Data recovery!

Hey guys! 1. I'm new here ? 2. So recently I was recording a review of the 2007 released Dell Vostro 220s (I know it's random af, don't ask), and I accidentally DELETED all my footage! 

I wanted to know if there was a way or a recomended software to use to retrieve it? Many of the ones I use have a FREE data limit to about 500Gb, and I deleted about 5GB worth of footage... 

I've tried the software 'Recuva', but that claimed my videos were 'UNRECOVERABLE'.. for some reason? The footage I was using, was recorded by a DSLR camera onto an SD card. I then transferred that data to my 32GB USB drive via my laptop when it was deleted.... HELP?! ?

Welcome to the forums!

If you're using the computer right now, shut it down. Your best bet is to use another computer to create bootable media for Ubuntu Desktop on a larger flash drive. If you continue to use the computer you run the risk of Windows writing over the deleted file. Learn how to do this at https://tutorials.ubuntu.com/tutorial/tutorial-create-a-usb-stick-on-windows.

Afterward, follow the appropriate recovery steps shown in the link below.

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/13706/recover-deleted-files-on-an-ntfs-hard-drive-from-a-ubuntu-live-cd/

Make sure to quote me or use @PorkishPig to notify me that you replied!

Desktop

CPU - Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler - Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard - ASUS TUF X570-PLUS RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 32GB Case - Meshify C

GPU - RTX 3080 FE PSU - Straight Power 11 850W Platinum Storage - 980 PRO 1TB, 960 EVO 500GB, S31 1TB, MX500 500GB | OS - Windows 11 Pro

Homelab

CPU - Core i5-11400 | Cooler - Noctua NH-U12S | Motherboard - ASRock Z590M-ITX RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 32GB (2x16)  | Case - Node 304

PSU - EVGA B3 650W | Storage - 860 EVO 256GB, Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB, WD Red 4TB (x6 in RAIDZ1 w/ LSI 9207-8i) | OS - TrueNAS Scale (Debian)

You need to run the recovery on the SD card, as your flash drive and disk have already overwritten the sectors where the video was stored. If recuva says unrecoverable, that means the sectors were overwritten so the video is gone. 

Pro tip: COPY the video file to the destination volume, don't MOVE or CUT/PASTE.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro