R9 290 annoyingly loud?

theking

Hi guys :P

I live in Sweden and i want a 290, the prices here are still the same, no price increase due to mining... I am worried that the price will go up when the aftermarket cards get released. Should i get one right now? The only thing that is holding me off is the sound, i have a R4, will i notice the card?

Intel Core i5 4670K | Sapphire R9 290 | Define R4 | Gigabyte Z87X-D3H | 8Gb Ballistix | Corsair RM650 | 120GB Samsung 840 EVO | Seagate Barracuda 1TB |

Would love to be the owner of the: nAMDvidia Titation 3000 ultra-xt Platinum Edition :D

Did you ever hear a 480GTX?... well they are louder than the 290/x. personally i dont find them bothersome at all as i use headsets when gaming :P

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Did you ever hear a 480GTX?... well they are louder than the 290/x. personally i dont find them bothersome at all as i use headsets when gaming :P

Haha, how is the loudness at idle, i don't use headphones when gaming but i will certainly not hear the sound of the PC

Intel Core i5 4670K | Sapphire R9 290 | Define R4 | Gigabyte Z87X-D3H | 8Gb Ballistix | Corsair RM650 | 120GB Samsung 840 EVO | Seagate Barracuda 1TB |

Would love to be the owner of the: nAMDvidia Titation 3000 ultra-xt Platinum Edition :D

No, the cost might go up but it will be worth it for the cool and quiet r9 290.

I know, but the price right now is kinda at the top of my budget

Haha, how is the loudness at idle, i don't use headphones when gaming but i will certainly not hear the sound of the PC

they are silent at idle. if its not quiet enough for you pop a custom fan map onto them to keep them a tad warmer and quieter on desktop.

MSI Afterburner

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

I know, but the price right now is kinda at the top of my budget

It;s up to you but I would pay more for the quietness. The stock 290 is also very bad at cooling. It is basically thermal throttling at stock.

It's loud and irritating at first, but you very quickly get used to it (At 100% load) Under idle it is absolutely silent. 

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k @ 4.7 1.3v  with a Corsair H80 w/Dual SP120s - Motherboard: MSI Z97 gaming 5 - RAM: 4x4 G.Skill Ripjaws X @ 1600 - GPU: Dual PowerColour R9 290- SSD: Samsung NVME SM951 256GB-- PSU: Corsair RM 1000  - Case: NZXT H440 Black/red - Keyboard: Coolermaster CM storm Quickfire TK, Cherry MX blues - Mouse: Logitech G502 - Heaphones: Beyerdynamic DT 770 - Monitors: 3x VE248H Eyefinity 1080P -  Phone: iPhone 6S Plus               Please post your specifications in your post, signature or even better, system page on your profile!

My craptop's louder than my desktop at full load,and it(the craptop) has integrated graphics.What can I say...

Not to mention it can reach 90 celsius.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Avoid mining on a reference cooler if you can. Trust me, I do and its loud, hot and horrible.

“Snorting instant coffee is the best,” said Kayla Johns, 19, of Portland.

theking, on 22 Dec 2013 - 12:36 AM, said:

Hi guys :P

I live in Sweden and i want a 290, the prices here are still the same, no price increase due to mining... I am worried that the price will go up when the aftermarket cards get released. Should i get one right now? The only thing that is holding me off is the sound, i have a R4, will i notice the card?

skulle rekommendera denna: http://feber.se/pc/art/288905/gigabyte_visar_egen_radeon_r9_/ annars vänta tills det kommer en bättre kylare

Avoid mining on a reference cooler if you can. Trust me, I do and its loud, hot and horrible.

I say get it, it's not that loud...

It's loud and irritating at first, but you very quickly get used to it (At 100% load) Under idle it is absolutely silent. 

I am pretty sure that i am buying it. I will not overclock, so i think that it will be fine for me...

id say the 290 is louder than a 480gtx personally i have both and my 290 was louder at 100% than the 480 is @ 100%.

@ 50% the 290/x is reasonable though but i am glad i waterblocked it. 

Asrock X670E Steel Legend - AMD 7600X(5.5Ghz) -  XFX Speedster-Zero EKWB Edition 6900XTXH 

-32GB Kingston Fury Beast 6000mhz DDR5 - WB Black 1 & 2 TB NVME -EVGA 1300W G2

Full loop 2x480mm XSPC RX Rads / Thermaltake Pacific W8 Block

skulle rekommendera denna: http://feber.se/pc/art/288905/gigabyte_visar_egen_radeon_r9_/ annars vänta tills det kommer en bättre kylare

Ganska säker på att Gigabytes version kommer att bli dyrare, tack ändå!

id say the 290 is louder than a 480gtx personally i have both and my 290 was louder at 100% than the 480 is @ 100%.

@ 50% the 290/x is reasonable though but i am glad i waterblocked it. 

Was it annoying when gaming? 

I am pretty sure that i am buying it. I will not overclock, so i think that it will be fine for me...

Okay man just sayin. On the reference cooler under 97% load I won't get below 90 degrees C unless I put the fan speed to %100 at which point it sounds like a hair dryer. Could turn it down to about %80 and it wont be so loud but the card will near 100 degrees.

Okay man just sayin. On the reference cooler under 97% load you won't get below 90 degrees C unless you put the fan speed to %100 at which point it sounds like a hair dryer. You can turn it down to about %80 and it wont be so loud but your card will near 100 degrees.

Thats utter crap im sorry...... I run two 290x's ref and when I run anything I throw at it with my MSI profile my fan speed maxes out at 70% for 70c temps.

Okay man just sayin. On the reference cooler under 97% load you won't get below 90 degrees C unless you put the fan speed to %100 at which point it sounds like a hair dryer. You can turn it down to about %80 and it wont be so loud but your card will near 100 degrees.

I know, might wait, the quietness of aftermarket cards would be worth it, thanks for your help :)

Thats utter crap im sorry...... I run two 290x's ref and when I run anything I throw at it with my MSI profile my fan speed maxes out at 70% for 70c temps.

Utter crap ? Your cards may be cooler but that doesn't make me a liar. I'm just giving input about my experiences with my cards.

Let me just say the LTC rig I built over the weekend is in the same room as me, its got 2 290's in it and they're both running at about 90%.

I can literally hear it from anywhere in my entire house.

But hey, I doubt you'll ever need to get to 100% on the fan when you're gaming, they are truly awesome cards- noise, heat and all.

If its really a big concern, get the Asus DCUII, its coming out soon.... Bitch.

I'm the one who overclocks.

CPU: i5 2500k w/CM Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO OC'd@4.2GHz RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB  MOBO: Intel Burrage DP67BG GPU: MSI GTX770 Twin Frozr 2GB HDD: 2x Seagate 2TB Barracuda PSU: Gigabyte ODIN 550W

Have you tried mining on them fella? its a completely different story

I can totally vouch for what @heinygoat has said

I'm the one who overclocks.

CPU: i5 2500k w/CM Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO OC'd@4.2GHz RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB  MOBO: Intel Burrage DP67BG GPU: MSI GTX770 Twin Frozr 2GB HDD: 2x Seagate 2TB Barracuda PSU: Gigabyte ODIN 550W

R9 290 isn't that loud when gaming, haven't noticed an audible difference between the last card.

Have you tried mining on them fella? its a completely different story

I can totally vouch for what @heinygoat has said

R9 290 isn't that loud when gaming, haven't noticed an audible difference between the last card.

Utter crap ? Your cards may be cooler but that doesn't make me a liar. I'm just giving input about my experiences with my cards.

Thanks, do anyone of you know if the non-reference coolers will come out in the next week or so, if not. I may go with the reference cooler