Cant Connect (Local Plex)

I have a Plex server (up to date version) and I can watch files on the computer but I cant get it to connect to any devices in my house (IOS, Apple TV, Xbox, etc.). I turned off the VPN i use to see if that would help, but nothing.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Are you signed in on both the server and the app you're trying to access it from?

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

9 hours ago, tikker said:

Are you signed in on both the server and the app you're trying to access it from?

Sure am.

33 minutes ago, lieder1987 said:

Sure am.

Might be something with the secure connection settings on the server, try setting that to Preferred instead of Required (if it isn't). Otherwise no idea :/ 

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

4 minutes ago, tikker said:

Might be something with the secure connection settings on the server, try setting that to Preferred instead of Required (if it isn't). Otherwise no idea :/ 

Yeah its on preferred already. I tried that several times.

The frustrating thing is it worked before the most recent plex update. :(

Thanks for trying though.

It might be a stupid suggestion...but... have you tried lowering the firewall services? maybe with the update it broke? Sorry dont want to make you loose your time, its just that commonly when there are access problems most of the times is related to firewalls.... (atleast in my experience)

VPN? What is using a VPN?

Are your Plex and other devices on the same subnet?

33 minutes ago, Mikensan said:

VPN? What is using a VPN?

Are your Plex and other devices on the same subnet?

I normally run a VPN all the time unless I want to stream inside my network (I would love to be able to both, but alas).

If it is the same subnet, I am not sure. I will have to check that, I am not sure. If it is not I will have to see if linksys offers the ability to force it.

13 minutes ago, lieder1987 said:

I normally run a VPN all the time unless I want to stream inside my network (I would love to be able to both, but alas).

If it is the same subnet, I am not sure. I will have to check that, I am not sure. If it is not I will have to see if linksys offers the ability to force it.

You can configure VPN connections to allow specific traffic to specific hosts via static routes usually, just have to be careful to not do entire subnets or else DNS might bleed out. But as long as it isn't your plex server on the VPN, then you can troubleshoot with your cellphone or xbox.

Your AppleTV / Xbox should ideally be on the same subnet as your plex server. Otherwise in the Plex server settings you can define local subnets so the plex server knows. You also will need to open the ports between the two networks.

When you log into your xbox and then plex, what status is it showing for your plex server?

23 minutes ago, Mikensan said:

You can configure VPN connections to allow specific traffic to specific hosts via static routes usually, just have to be careful to not do entire subnets or else DNS might bleed out. But as long as it isn't your plex server on the VPN, then you can troubleshoot with your cellphone or xbox.

Ill just turn the VPN off to keep that separate.

24 minutes ago, Mikensan said:

When you log into your xbox and then plex, what status is it showing for your plex server?

Where would I check this? Under devices it just shows that it connected but I cant look at anything specific for details.

On 4/1/2018 at 6:04 PM, lieder1987 said:

I have a Plex server (up to date version) and I can watch files on the computer but I cant get it to connect to any devices in my house (IOS, Apple TV, Xbox, etc.). I turned off the VPN i use to see if that would help, but nothing.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Check if any of this helps:
https://support.plex.tv/articles/204604227-why-can-t-the-plex-app-find-or-connect-to-my-plex-media-server/

Just tried using the web browser on another machine and it couldnt connect directly. I could use the indirect connection, but that shouldnt be the case.

16 hours ago, lieder1987 said:

Ill just turn the VPN off to keep that separate.

Where would I check this? Under devices it just shows that it connected but I cant look at anything specific for details.

The server has a status or activity tab or something IIRC (not at home atm).

Maybe heck the IP addresses of the server and all connected devices on your router? For a local network they'll probably be 192.168.X.Y. You'll want X to be the same on the server and all other devices for them to be able to (easily) connect I think.

23 hours ago, lieder1987 said:

Honestly I'm not 100% on where it is on the xbox, but for a web browser you log into plex, and on the top left side you have a drop down where you can chose other Plex media servers. When you click this, does your server have a green light, yellow light, or red X?

I only suggested the xbox just to have something separate from your plex server to test with.

What is the IP address of your plex server, and what is the IP address of any other machine that can't connect? Are the first three octets the same?

server (cmd prmpt ipconfig) is 192.168.1.138

imac wireless is 192.168.1.155

soo yeah that isnt it either. Thanks for everyone's comments.

I am thinking of doing a full uninstall and wiping that, and reinstalling. Maybe I messed with some deep dark setting that is breaking everything. This used to work...

Well I did a reinstall of Plex with no luck but I reinstalled Windows and that seems to have fixed it for now.

Once I get everything installed again (all my apps I mean), we shall see if it is still working. If it stops I can narrow it down to one of them.

So from the mac you can ping 192.168.1.138 ok?

Through a browser on the mac, can you load http://192.168.1.138:32400/web  and see the PleX Web interface? 

Edit: nevermind i see you just reinstalled it now...

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO + 4 Additional Venturi 120mm Fans | 14 x 20TB Seagate Exos X22 20TB | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

8 hours ago, Jarsky said:

So from the mac you can ping 192.168.1.138 ok?

Through a browser on the mac, can you load http://192.168.1.138:32400/web  and see the PleX Web interface? 

Edit: nevermind i see you just reinstalled it now...

So from the mac i could log in and connect to plex but it would be through an indirect path. So it was using the feature to go outside and back in.

Yeah reinstalled windows, and almost all my programs, and as of right now it is working even with my VPN on. If I want to connect from outside the network the VPN has to be turned off.

So there's something blocking port 32400 between the two endpoints, likely on the plex server. If it happens again I'd look at the windows firewall service and just outright disable it (start > run > services.msc).