8700k Oddly High Voltage

thejstone2002

My 8700k's VID according to HW Info and Aida64 is 1.27 volts stock. I set it to 5 ghz without adjusting voltage and it went up to 1.5 volts before I shut it off. Is something wrong with the chip, or did I just loose the silicon lottery?

3 minutes ago, thejstone2002 said:

My 8700k's VID according to HW Info and Aida64 is 1.27 volts stock. I set it to 5 ghz without adjusting voltage and it went up to 1.5 volts before I shut it off. Is something wrong with the chip, or did I just loose the silicon lottery?

If you leave the Vcore to auto then it will add volts with each multiplier jump.
You  should never use Auto when overclocking anything.

It's not a race to the bottom.

36 minutes ago, thejstone2002 said:

Can't be lottery thing, as you said it is odd, try custom overclocking and set everything manually, with kraken x62 you won't face any issues with thermal level.

Never use Auto voltage when overclocking, set it to Manual and try something like 1.35V. Do not go over 1.4V as it may shorten the life of your CPU, especially if you don't have adequate cooling. 5GHz is quite a high overclock.

Workstation:

Intel Core i7 6700K | AMD Radeon R9 390X | 16 GB RAM

Mobile Workstation:

MacBook Pro 15" (2017) | Intel Core i7 7820HQ | AMD Radeon Pro 560 | 16 GB RAM