The BYOC Project (Build your own Case)

SilicateWielder

If you build your own case using the files I provide, and things go wrong, that's on you, I'm just a bored high school student who wants to carry his desktop PC with him without spending a couple grand on a modern luggable case

I don't know if this belongs here because while I do plan on building a PC once all is said and done, the primary goal is to create a completely modular case system that almost anyone with a 3d printer can print (or machine for those of you who are machinists).

3D Printer Requirements:

• For Delta Printers
    • A build area diameter of 100mm.
    • A build area height of 100mm.
  • For Cartesian Printers
    • A build area of 100mm x 100mm x 100mm

The project is hosted on Onshape, you can find a link here if you want to check it out, I may later be posting it to Thingiverse once a case is actually buildable using it.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/cbc53e541be82d0e252d1f08/w/4b0c37d4a151048941ae8b6c/e/be97687886a1f79c0cd2fff9

The hardware for this build:

• CPU: AMD A8-7600 (Locked Multiplier up to 3.8GHz)
  • RAM: 4GB + 8GB 1600mhz DDR3
  • GPU: Zotac 1050 2GB Low-profile
  • Motherboard: MSI A68H-I Mini ITX
  • HDD 1: WD RE3 1TB @7200RPM (Labeled as Enterprise)
  • HDD 2: WD Blue 500gb @7200RPM
  • PSU: Semi Modular ThermalTake 450 Watt

I'll do my best post updates as the process moves along, this includes design updates, prints (test, or final) and assembly.

My procrastination is the bane of my existence.

I make games and stuff in my spare time.

you could use 80/20 framing rather than the channel stuff that you have in your cad model. I wouldn't imagine that those slots would print very well.

CPU: Ryzen 1700@3.9ghz; GPU: EVGA 560 Ti 1gb; RAM: 16gb 2x8 Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000; PCPP: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/b3xzzM

Nope! It wasn't an April Fools Joke, I'm still working on the project, and have begun adding more panels and framing.

On 3/31/2018 at 5:58 PM, Thermosman said:

you could use 80/20 framing rather than the channel stuff that you have in your cad model. I wouldn't imagine that those slots would print very well.

The slots actually print fairly well, though you have to account for the tolerances of most 3d printers, the models are currently designed to print with a 0.6mm layerheight using a 0.4mm nozzle , though I imagine you can get things to fit well with smaller layerheights and nozzles.I should note that I screwed up the placement for standoffs, if you print this and your mobo fits then that is great, otherwise YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED

large.20180403_180323_HDR.jpg.4afd90a0d1

My printer (Delta style) handled this like a champ considering the panels and framing had to be printed free standing, one panel suffered from slight warping but nothing sever enough to prevent assembly, I'll be glueing the panels together once I learn what kind of adhesive I should use. The material used was Repko White PLA for the majority of this, though the last panel had to be printed using the PLA I recieved with my printer.

Screencap_2018_04_05_at_22_10_03.png.f0c2a84134f16216ac97ebb3b9a438f8.png

I'm also designing some example assemblies and adding more panel/framing sizes as well as pins that you can slide onto framing so you can install cablemanagement, and mounting points for various hardware you may want to install. I'm also going to be adding reinforcement pieces that slip between framing pieces for added rigidity

I'm currently planning to add the following attachments for pins:

• Cable management grommets of various sizes
  • Channeling for cables, various sizes
  • (Possibly?) Decorative paneling, so yo can make the exterior of your chassis look nicer
  • M.3 mounting brackets, angled, edge, and corner

If you guys can think of any other attachments you want to see, mention me with your list of ideas and I'll see what I can do to add them.

My procrastination is the bane of my existence.

I make games and stuff in my spare time.