5 year old First Build, Need Upgrade Advice

Puddleduck

So my first build has held up well over the years, but I've realized I can no longer play games (ie. Final Fantasy 15, Vermintide 2) in 1080p. I'm looking to upgrade my GPU, but considering how expensive all the higher end cards are; I'm not sure if I should get a GTX 1060 3GB/ or 6GB, or wait until prices drop/GTX 11XX comes? Especially under the Canadian ruble. After reading a bunch of benchmarks, it seems that even a GTX 1060 6GB can barely hold steady at 60 FPS for high/ultra quality in Final Fantasy. So I'm wondering what decision would be the best value. I can be patient for a while longer, since I mostly play Overwatch and it's already been so long since I built this. But it would be nice to get a new card at an ideal time. 

CPU: Intel - Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor (OC @ 4.5GHz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - Hyper 212 EVO 
Motherboard: Biostar - TZ68K+ ATX LGA1155
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600
Storage: Samsung - 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" SSD,  WD - 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM 
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card 
Case: Antec - One Hundred ATX Mid Tower Case 
Power Supply: Corsair - 500W 80+ Bronze Certified

Personally, I’d recommend saving up to also upgrade to a newer platform for CPU architecture as well. 1100 series cards from Nvidia are expected in July last I saw, which should have more normal GPU pricing. Also not too desperate to upgrade, I would say there’s no rush, so if you’re in a good spot to save a few more months and upgrade, that’s where I’d be on my personal opinion.

You should wait for GTX 1100 series GPU's. 

In the meanwhile try and search for ways to optimize current games for lower end hardware, overclock GPU, put settings down etc.

Thank you Unleashed and Yoola for your advice. I was hoping that wasn't going to be the truth, but it does seem like the best option. In fact, I might pass this build to a family member and start mostly from scratch, since I have learned a bit more about what parts I want, and am more confident in building. Here's to hoping I can pick up something from this year's LTX!

You'll definitely want to get a used card. What's your budget? 

By the way, I'm looking to trade Canadian Amazon credit for American at a loss, so if you use Amazon and want to make a couple bucks let me know. 

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

@JoostinOnline

The most I could justify spending on a GPU is probably $400 CAD (~$300 USD). Not so comfortable with buying used though, especially since the cards in my area still seem to be in high demand (prefer having warranty and travel is inconvenient for me).  I see Wanted's trying to scoop up all 1060/1070/1080s still, and a broken 1060 6GB is going for $150??

I watch Scrapyard Wars wishing I could still get cards for the same prices...

I’ve seen GPU prices on a down trend (monitoring for when I buy parts for my first build) and they’ve been getting closer to MSRP. Last I saw 1060 6GB was $339. 

Also just a tip on posts you make, use the arrow at the bottom of a message to quote someone so they get a notification that you replied.

0E20FCB7-DFAB-4396-9508-4C40B60C1584.jpeg

2 hours ago, UnleashedPride said:

I’ve seen GPU prices on a down trend (monitoring for when I buy parts for my first build) and they’ve been getting closer to MSRP. Last I saw 1060 6GB was $339. 

Also just a tip on posts you make, use the arrow at the bottom of a message to quote someone so they get a notification that you replied.

Thanks for the tip! I've been watching for 1060 6GBs, and they do seem to be lowering in Canada as well. I heard it's best to get a model with more than one fan for noise reduction, so I'm wondering if I should pull the trigger next time one drops to around $350 CAD (which is still $30 CAD over MSRP). Or should I not be picky and go with something like this one? ($304 usd, 14 day return window)

Edit: It's so tempting to throw budgeting out the window and go for a GTX 1080 at $600 USD...

12 hours ago, Puddleduck said:

@JoostinOnline

The most I could justify spending on a GPU is probably $400 CAD (~$300 USD). Not so comfortable with buying used though, especially since the cards in my area still seem to be in high demand (prefer having warranty and travel is inconvenient for me).  I see Wanted's trying to scoop up all 1060/1070/1080s still, and a broken 1060 6GB is going for $150??

I watch Scrapyard Wars wishing I could still get cards for the same prices...

A card fried from mining isn't fixable. That's one of the only things that will damage a GPU, the others being physical. That's why I wouldn't worry too much about a warranty. Look for a used 980, which has almost identical performance. You should download the letgo and Offer Up apps. 

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

i would wait a few months before upgrading or rebuilding.  unless your performance is so bad right now you cant wait

PC Build: R5-1600.  Scythe Mugen 5.  GTX 1060.  120 GB SSD.  1 TB HDD.  FDD Mini C.  8 GB RAM (3000 MHz).  Be Quiet Pure Wings 2.  Capstone-550.  Deepcool 350 RGB.

Peripherals: Qisan Magicforce (80%) w/ Gateron Blues.  Razer Naga Chroma.  Lenovo 24" 1440p IPS.  PS4 Controller.

Audio: Focusrite (Solo, 2nd), SM57, Triton Fethead, AKG c214, Sennheiser HD598's, ATH-M50x, AKG K240, Novation Launchkey

Wishlist: MP S-87, iPad, Yamaha HS5's, more storage