Best Budget short throw projector?

Olli_

Hi,

Recently I have been very tempted in buying a projector screen. However where I want to have it its quite a small room and I know you have to have projectors quite far away I think for them to work well. Are there any cheap (ish) short throw projectors or any normal ones that you would recommend? I don't really know my budget as I don't know how expensive they can get. Also can I just project it straight onto a wall or do I have to buy a screen?

Many thanks 

1. A screen will greatly improve your experience, better colors, more brightness, and a sharper image. 

2. Many newer projectors don't have to be placed as close to the wall as you might think to get a decent sized image. Try measuring the space as many projectors tall you the distance to screen size somewhere in the description/product features section. 

3. Several projectors for home theaters are around $500-700 and are pretty good. If you have a little bit more to work with, get one with better brightness (measured in lumens) if you are primarily using it in the day; one with better response times if using for gaming; or one with better contrast (look toward laser projectors) if you are primarily using it at night. 

11 minutes ago, cflanders said:

1. A screen will greatly improve your experience, better colors, more brightness, and a sharper image. 

2. Many newer projectors don't have to be placed as close to the wall as you might think to get a decent sized image. Try measuring the space as many projectors tall you the distance to screen size somewhere in the description/product features section. 

3. Several projectors for home theaters are around $500-700 and are pretty good. If you have a little bit more to work with, get one with better brightness (measured in lumens) if you are primarily using it in the day; one with better response times if using for gaming; or one with better contrast (look toward laser projectors) if you are primarily using it at night. 

Many thanks for the reply it will be primarily uses for movies ( maybe occasionally gaming depends) and probably when it's dark the room I'm having it in only has one window so not much light can get in. Are there any models that you could recommend? I don't know exactly the distance but probably 2 metres is the length my room is long but narrow and I have to have it facing the side walls but with check projectors to see the distance. 

Nothing in particular, just don't get what is on the front shelves in stores. 

7 hours ago, braneopbru said:

Optoma makes some nice units. Try GT760, GT1080, GT5500+.

Thanks will have a look at them

12 hours ago, cflanders said:

One more thing, refurbished models are close to new but are (generally) a lot cheaper. 

Would i have to replace the bulb though as it's probably been used a fair amount or not?

Edit: Have just found this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/Epson-EB-S41-SVGA-lumens-Projector-White/dp/B075ZVCXYK/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1524219719&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=projector&th=1 looks quite good have measured the distance of my walls is near abouts 9ft.What do you think?

Depends on if they replace the bulb as part of the refurbishing process or not. You might want to contact the seller and check. Some bulbs might not be too old for issue to start occurring. Most projectors tell you when the bulb is almost dead. When that happens, just order another one for fairly cheap on amazon and =replace it when the first bulb dies. 

3 hours ago, Olli_ said:

Would i have to replace the bulb though as it's probably been used a fair amount or not?

Edit: Have just found this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/Epson-EB-S41-SVGA-lumens-Projector-White/dp/B075ZVCXYK/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1524219719&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=projector&th=1 looks quite good have measured the distance of my walls is near abouts 9ft.What do you think?

That looks TERRIBLE!!! It's SVGA resolution - that means it's 4:3 aspect and 800x600 resolution.

I have the older version of the Optoma GT760. It's projecting a 120" image from 6 feet away. I've had it for 5 years and my bulb life is still at just about 50%. It even does 3D with cheap eBay DLP link glasses. Epson makes some nice projectors too, but keep a close eye on the resolution.

Basically, expect to pay $700-$1000 for a decent projector. The quality takes a nosedive below the $700 mark.