Question - Servers and NAS

Hello LTT forum!

In a few months I'm moving into a new apartment, and I'd like to setup a small home server.

I will mostly save pictures, recorded videos, documents and movies on it, so I'm not looking for anything BIG.

Since I'm a complete novice to this topic, I hope you guys could assist me in getting started.

I'm looking forward to hear from you guys! 

Best wishes!

Just looking to store personal stuff on it? Or are you looking for something extra?

3 minutes ago, LunaP0n3 said:

Just looking to store personal stuff on it? Or are you looking for something extra?

No, just personal stuff.

Just now, Bjernhart said:

No, just personal stuff.

WD has an excellent lineup of ready made NASs. https://www.wdc.com/products/personal-cloud-storage.html

I can personally say the My Cloud line is easy enough to configure. You just plug it in to your router and do a little setup and boom. You can also access the unit from anywhere through the my cloud site. Use them to store all my backed up DVDs and Blu-Rays.

You can go for a dual drive unit if you are looking for redundancy, but my 2 single units are still working fine from 2015. The only caveat with the single units is if the drive inside dies, the unit is tricky to get going again with a new drive.

-Single drive models range in capacity from 2-8TB

-Dual drive models range in capacity from 2-16TB

If you can afford it and if you're not very experienced with computers, a NAS from e.g. Synology or QNAP would be the way to go. You can still run virtual-machines, Plex and stuff like that on them, but they make it all easy to do and offer a nice UI for it all. My recommendation is to go with such a box. On the other hand, if you want to  do it yourself, FreeNAS would be one way, for example.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

49 minutes ago, LunaP0n3 said:

WD has an excellent lineup of ready made NASs. https://www.wdc.com/products/personal-cloud-storage.html

I can personally say the My Cloud line is easy enough to configure. You just plug it in to your router and do a little setup and boom. You can also access the unit from anywhere through the my cloud site. Use them to store all my backed up DVDs and Blu-Rays.

You can go for a dual drive unit if you are looking for redundancy, but my 2 single units are still working fine from 2015. The only caveat with the single units is if the drive inside dies, the unit is tricky to get going again with a new drive.

-Single drive models range in capacity from 2-8TB

-Dual drive models range in capacity from 2-16TB

49 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

If you can afford it and if you're not very experienced with computers, a NAS from e.g. Synology or QNAP would be the way to go. You can still run virtual-machines, Plex and stuff like that on them, but they make it all easy to do and offer a nice UI for it all. My recommendation is to go with such a box. On the other hand, if you want to  do it yourself, FreeNAS would be one way, for example.

Thank you both for the information! WD seem to have what I'm looking for, at decent prices as well.