Spontaneous wifi disconnection on a windows 10 laptop

Delusional Phil

Hi, I've been using this HP Envy x360 15 inch (15m-bp112dx) for 4 months now and the wifi would disconnect at random intervals, I say random but it more like 15-20 minutes a time and it takes close to a minute to reconnect. At first I thought it was a settings thing, mainly the 'Use Random Hardware Address setting', I turned it off but the issue persists, albeit at longer intervals (Possibly once every hour) . I'm not sure if this is a windows 10 problem or a hardware problem. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thank you.

... Life is a game and the checkpoints are your birthday , you will face challenges where you may not get rewarded afterwords but those are the challenges that help you improve yourself . Always live for tomorrow because you may never know when your game will be over ... I'm totally not going insane in anyway , shape or form ... I just have broken English and an open mind ... 

Open it up and check on the wifi card itself.

it's time

Just now, RollTime said:

Open it up and check on the wifi card itself.

One small problem... I don't have the tools at home to pry the plastic strips at the bottom out (There are screws under those plastic strips). I heard that a guitar pick would do the trick but I don't own one... Is there any other tool I can use to get them out or do I have to them to a shop? (The plastic strips are really firmly sealed in their sockets too)

... Life is a game and the checkpoints are your birthday , you will face challenges where you may not get rewarded afterwords but those are the challenges that help you improve yourself . Always live for tomorrow because you may never know when your game will be over ... I'm totally not going insane in anyway , shape or form ... I just have broken English and an open mind ... 

18 minutes ago, Delusional Phil said:

One small problem... I don't have the tools at home to pry the plastic strips at the bottom out (There are screws under those plastic strips). I heard that a guitar pick would do the trick but I don't own one... Is there any other tool I can use to get them out or do I have to them to a shop? (The plastic strips are really firmly sealed in their sockets too)

Credit card? I don't own an HP Envy, so I'm not entirely sure what you're talking about. To me sounds like any thin flexible tool will work.

it's time

7 minutes ago, RollTime said:

Credit card? I don't own an HP Envy, so I'm not entirely sure what you're talking about. To me sounds like any thin flexible tool will work.

There's an indent which held the screw but the plastic strip sits on top of the indent, the strip's edge sits beneath the indent and there's no room to insert something under the indent. 

Just now, Delusional Phil said:

There's an indent which held the screw but the plastic strip sits on top of the indent, the strip's edge sits beneath the indent and there's no room to insert something under the indent. 

Then I suppose buy a tool, if you can't find anything around your house.

it's time

Just now, RollTime said:

Yeah I might fiddle with it later with a credit card or something, just have to find the correct glue that would adhere to both plastic and metal to stick it back. 

Just now, RollTime said:

Yeah I might fiddle with it later with a credit card or something, just have to find the correct glue that would adhere to both plastic and metal to stick it back. 

13 minutes ago, RollTime said:

What are the usual abnormality do I need to keep an eye out for? I have never seen the interior of a laptop before but I can guess where the wifi card is located.

38 minutes ago, RollTime said:

It's a six pointed star screw... I'm screwed for I don't own one. Have to take it outside then... 

2 hours ago, Delusional Phil said:

What are the usual abnormality do I need to keep an eye out for? I have never seen the interior of a laptop before but I can guess where the wifi card is located.

http://www.irisvista.com/tech/laptops/Toshiba-Satellite-L355D/big/laptop-disassembly-guide-14.jpg You should be looking for something like this, the slot itself is called mini pcie.

2 hours ago, Delusional Phil said:

It's a six pointed star screw... I'm screwed for I don't own one. Have to take it outside then... 

Yeah, you may have to buy a kit (I think those are T5), I recommend Ifixit

it's time