No POST with M.2 installed

aeroencychris
Go to solution Solved by aeroencychris,
7 hours ago, NelizMastr said:

3e1.png

Update: that actually wasn't the issue.

chrome_2018-04-18_11-28-46.png

Turns out my specific motherboard had a bug with my specific SSD and a BIOS update fixed it. What are the odds?

Hi all,

I started a new build yesterday (parts here) and everything seemed to work perfectly when installed in the case. However, when I put the top panel back on and was ready to install Windows it refused to post. The debug LED on the motherboard showed a CPU failure but after a bit of troubleshooting I found that it was actually the M.2 SSD at fault (without it the PC boots into the BIOS just fine). Does this mean it's a faulty SSD? Should I contact Samsung about this? All I did to install it was put it into the M.2 port on the bottom of the board and screw it in (I'm assuming it doesn't need extra power?)

Thanks,

-Chris

I think you meant the m.2 slot on the back of the board and not on the bottom :) 

Anwyay, if you ordered it from Samsung, then yes, contact Samsung. If not, contact the party you bought the SSD from. They are responsible for RMA, not Samsung.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

4 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

I think you meant the m.2 slot on the back of the board and not on the bottom :) 

Anwyay, if you ordered it from Samsung, then yes, contact Samsung. If not, contact the party you bought the SSD from. They are responsible for RMA, not Samsung.

By bottom I meant beneath all of the other components. Perhaps back side of the board was a better wording.

Do you agree that this is an SSD failure? I also just tried booting with a normal 2.5" SSD from another build and it works fine.

7 minutes ago, cdsboy2000 said:

By bottom I meant beneath all of the other components. Perhaps back side of the board was a better wording.

Do you agree that this is an SSD failure? I also just tried booting with a normal 2.5" SSD from another build and it works fine.

Could also be a faulty m.2 slot still, or a wrong operating mode. Try setting the m.2 slot to PCIe or NVMe mode manually in the BIOS and re-insert the SSD. Maybe that'll make it work. NVMe cards have their own BIOS to deal with so it needs to be able to communicate with the system. 

If that fails, then yes, a dead SSD or a dead m.2 slot are the options. A DOA SSD seems a tad more likely.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

18 minutes ago, cdsboy2000 said:

Hi all,

I started a new build yesterday (parts here) and everything seemed to work perfectly when installed in the case. However, when I put the top panel back on and was ready to install Windows it refused to post. The debug LED on the motherboard showed a CPU failure but after a bit of troubleshooting I found that it was actually the M.2 SSD at fault (without it the PC boots into the BIOS just fine). Does this mean it's a faulty SSD? Should I contact Samsung about this? All I did to install it was put it into the M.2 port on the bottom of the board and screw it in (I'm assuming it doesn't need extra power?)

Thanks,

-Chris

Okay, so I had this same problem when I was installing onto my SSD, I had to have the SSD installed when running Windows (on a different drive ofc) and had to go to storage management, and press Initiate Drive, then it turned from unknown to SAMSUNG 960 EVO, so somehow that fixed the problem and I was able to install Windows onto the SSD. Don't know if this will help, just wanted to put this out there.

hi

9 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

Could also be a faulty m.2 slot still, or a wrong operating mode. Try setting the m.2 slot to PCIe or NVMe mode manually in the BIOS and re-insert the SSD. Maybe that'll make it work. NVMe cards have their own BIOS to deal with so it needs to be able to communicate with the system. 

If that fails, then yes, a dead SSD or a dead m.2 slot are the options. A DOA SSD seems a tad more likely.

That actually sounds like a really good idea but I don't see any setting for that in the BIOS.

10 minutes ago, germgoatz said:

Okay, so I had this same problem when I was installing onto my SSD, I had to have the SSD installed when running Windows (on a different drive ofc) and had to go to storage management, and press Initiate Drive, then it turned from unknown to SAMSUNG 960 EVO, so somehow that fixed the problem and I was able to install Windows onto the SSD. Don't know if this will help, just wanted to put this out there.

Unfortunately I don't have any extra builds with an M.2 slot to try that with :/

Edit: with both the broken M.2 SSD and a normal 2.5" SSD installed the system will not boot

3e1.png

7 hours ago, NelizMastr said:

3e1.png

Update: that actually wasn't the issue.

chrome_2018-04-18_11-28-46.png

Turns out my specific motherboard had a bug with my specific SSD and a BIOS update fixed it. What are the odds?