Possible to use Raspberry Pi to make a wireless display?

MoonlightSylv

So I don't have any spare HDMI ports on my PC (3 monitors+this) and I was wondering if I could use my rpi3 to connect and use the TV as a display over wifi. Is this possible?

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

Theres Miraclecast https://github.com/albfan/miraclecast/wiki/raspberry-pi-3

but thats just casting, not a separate display

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

maybe but that latency and potential bandwidth issues would question why you would go that route. A cheap secondary gpu for ports sounds like a better option

36 minutes ago, ShadowTechXTS said:

So I don't have any spare HDMI ports on my PC (3 monitors+this) and I was wondering if I could use my rpi3 to connect and use the TV as a display over wifi. Is this possible?

Surely you have a displayport or dvi you can adapt?

Failing that, simply use display over USB- way better than wireless. It depends on how long the distance to your TV is, but USB can handle up to 5 meters (~15 ft)

it's time

If you want to use your TV as a gaming setup then I would look a Moonlight. I have a Kodi + Moonlight config on my RPI to stream games. Just note that I would recommend at least ethernet, WiFi is horrible. 

Tech enthusiast and CS Student

34 minutes ago, SCGazelle said:

maybe but that latency and potential bandwidth issues would question why you would go that route. A cheap secondary gpu for ports sounds like a better option

12 minutes ago, CmzPlusHardware said:

If you want to use your TV as a gaming setup then I would look a Moonlight. I have a Kodi + Moonlight config on my RPI to stream games. Just note that I would recommend at least ethernet, WiFi is horrible. 

16 minutes ago, RollTime said:

Surely you have a displayport or dvi you can adapt?

Failing that, simply use display over USB- way better than wireless. It depends on how long the distance to your TV is, but USB can handle up to 5 meters (~15 ft)

I have 3 other monitors I don't need it for gaming, just extra windows.

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

Just now, ShadowTechXTS said:

I have 3 other monitors I don't need it for gaming, just extra windows.

It's also far simpler to set up and you'll have less issues going forward.

it's time

There is 2 ways:

Cheap: Get an usb to hdmi or usb to vga (Latency yes,max reso:1080) but still very cheap 

Expensive:Get an gt 610 they go for 30-20$ in Amazon No latency and extra 3/2 ports and it doesent affect perfomance or nothing (If you have extra pci x8/x16 and your cpu supports extra lanes)

• 2 weeks later...

You could use moonlight not just for gaming but for your use case. I use mine for Kodi and gaming but occasionally I'll just use it for an extra monitor. There is next to no latency with my setup (as in I honestly don't notice it at all) and it was super cheap to setup. You would need to have an existing nvidia gpu that supports gamestream and definitely be hard wired for your case.