i5 4670K

Hello guys, I am new to this forum! I've been watching Linus' videos for a long time now and I decided to make an account to his website. I'm posting because I think something is wrong with my cpu. I just upgraded from an AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE to Intel i5 4670K and Asus z87 Maximus VI Hero motherboard. I have my Cooler Master V8 cooler from my AMD and it fits on 1150 socket. I tried overclock the my CPU to 4.4GHz @ 1.225V and its very stable and the temps never pass 65 degrees under full load. My problem is that when I open CPU-Z it shows only 800MHz and only jumps to 4.4GHz when I stress it and also when I had the AMD, I overclock it to 3.7GHz and in windows, in PC info (right click "computer" -> "properties") it was shows that my cpu was 3.4GHz and next showed 3.7GHz. That meant that my cpu stock speed was 3.4GHz and now it is 3.7GHz. Now with the i5 it shows 3.4GHz and next to it, it shows 3.4GHz again.. wasn't that supposed to be 4.4GHz?? Please guys help me. Thanks in advance! :)

Sorry, I can't help you but...

Welcome to the LTT Forums!

| Case: NZXT Tempest 210 | CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K @ 3.9 Ghz | GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1070 | RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 8GB |

| Mouse: Zowie FK1 | Monitor: Acer 21.5' | Keyboard: CoolerMaster Stealth w/ Brown Switches |

#KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #1080penis

Try posting a screenshot, I am not sure what you mean.

The lower clockspeed is because your cpu is idling and can save power in that way.

System:
4670k@4,7Ghz <fully stable ( and 5Ghz, incredible unstable)| Asus Maximus VI Hero | G.Skill TridentX 16GB 2400Mhz C10 | AMD XFX R9 290 OC'ed (locked, Elpida) Cooled by a Kraken G10&X40 w/ NF-A14 | NZXT Phantom 530 | 2TB Seagate Barracuda | Samsung EVO 250GB | Cooler Master V850 | QNIX QX2710 @110Hz | Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2 | Ducky Shine 3 ^^ | Madcatz R.A.T. 5 | Brainwavz Delta's |

It's called SpeedStep. AMD has a similar thing called Cool'n'Quiet ( think that's the equivalent) it down clocks the cpu when you're not doing anything that needs the power. Fairly sure you can disable it if you want but it's not a big deal.

Try posting a screenshot, I am not sure what you mean.

The lower clockspeed is because your cpu is idling and can save power in that way.

uuumm.. I dont know to post an image.. right click on "computer" icon and then properties. It will show the pc info like the windows version, cpu, ram. Where it says "processor" it shows the model of the processor and the clock speed

Try stressing your cpu and check the frequency then. CPUs usually lower their clock to save power when idling.

Try stressing your cpu and check the frequency then. CPUs usually lower their clock to save power when idling.

I did that and the cpu jumps at 4.4GHz. But how do I know if it runs at 4.4GHz during games?

The properties windows will only how the base clock of the CPU, when you overclock the CPU you are overclocking the turbo frequency. Use CPU-Z to monitor the CPU frequency.

i7-3960X@4.4 GHz, H100i (W/ AP-15 Fans), R9 290X , 32GB DDR3 1866 MHz, Asus RIVE, CM HAF X

The properties windows will only how the base clock of the CPU, when you overclock the CPU you are overclocking the turbo frequency. Use CPU-Z to monitor the CPU frequency.

So if my cpu clock speed goes up to 4.4GHz during AIDA64 test, that means that is successfully overclocked at 4.4GHz? Sorry for all the dumb questions.. I am new to overclocking 

I did that and the cpu jumps at 4.4GHz. But how do I know if it runs at 4.4GHz during games?

It will. The clock just goes down when you don't need the extra power. You can always have the game in windowed mode and have cpuZ opened, if you want to be sure.

It will be at 4.4ghz in games. If you had an I7 core parking or idle cores might be an issue on Win 7, cus MS wants us to buy Win 8.

A core unparking utility or a reg edit fixes that though and lets you skip their POS win 8 OS.

Highly doubt you are getting parked cores on a i5 though. If you are? You can fix that.

Unparked cores on my 4770k at 4.5ghz and my chip still hits .016 V while looking at the internet. I see zero difference in power usage and voltage, and a huge increase in speed with 3 cores not parked all the time.

You don't want to mess with the actual voltage decrease though. Haswell is suppose do this and it is just going to make your chip last forever as long as your load temps and load voltage is ok.

