I am currently look at getting an i9 7900X, I like flashy things and the Asus ROG rampage VI is too sexy to pass up, so what would be a good heatsink to get, air cooled or water cooled and which one

I am planning on doing a full water loop so this cooler will just be temporary 

What do you all think and thanks in advance

Screenshot_20180417-233508_Newegg.jpg

How temporary is this going to be?

If you're considering a 7900X and a Rampage VI series board, you're already putting down a huge amount of money for the components, so I'm assuming this temporary cooler will only be there for a short time.

In which case, I suggest the cheapest cooler you can find on Amazon that supports 2066 - just don't overclock until your proper loop is in place.

6 hours ago, Tabs said:

How temporary is this going to be?

If you're considering a 7900X and a Rampage VI series board, you're already putting down a huge amount of money for the components, so I'm assuming this temporary cooler will only be there for a short time.

In which case, I suggest the cheapest cooler you can find on Amazon that supports 2066 - just don't overclock until your proper loop is in place.

Probably a few months and I am not afraid to to spend the money on a good cooler. I want no worries about heat while using the CPU

2 hours ago, Adm_Dolphin said:

Probably a few months and I am not afraid to to spend the money on a good cooler. I want no worries about heat while using the CPU

In that case get a Noctua NH-D15 it is one of the best air coolers out there and

outperforms most aio’s. You’ll definitely be able to overclock comfortably as well.

19 minutes ago, chamath said:

Why do you want a 7900x when 8700k is available??

7900x > 8700k in pretty much every way except low res high FPS gaming.

i9-9900k @ 5.1GHz || EVGA 3080 ti FTW3 EK Cooled || EVGA z390 Dark || G.Skill TridentZ 32gb 4000MHz C16

970 Pro 1tb || 860 Evo 2tb || BeQuiet Dark Base Pro 900 || EVGA P2 1200w || AOC Agon AG352UCG

Cooled by: Heatkiller || Hardware Labs || Bitspower || Noctua || EKWB

22 minutes ago, chamath said:

You're comparing different classes of hardware, subjectivity aside.

The Noctua is a solid suggestion.  I also think the be quiet! dark rock series is pretty solid, although if you want a cooler with the easiest mounting solution, Cryorig has not let me down.

3 hours ago, chamath said:

I started it the the main post, I want the rampage VI, which is not available with the 1151 socket

15 minutes ago, Adm_Dolphin said:

I started it the the main post, I want the rampage VI, which is not available with the 1151 socket

That is a unique reason to choose a CPU.  Save your money and buy a 7820x if you don't need the extra 2 cores or PCI lanes.

i9-9900k @ 5.1GHz || EVGA 3080 ti FTW3 EK Cooled || EVGA z390 Dark || G.Skill TridentZ 32gb 4000MHz C16

970 Pro 1tb || 860 Evo 2tb || BeQuiet Dark Base Pro 900 || EVGA P2 1200w || AOC Agon AG352UCG

Cooled by: Heatkiller || Hardware Labs || Bitspower || Noctua || EKWB

11 hours ago, TahoeDust said:

That is a unique reason to choose a CPU.  Save your money and buy a 7820x if you don't need the extra 2 cores or PCI lanes.

The i9's have a lot better reviews than the i7's which is the other reason I decided on the 7900x