Buying an AMD GPU just to spite Nvidia?

SSJGodemis

So I have some friends who absolutely hate Nvidia due to their shady business tactics. While I do think Nvidia does engage in shady business tactics (like GPP) they currently do have superior GPUs.   I know Vega 56 rivals the 1070 Ti and the Vega 64 rivals the 1080 but right now the Vega cards run hotter, are less energy efficient and cost almost the cost of a 1080 Ti.  

Does anyone else spend more money to support AMD despite not getting the same level of performance? 

| Ryzen R9 3900x Enermax LIQTECH II 360  | Asus ROG Crosshair VI Hero| Nivida FE RTX 2080 Ti | Corsair Vengeance 16gb @3200MHZ | Crucial 500 GB SSD | 1TB WD Blue SSD| Corsair HX 750w  Platinum+ |Corsair Carbide Spec-Omega| Gigabyte Arous 27QD 1440p 144hz

Honestly, I just buy whatever I like. I take little consideration into what the companies are doing with their money and with their policies, since if I did that I wouldn't be buying computer parts at all.

That being said, overpaying in this market for a Vega card won't benefit AMD much more than if you bought it back at launch for MSRP, since the extra costs on top are likely going to the board partner and the retailer (though mostly the retailer I imagine.)

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

I only care about performance. I dont give a damn what brand it is. Apple is fucking their customers all the time and still get praised as saints.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

3 minutes ago, Praesi said:

I only care about performance. I dont give a damn what brand it is. Apple is fucking their customers all the time and still get praised as saints.

This is how I feel. I figure if AMD was in the lead they would not be so kind to Nvidia or Intel either.

| Ryzen R9 3900x Enermax LIQTECH II 360  | Asus ROG Crosshair VI Hero| Nivida FE RTX 2080 Ti | Corsair Vengeance 16gb @3200MHZ | Crucial 500 GB SSD | 1TB WD Blue SSD| Corsair HX 750w  Platinum+ |Corsair Carbide Spec-Omega| Gigabyte Arous 27QD 1440p 144hz

The issue lies with the fact that both Nvidia and AMD have shady business tactics and which one bothers you more. No matter who you buy from,one of those two companies still benefits.All I would recommend is that as consumers,we purchase from whatever company gives us products better fit our needs/budget.

Same level of performance compared to what? Not everyone is looking to break the bank on a 1080ti, or even a 1080. Personally I wouldn't buy an nvidia card right now because I have a freesync display.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I did. I payed a lot just to keep my system free of green and blue components..... but that's just me.   

8 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Same level of performance compared to what? Not everyone is looking to break the bank on a 1080ti, or even a 1080. Personally I wouldn't buy an nvidia card right now because I have a freesync display.

I mean 

1080 Ti and Vega 64  in reality.  I have some friends get a Vega 64 recently. They did though pick up a Free Sync monitor saving on that. However, the point was not really to save money. They just hate Nvidia as a company and would rather get an AMD GPU that is weaker but costs the same right now. 

I mean the Vega 64 will do everything they want at 1440p. Its just there is better for the same price. 

2 minutes ago, SSJGodemis said:

I mean 

1080 Ti and Vega 64  in reality.  I have some friends get a Vega 64 recently. They did though pick up a Free Sync monitor saving on that. However, the point was not really to save money. They just hate Nvidia as a company and would rather get an AMD GPU that is weaker but costs the same right now. 

I mean the Vega 64 will do everything they want at 1440p. Its just there is better for the same price. 

I can respect wanting to boycott stuff like gpp

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

42 minutes ago, SSJGodemis said:

Does anyone else spend more money to support AMD despite not getting the same level of performance? 

No, in fact I have bought many AMD products precisely to spend less given performance.

That's not the case with current Vega prices (new, the used market is already reverting to pre-mining, at least here, and is fully reverted on anything older than that), unless you are a miner, naturally. Then again, I can't conceive spending north of $500 on a GPU, at least not if its sole purpose is to play games, so to me buying cards in that price range is equally strange regardless the motivation.

Yes. I bought a Vega 64 Liquid Cooled for 750 euros. Just because I don't want nvidia. No thanks. I love AMD's software (ReLive, etc), I prefer to support Radeon even if performance in half gameworks games is trash (hey, 1060 performance in Assassin's creed origins? wah, great), and currently nvidia's business tactics are the shaddiest between AMD and nvidia.

Then again, when I got my rx480, the 480 was cheaper than the 1060, and when i sold it to get my rx580, the rx580 was A LOT cheaper than a 1060 (and i grabbed the limited edition so....)

For CPUs, it doesn't matter anymore. AMD and Intel's offerings are pretty much equivalent performance-wise. Sure, sure, intel is a tiny bit better if you get a good 8700K and overclock the hell out of it, but apart from that? i9 for 2000$ when threadripper gives more for 800$? 

Well in every gaming market segment apart from the 1080ti there is an AMD card which performs just as well. That's why people support AMD, if they didn't have the capable products they no amount of Nvidia hatred would sway people.

There are other reasons people buy AMD too, e.g. their driver support is very good, they have better out of the box Linux support, Good past experiences with them etc.

E.g. my Sapphire r9 290 vapor x which when it came out used to compete with the gtx 780. Over the years it has served me so well and to this day it really rocks and keeps getting better with new features like the recent stuff in adrenalin drivers or the newest optimizations for 2018 games or newer API support. So when the time comes to replace it although I will consider the competition obviously my good experiences with AMD play a big role in my buying decision, cause they have taken care of me as a customer. It's not always about spiting Nvidia...