Don't worry about it at all my friend. If you are in BF4 and you press ctrl al del and go to task manager resource monitor and CPU and you see parked cores? That is a problem and will hinder games BIG TIME. Planetside 2 and Bf4 do this. Stress testing/benchmarking doesn't. Win 8.1 seems to have removed core parking all together, which is why people with laptops are crying about battery life.

MS shenanigans at their best. Buy our new OS it is better in BF4! (LOL).

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.

It will. The clock just goes down when you don't need the extra power. You can always have the game in windowed mode and have cpuZ opened, if you want to be sure.

Thanks for the help! :) 

It will be at 4.4ghz in games. If you had an I7 core parking or idle cores might be an issue on Win 7, cus MS wants us to buy Win 8.

A core unparking utility or a reg edit fixes that though and lets you skip their POS win 8 OS.

Highly doubt you are getting parked cores on a i5 though. If you are? You can fix that.

Unparked cores on my 4770k at 4.5ghz and my chip still hits .016 V while looking at the internet. I see zero difference in power usage and voltage, and a huge increase in speed with 3 cores not parked all the time.

You don't want to mess with the actual voltage decrease though. Haswell is suppose do this and it is just going to make your chip last forever as long as your load temps and load voltage is ok.

Don't worry about it at all my friend. If you are in BF4 and you press ctrl al del and go to task manager resource monitor and CPU and you see parked cores? That is a problem and will hinder games BIG TIME. Planetside 2 and Bf4 do this. Stress testing/benchmarking doesn't. Win 8.1 seems to have removed core parking all together, which is why people with laptops are crying about battery life.

MS shenanigans at their best. Buy our new OS it is better in BF4! (LOL).

Heh you are right! They try to convince people to buy windows 8.1! :P  Anyway thanks for all the info! 

Do you think that I can overclock more? I am now at 4.4ghz, 1.225v and the temps are around 65 under full load. And if i can overclock more, how can I do it without damaging the cpu? 

Do you think that I can overclock more? I am now at 4.4ghz, 1.225v and the temps are around 65 under full load. And if i can overclock more, how can I do it without damaging the cpu? 

Voltage is fine. 1.25 is considered very safe. 1.3 is considered moderately safe. 1.9 on vccin is considered pretty safe. 

Temps are what matters. If you are on a Evo 212 like me? I won't pass 1.25 and I don't even run at my max overclock. 4.5 and cooler temps > another 100 mhz and 10 more degrees Celsius.

If you are on dual rad water? 1.3 and your temps will prob be good. Noctua dh-14 or a dual tower? Prob can go between 1.25 and 1.3. I5 also runs 10 degrees cooler then my I7 (hyperthreading) so you might be able to push a little more past 1.25 or to 1.25 with ok temps.

Add to that mess? Some batches of Haswell run hotter then others. There is drastic swings in temps and voltages. I say aim for around 72 degrees max on renders (use asus real bench and run a h.264) and look at temps with hw monitor or realtemp. On Aida? You will be from 75-80. Render temps are the most you will see in real use. Keep that as close to 70 as you can and games will run at 50-60. Stressful games and a stream should be around the same as a render. 

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.

Voltage is fine. 1.25 is considered very safe. 1.3 is considered moderately safe. 1.9 on vccin is considered pretty safe. 

Temps are what matters. If you are on a Evo 212 like me? I won't pass 1.25 and I don't even run at my max overclock. 4.5 and cooler temps > another 100 mhz and 10 more degrees Celsius.

If you are on dual rad water? 1.3 and your temps will prob be good. Noctua dh-14 or a dual tower? Prob can go between 1.25 and 1.3. I5 also runs 10 degrees cooler then my I7 (hyperthreading) so you might be able to push a little more past 1.25 or to 1.25 with ok temps.

Add to that mess? Some batches of Haswell run hotter then others. There is drastic swings in temps and voltages. I say aim for around 72 degrees max on renders (use asus real bench and run a h.264) and look at temps with hw monitor or realtemp. On Aida? You will be from 75-80. Render temps are the most you will see in real use. Keep that as close to 70 as you can and games will run at 50-60. Stressful games and a stream should be around the same as a render. 

Thank you very much my friend! I will kept notes! :)

uuumm.. I dont know to post an image.. right click on "computer" icon and then properties. It will show the pc info like the windows version, cpu, ram. Where it says "processor" it shows the model of the processor and the clock speed

That's just the spec.

So if my cpu clock speed goes up to 4.4GHz during AIDA64 test, that means that is successfully overclocked at 4.4GHz? Sorry for all the dumb questions.. I am new to overclocking 

Yeah, it means it's fine.

You can push it as high as you'd like as long as your temps are comfortable and you keep below 1.35-1.4v. you can go higher but it's a bit of a gamble when you past 1.4v

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.