Asus p8b75-v motherboard with only one ram slot working.

Having trouble using the other ram slots in my Asus motherboard. I am able to only use first slot of ram. I have 16 gbs of ddr3 ram and both sticks work as the unit boots with both fine. However no other slot will have the unit post and it won't post with two slots with ram seated. 

My specs are as follows:

I7 3770, 

Hyper 212 evo, 

Asus p8b75-v motherboard, 

Asus Nvidia gtx 970

MI64C1D1629Z1 ADATA 8GB PC3-12800 * 2 at 1600 mhz

Cooler master 650 watt PSU

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I don't want to have to return this board. 

lets see: RAM Slots are usually numbered by manufacturer as they are intended to use in a particular configuration.

The order of install is not universal, depends on manufacturer. So your rig, may post with RAM slots in A1-B1 but not with A2-B2. (considering you have only 2 sticks in use on a 4 slot motherboard and you just move them around). Other combinations may encounter the same problems, like A1-B2, A2-B1.

Read your motherboard manual and check the order of installation. The best way to test this out, is to occupy every slot with working RAM KITS. Take note i said KITs. Some ram wont work in dual channel configurations in some motherboards no matter what you do if they are not meant to. Also check if said RAM is on your Manual QVL. If its not there, that alone could be enough for it to not work under non recomended install order.

Overclocking may also affect your RAM stability. Make sure the RAM is either on XMP profile or in JDEC configurations untouched. Dont mess with timings even if the Kit is rated for such timings/speeds, leave everything on AUTO and test again. Same goes for your CPU.

Try one module at a time, then two, then four. If the Slots are not working, they should behave the same under every possible configuration you could think off. BUT, its important we discard, QVL, recommended install order and Default auto speeds on everything to rule out false positives.

Last thing you could try, is launching CPU-Z and checking manually if slots report something installed on them even if they are not present in BIOS. Some BIOS may not show a whole bank of RAM if only one of the modules is not installed properly. But CPU-Z will read raw data coming from ports, so you may see a module reporting speeds, brand and model to CPU-Z and BIOS not even showing anything.

Happened to me before, so i suggest you give it a try. In my case, helped me diagnose a bad seating, something i disregarded since visual check seemed fine.

Its a long shot, but it could be anything at this point, not only a non working slot.

TL;DR: Reset everything to factory defaults and try installing working RAM KITs. Occupy every RAM Slot in your motherboard at the same time.

cheers!.

2 hours ago, faziten said:

lets see: RAM Slots are usually numbered by manufacturer as they are intended to use in a particular configuration.

The order of install is not universal, depends on manufacturer. So your rig, may post with RAM slots in A1-B1 but not with A2-B2. (considering you have only 2 sticks in use on a 4 slot motherboard and you just move them around). Other combinations may encounter the same problems, like A1-B2, A2-B1.

Read your motherboard manual and check the order of installation. The best way to test this out, is to occupy every slot with working RAM KITS. Take note i said KITs. Some ram wont work in dual channel configurations in some motherboards no matter what you do if they are not meant to. Also check if said RAM is on your Manual QVL. If its not there, that alone could be enough for it to not work under non recomended install order.

Overclocking may also affect your RAM stability. Make sure the RAM is either on XMP profile or in JDEC configurations untouched. Dont mess with timings even if the Kit is rated for such timings/speeds, leave everything on AUTO and test again. Same goes for your CPU.

Try one module at a time, then two, then four. If the Slots are not working, they should behave the same under every possible configuration you could think off. BUT, its important we discard, QVL, recommended install order and Default auto speeds on everything to rule out false positives.

Last thing you could try, is launching CPU-Z and checking manually if slots report something installed on them even if they are not present in BIOS. Some BIOS may not show a whole bank of RAM if only one of the modules is not installed properly. But CPU-Z will read raw data coming from ports, so you may see a module reporting speeds, brand and model to CPU-Z and BIOS not even showing anything.

Happened to me before, so i suggest you give it a try. In my case, helped me diagnose a bad seating, something i disregarded since visual check seemed fine.

Its a long shot, but it could be anything at this point, not only a non working slot.

TL;DR: Reset everything to factory defaults and try installing working RAM KITs. Occupy every RAM Slot in your motherboard at the same time.

cheers!.

The problem is the unit won't even display if I put a ram stick in any of the other slots. The machine boots but doesn't display. The only way it displays is with a stick in the first slot. 

I've been browsing around on the internet and it seems like it could be the cpu affecting the memory controller. I just didn't think third generation processors had memory controllers built into the dye of CPU. Another thing people were saying is it could be dust of some sort in the cpu socket in the actual motherboard

My ram doesn't support xmp profiles. I've uploaded pictures of what I get. 

20180411_005950_HDR.jpg

20180411_010247_HDR.jpg

20180411_010324_HDR.jpg

20180411_012242_HDR.jpg

You are not supposed to install like this image.png.056ce89f7e8a19f5e7a2d8b9a00d9d47.png

this is the manual recommended config:

image.png.2ae695732fca6a3af40272c1550a3322.pngimage.png.2ae695732fca6a3af40272c1550a3322.png

15 minutes ago, faziten said:

You are not supposed to install like this 

this is the manual recommended config:

It won't post though on A2. Only on A1

3 minutes ago, nickthibs said:

It won't post though on A2. Only on A1

The RAM you are using is not in QVL. So it is a long shot to begin with.

We cant know how compatible those moudles are, to accept the problem is physical and comes from the motherboard.

Did you try the A2 slot and push the "memOk" button on your motherboard?

24 minutes ago, faziten said:

The RAM you are using is not in QVL. So it is a long shot to begin with.

We cant know how compatible those moudles are, to accept the problem is physical and comes from the motherboard.

Did you try the A2 slot and push the "memOk" button on your motherboard?

Could it be processor related? Yes I have tried putting into A2 and hitting the memok button. I guess I'll have to get Qvl ram in order to test the motherboard. 

3 minutes ago, nickthibs said:

Could it be processor related? Yes I have tried putting into A2 and hitting the memok button. I guess I'll have to get Qvl ram in order to test the motherboard. 

yep. You could try to pre configure your ram to work at the minimum speed available (1066) and see if that helps. But your best bet would be try with QVL RAM.