GTX 1080 ti Struggling to hit 60fps in Overwatch

Extremematt52

I stream Overwatch on twitch and while I was streaming, I realized my frame rate was dropping down to 60fps and below. As I mentioned, I have a 1080ti so I was shocked when i saw this. I play Overwatch at 2k 144hz and usually its fine. I dropped my game settings to medium and dropped to 1080p 144 and yet the game was still dropping into the 50s even so I don't know what the problem is. Someone please help me.

My PC specs are:

Intel i7 7800X 6 Core Processor 3.6 GHz (Liquid Cooled)

32 GB of GSkill DDR4 3000 Mhz RAM

11 GB MSI Geforce GTX 1080 TI

1TB 960 Evo (IDK if this matters)

(Prebuilt cyberpowerpc system)

My normal game settings are as follows:

1440p (144)

Vsync: Off 
Tripple Buffering: Off
Reduced Buffering: On
Limit FPS: Display Based
Graphics Quality: Ultra
Render Scale: 100%
Texture Quality: High
Texture Filtering Quality: Ultra 8X
Local Fog Detail: High
Dynamic Reflection: Medium
Shadow Detail: High
Model Detail: High
Effects Detail: High
Lighting Quality: Ultra
Antialias Quality: High- SMAA Medium
Refraction Quality: High
Local Reflections: On
Ambient Occlusion: On

Have you checked temps? It also kinda sounds like a driver issue.

Try using the PSU Tier List! 

How to reset the bios/clear the cmos

My current rig:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x

Ram: 1x16gb DDR4, 2x8gb DDR4

Storage: 1tb nvme ssd

GPU: gtx 3080

Monitor: 23.8" Dell S2417DG 144hz g-sync 1440p + 27" Acer S271HL 60 Hz 1080p

Keyboard: ducky one I | I SF

Mouse: gpro wireless | glorious model o2 wireless

Sound : beyerdynamic 1990 pro | Monoprice liquid spark (amp) + topping d10 (dac)

While playing the game, what was your GPU's temperature and utilisation? Likewise your CPU. 

2 minutes ago, Morgan Everett said:

While playing the game, what was your GPU's temperature and utilisation? Likewise your CPU. 

40-50% each CPU and GPU in the 50-60 range

Does it have something to do with ur streaming software?

|| CPU: I7 6950X @4.6 (1.35V) || Cooler: CUSTOM EK LOOP || Motherboard: ASUS RAMPAGE V EDITION 10

|| GPU: 2x Vega 64 Strix OC @1762 / 1100 MHz || Memory: 16GB G.Skill Royal RGB 3200 Mhz ||

HDD: Segate Barracuda 3TB || SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 512 GB || PSU: Corsair HX 1200 W || Case: Fractal Design Define R6 Gunmetal || Fans: Corsair HD120 (x4) / BeQuiet Silent Wings 3 (x4) || Monitor: ACER XF27HU ||

Second Monitor: BENQ RL2455HM || Mouse: Logitech G502 Pretus Core || Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum || Headphones: Sennheiser IE80 ||

Buildlog expirience swapping to x99: 

1 minute ago, Extremematt52 said:

40-50% each CPU and GPU in the 50-60 range

And temperatures?

If those are OK, I'd just reinstall drivers, using DDU. 

2 minutes ago, joshuawi99 said:

Does it have something to do with ur streaming software?

That's what I'm unsure of. Normally if its OBS dropping the settings would improve the framerates but I dropped to 1080p and medium settings but no improvement. 

1 minute ago, Morgan Everett said:

And temperatures?

If those are OK, I'd just reinstall drivers, using DDU. 

50-60 degrees. I'll give that a test thanks

1 minute ago, Extremematt52 said:

That's what I'm unsure of. Normally if its OBS dropping the settings would improve the framerates but I dropped to 1080p and medium settings but no improvement. 

I mean that OBS caps your frames to some degree. What it is your GPU usage while streaming? Im not a streamer so i cant really tell if thats the problem :(

|| CPU: I7 6950X @4.6 (1.35V) || Cooler: CUSTOM EK LOOP || Motherboard: ASUS RAMPAGE V EDITION 10

|| GPU: 2x Vega 64 Strix OC @1762 / 1100 MHz || Memory: 16GB G.Skill Royal RGB 3200 Mhz ||

HDD: Segate Barracuda 3TB || SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 512 GB || PSU: Corsair HX 1200 W || Case: Fractal Design Define R6 Gunmetal || Fans: Corsair HD120 (x4) / BeQuiet Silent Wings 3 (x4) || Monitor: ACER XF27HU ||

Second Monitor: BENQ RL2455HM || Mouse: Logitech G502 Pretus Core || Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum || Headphones: Sennheiser IE80 ||

Buildlog expirience swapping to x99: 

20 minutes ago, hconverse02 said:

Have you checked temps? It also kinda sounds like a driver issue.

Temps are 50-60 degrees on CPU and GPU. Yeah that's what someone else said too.

11 minutes ago, joshuawi99 said:

I mean that OBS caps your frames to some degree. What it is your GPU usage while streaming? Im not a streamer so i cant really tell if thats the problem :(

OBS caps the output frame rate but not really the game framerate. The GPU usage is about 50%

@Extremematt52 

when you say your usual settings and performance, do you mean normal performance while streaming or while not streaming? 

I suggest you to take a look at your clock speeds. Clock speed is very important for higher framerates. That's why cpu performance doesn't really do much at 4K where you only get around 60fps

Just now, Shanhara said:

@Extremematt52 

when you say your usual settings and performance, do you mean normal performance while streaming or while not streaming? 

I suggest you to take a look at your clock speeds. Clock speed is very important for higher framerates. That's why cpu performance doesn't really do much at 4K where you only get around 60fps

I mean while not streaming. I would assume my VC would work harder while streaming and considering that changing my settings didn't effect the game at all, I'm guessing it's a software problem.

4 minutes ago, Extremematt52 said:

I mean while not streaming. I would assume my VC would work harder while streaming and considering that changing my settings didn't effect the game at all, I'm guessing it's a software problem.

Then it probably is a software problem.

But are you sure OBS doesn't limit your game framerates? Maybe try out another streaming service and see if there's any difference

3 minutes ago, Shanhara said:

Then it probably is a software problem.

But are you sure OBS doesn't limit your game framerates? Maybe try out another streaming service and see if there's any difference

As far as I'm aware, it doesn't limit frame rates bc I haven't had this problem before but I'll give something else a try.

Update, I updated my drivers and it fixed the problem. I am losing maybe 10 frames now instead of the more than half of my fps. So thank you!