  From an electrical engineering standpoint increasing the resolution of the sensor is also increasing the amount of noise in that data.  By lowering the resolution you can take advantage of binning/averaging which will reduce the noise/jitter in your movements.  Each sensor generally has a sweet spot in both polling rate and DPI for the best signal to noise ratio and usability.

6 hours ago, ShredBird said:

That's not necessarily true.  From an electrical engineering standpoint increasing the resolution of the sensor is also increasing the amount of noise in that data.  By lowering the resolution you can take advantage of binning/averaging which will reduce the noise/jitter in your movements.  Each sensor generally has a sweet spot in both polling rate and DPI for the best signal to noise ratio and usability.

Didn't know that, thanks. So I guess it is just down to preference then :P

important figure in mensa

9 hours ago, ShredBird said:

Woah did not know that ... thanx dude. 

On 4/22/2018 at 8:22 PM, Jihakuz said:

Thanks. Website was rlly helpul

On 4/22/2018 at 7:29 PM, BeefyMeats said:

Ya, sensitivity in ow seems sloppy to me at higher settings. I would rather have higher DPI.

Im using 560dpi with 12sens. But i got a small space for mouse movements, and im just a filthy gold player. :o

I'm currently running 400 dpi 7.5 sens. I'm out of comp for this season. The number of throwers, smurfs and 4 dps teams I get is unreal O.o

8 hours ago, Jihakuz said:

Didn't know that, thanks. So I guess it is just down to preference then :P

I do understand the argument of high DPI / Low Sensitivity though, try to maximize the precision within a range of motion, but there will be diminishing and/or detrimental returns on tracking at some point.  So yes, play with settings and find what fits for you and your mouse. ?