not sure if my gpu died

Draco912

well i will start from the beginning last friday i started to play a game and my pc just randomly shut off on its own and when it restarted my gpu fans were spinning at what i assume is 100% but i wasnt getting signal to my monitor. i tried all the other pcie slots same thing only way to get video is to use my MB hdmi port so i did that while my gigabyte gtx 770 was still plugged in fans spinning like a jet engine but i checked the bios and in windows and my gpu isnt showing. i cant test on another pc because this is the only one in the house that has any pcie slots. my dads pc is dell junk with a laptop power brick. should i take it apart and try to bake it or try to send it to gigabyte for repair not sure how much it would cost me tho since its out of warranty.

my pc parts are listed here https://pcpartpicker.com/list/mJ2tgw 

RMA the card.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

12 minutes ago, Carbide X said:

id say delete the drivers and reinstall them (to begin with )

http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

could bad drivers really cause my gpu fans to spin at like jet engine speeds and not even get a signal to my monitor? i guess i will try that and see if it helps

3 minutes ago, Draco912 said:

could bad drivers really cause my gpu fans to spin at like jet engine speeds and not even get a signal to my monitor? i guess i will try that and see if it helps

Perhaps, but not in BIOS. System drivers aren't loaded at that point, and as you've stated, the GPU does not show up as a connected device. Therefore, it is safe to assume that it has suffered a catastrophic failure.

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

29 minutes ago, knightslugger said:

Perhaps, but not in BIOS. System drivers aren't loaded at that point, and as you've stated, the GPU does not show up as a connected device. Therefore, it is safe to assume that it has suffered a catastrophic failure.

i did the ddu thing plugged in my gpu, fans still spin super fast as soon as the pc starts and only way im able to get signal is if i plug into my mb hdmi. guess she is dead which sucks given how the gpu market is and with the new nvidia gpus coming in a few months (or so i have been told). guess im just going to have to be depressed for a long time since gaming kept my mind off how bad my health issues are right now :(

18 minutes ago, Draco912 said:

i did the ddu thing plugged in my gpu, fans still spin super fast as soon as the pc starts and only way im able to get signal is if i plug into my mb hdmi. guess she is dead which sucks given how the gpu market is and with the new nvidia gpus coming in a few months (or so i have been told). guess im just going to have to be depressed for a long time since gaming kept my mind off how bad my health issues are right now :(

I suggest you contact the manufacturer for RMA if you are still within warranty.

System specs:

6 minutes ago, knightslugger said:

I suggest you contact the manufacturer for RMA if you are still within warranty.

sadly the warranty is expired so i dont know what else to do besided trying to bake it or pay gigabyte money to try and fix it even tho i have no idea how much that would cost.

2 minutes ago, Draco912 said:

sadly the warranty is expired so i dont know what else to do besided trying to bake it or pay gigabyte money to try and fix it even tho i have no idea how much that would cost.

Wait a minute, the GTX1070 hasn't been out for 3 years...? how could you be out of warranty?

System specs:

1 minute ago, knightslugger said:

Wait a minute, the GTX1070 hasn't been out for 3 years...? how could you be out of warranty?

He has 770.

Ex-EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V – sold

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7 – sold

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz – sold

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition – it's somewhere

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse – ded

Intel SSD 660p 1TB – sold

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w – sold

Just now, Quadriplegic said:

He has 770.

oh i thought it was a 1070, super my bad.

System specs:

do you guys suggest i pay however much for gigabyte to repair if i send it to them since its out of warranty or just buy some thermal paste and bake the card and see if that works?

Just now, Draco912 said:

do you guys suggest i pay however much for gigabyte to repair if i send it to them since its out of warranty or just buy some thermal paste and bake the card and see if that works?

if you're willing to completely and totally ruin a perfectly good oven, sure. 

System specs:

1 hour ago, knightslugger said:

if you're willing to completely and totally ruin a perfectly good oven, sure. 

well dang i guess im completely screwed and wont be able to game for a long time >.< no way im buying a used gpu i dont want to get screwed over and get a card used for mining to only have the same issues again. well thanks for the help everyone time for me to just be super depressed for a few months. :(

54 minutes ago, Draco912 said:

well dang i guess im completely screwed and wont be able to game for a long time >.< no way im buying a used gpu i dont want to get screwed over and get a card used for mining to only have the same issues again. well thanks for the help everyone time for me to just be super depressed for a few months. :(

getting a pascal card that was used for mining isn't bad. i'm not sure how that prejudice continues... GPUs used for gaming heat cycle (cold>hot>cold>hot etc) a LOT more than a mining card does (pretty much constant temperature at all times). and it's not like continual use degrades them. when their number is up, they just straight up stop working, like yours did.

System specs:

38 minutes ago, knightslugger said:

getting a pascal card that was used for mining isn't bad. i'm not sure how that prejudice continues... GPUs used for gaming heat cycle (cold>hot>cold>hot etc) a LOT more than a mining card does (pretty much constant temperature at all times). and it's not like continual use degrades them. when their number is up, they just straight up stop working, like yours did.

thats if the person who mined with it under clocked it and such, some people who just buy a few cards to mine might not do that i just dont want to take the risk in losing money if i get screwed over. but i understand were you are coming from sorry if i sounded prejudiced i just didnt want to risk being bent over backwards and having my fathers money taken and being back at square one.

I get how you feel about a used card, Pascal GPU's are fine just try to get one with some kind of buyer protection or make sure it still has a warranty. Though I couldn't recommend baking a card, even if baking did repair it the heat can damage other parts of the GPU and is usually only a temporary fix as the contacts under the chip can fail again. I'm not sure about sending in your gpu to Gigabyte, it would probably better to find another card.

1 hour ago, Draco912 said:

thats if the person who mined with it under clocked it and such, some people who just buy a few cards to mine might not do that i just dont want to take the risk in losing money if i get screwed over. but i understand were you are coming from sorry if i sounded prejudiced i just didnt want to risk being bent over backwards and having my fathers money taken and being back at square one.

Then i would be looking at cards from manufacturers that have 3 year transferable warranty.

System specs:

3 hours ago, knightslugger said:

Then i would be looking at cards from manufacturers that have 3 year transferable warranty.

didnt know that was a thing lol guess i will need to do some searching on that. might have a spare counter top oven that we dont use for cooking somewhere so if baking it doesnt work i can look on ebay or something. again thanks everyone for the replies i truly appreciate it.