1155 to socket 2011

I currently have a 2700k on a asus Z68 deluxe board with 16g of Kingston hyper X ram. A friend of mine wants to buy my board cpu and ram setup for a drafting pc. For what he's willing to pay I can get a 3820 LGA 2011 Asus X79 deluxe board and some corsair dominator platinum ram and only $140 out of my own pocket. The only reason my friend really wants my set up is i got an amazing overclock on my current system 5Ghz no prob. Would it be worth selling and get the 3820 and use it till i can afford the new ive bridge that will be coming out or just stick with my current setup and just build my friend a new machine? I use my pc for gaming and have 2 MSI GTX 580 lightnings , 256GB ocz vector drive , 1000 power supply and H100 cooler. The only reason i'm considering this is it sounds so much cooler saying you have a socket 2011 chip then a 2700k and hoping new chips for 2011.

I lol'd at your reasoning.

Anywho, there has still been no official release from Intel regarding confirmation of Ivy Bridge E. Furthermore there are even rumors floating around that it will be skipped and we'll go straight into Haswell E which will require a new motherboard in any case.

If it were me, I would stick with your current setup. I very much doubt you'll see any real world performance increase if you upgraded.

I agree with windspeed. It's really a budget vs logic debate. If it's not going to put a dent in your wallet, then I guess it could be good for bragging rights, though some people will call you silly for running an overkill system. Games do not utilize the 6 cores that 2011 CPUs bring, nor do they use the 64GB of memory that X79 motherboards are capable of. Most of the power you'd be paying for would go to waste.

If you want to go LGA2011, get a 3930K at the very least.....the i7 3820 is still a quad, might as well stick with your present quad if it OCs that well. I've heard that a BIOS flash for most presnt X79 is all you'd need to run IB-E which would still be LGA2011. Given OP's present setup and OC, he should just dump this LGA2011 idea....unless he is willing to pony up for the 3930K.

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

I think going from a 2700K to a 3820 is kind of silly. The single threaded performance between the 2700 and the 3820 is the same. So you won't notice an improvement anywhere. Plus you won't have HT. Call it a downgrade.

You may want to get the LGA2011 with A 3930K as the next gen consoles are going to have 8 cores so up coming games may start support more than just quad cores; if you want to make your build future proof you may want a 3930K, which will come out cheaper overall... that's you can afford it of course.

I've heard that 4th gen Intel processors are coming out at June (http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Intel-Haswell-Ivy-Bridge-E-CPU,20590.html), but there is nothing about 4930K.

the 3820 does have hyper-threading, so the performance would be about the same, so if a 3820 is your upgrade, and you are getting a 5GHz overclock on your current CPU. I would say keep your 2700k.

One thing to keep in mind about 2011 is it has an unlocked BCLK so you can OC a 3820 to roughly 4.7ghz just by putting your BCLK up to 125 and that's on all cores constantly, its an actual base clock OC which i think is heaps better than the new way of doing it with the multiplier... I'm old school i guess :P I would do it if i were you, we know 1155 socket is nearly dead whereas 2011 might not be yet.

SO I WENT FOR IT . I did go for the 39300k instead of the 3820. I'll post some be for and after pics. Thanks for ever ones comments. To be honest I'm one of those people that cant stop building and cant stop tinkering with my pc. so it was probably going to happen no matter what.

SO I WENT FOR IT . I did go for the 39300k instead of the 3820. I'll post some be for and after pics. Thanks for ever ones comments. To be honest I'm one of those people that cant stop building and cant stop tinkering with my pc. so it was probably going to happen no matter what.
Great choice IMO :) enjoy!