Acer Nitro 5

I have recently seen a lot of videos about Acer Nitro 5 gaming Laptop on Youtube... Where a lot of Youtubers have told in there videos that this laptop Heats up a lot and due to this the inbuilt fans runs very fast and produce a lot of noise.... I just wanted to know.... Is there anyone on this forum who has undervolted his Acer Nitro 5 CPU (i5 7300hq) and repasted the CPU and GPU(1050ti) with a better quality Thermal paste and has seen significant improvement in temperatures and Noise level.....   Please Help!!! 

Tbh, it's really hard to find someone that owns the laptop here. The problem with the cooling of Nitro 5 is the CPU is located further from the fan compared to the GPU. Generally, HQ CPU will heat up more and has less efficiency compared to Pascal GPU. As a result, GPU temp is fairly low while CPU reaches high temp under load. Yes it's an outdated design but take a look at Y520. The CPU is located nearer to the fan, as a result the heat from CPU can be dissipated quickly, thus reaching good inner temps. What I can tell you is, repaste and undervolting will definitely help. Also, while under load, noise levels of Nitro 5 are OK, surface temps are very good.

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

10 minutes ago, ZM Fong said:

Tbh, it's really hard to find someone that owns the laptop here. The problem with the cooling of Nitro 5 is the CPU is located further from the fan compared to the GPU. Generally, HQ CPU will heat up more and has less efficiency compared to Pascal GPU. As a result, GPU temp is fairly low while CPU reaches high temp under load. Yes it's an outdated design but take a look at Y520. The CPU is located nearer to the fan, as a result the heat from CPU can be dissipated quickly, thus reaching good inner temps. What I can tell you is, repaste and undervolting will definitely help. Also, while under load, noise levels of Nitro 5 are OK, surface temps are very good.

Ya actually legion y520 is a really good laptop.... But I just wanted to know if I could get better performance out of ACER nitro 5. It's worth going with it because it is a bit cheaper and has a larger battery... The only concern was it's thermal issue.... 

4 minutes ago, Aditya.prakash said:

larger battery

Only 3Wh larger and 4 cell vs 3 cell compared to Y520. The best you can get is 1 hour more IMO. If you need good thermals in 1050/1050TI laptops, Dell 7567/7577, Lenovo Y520 and Acer VX15 offer the best cooling performance. Models like Clevo N850, HP Omen 15 and Acer Nitro 5 are also good but need repaste.

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

2 minutes ago, ZM Fong said:

Only 3Wh larger and 4 cell vs 3 cell compared to Y520. The best you can get is 1 hour more IMO. If you need good thermals in 1050/1050TI laptops, Dell 7567/7577, Lenovo Y520 and Acer VX15 offer the best cooling performance.

So what do you recommend.... Should I go for legion y520 or should I go for ACER nitro 5 and do all those undervolting and repasting stuff with it.... Could you please tell me how much screen on time you are getting with y520 with normal browsing and watching videos... after undervolting your CPU and GPU... And did you repasted it or not...

The Dell 7000 series has excellent thermals and battery life since that’s what you seem to be after. Hey te usually also a bit cheaper than the competition 

That's an F in the profile pic

24 minutes ago, Froody129 said:

usually also a bit cheaper than the competition 

Depends on region. Here the 7567/7577 is more expensive by quite amount of margin.

59 minutes ago, Aditya.prakash said:

So what do you recommend.... Should I go for legion y520 or should I go for ACER nitro 5 and do all those undervolting and repasting stuff with it.... Could you please tell me how much screen on time you are getting with y520 with normal browsing and watching videos... after undervolting your CPU and GPU... And did you repasted it or not...

Both have their own pros and cons. Nitro 5 has a slightly better display, slightly better battery life, slightly better build quality and slightly better surface temps under load. Y520 has better cooling, smaller footprint and better keyboard. You need to do some tweaking with the display via Intel Graphics Control Panel since the contrast of the panel is just OKish. I undervolted both CPU and GPU. I haven't do a repaste yet, maybe I'll do it after the warranty period. Check my review to learn more.

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

• 8 months later...
On 3/27/2018 at 10:51 AM, Aditya.prakash said:

I have recently seen a lot of videos about Acer Nitro 5 gaming Laptop on Youtube... Where a lot of Youtubers have told in there videos that this laptop Heats up a lot and due to this the inbuilt fans runs very fast and produce a lot of noise.... I just wanted to know.... Is there anyone on this forum who has undervolted his Acer Nitro 5 CPU (i5 7300hq) and repasted the CPU and GPU(1050ti) with a better quality Thermal paste and has seen significant improvement in temperatures and Noise level.....   Please Help!!! 

I have the i5 8300h version. I only undervolted it, and I see better temperatures out of it. In the stress test it was 10 degreesc Celsius less. With the original thermal paste. Going to change it tho