CPU recommendation

I'm passing my R7 1700 to my wife, complete with motherboard and RAM.

So what do I get for myself today?

I'm looking at Ryzen+ however it doesn't look like it's quite caught up with Intel. Still, a 2700X is a possibility.

8700K would be my preferred choice if it doesn't look like your overclocking experience can range from fantastic to nightmarish due to the IHS issues.

What about 7800/20/40X? Do they have less issues with thermals? Do they offer as good performance as the 8700K in gaming and heavily threaded apps?

Do you already have x370/fast ram? If so, get ryzen 2.0, if not and you are ok spending more, get 8th gen

Try using the PSU Tier List! 

How to reset the bios/clear the cmos

My current rig:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x

Ram: 1x16gb DDR4, 2x8gb DDR4

Storage: 1tb nvme ssd

GPU: gtx 3080

Monitor: 23.8" Dell S2417DG 144hz g-sync 1440p + 27" Acer S271HL 60 Hz 1080p

Keyboard: ducky one I | I SF

Mouse: gpro wireless | glorious model o2 wireless

Sound : beyerdynamic 1990 pro | Monoprice liquid spark (amp) + topping d10 (dac)

I don't, it's a B350 with 2133 (carried over from a dead 5820K build).

I'm really hesitant with 8th gen Intel because of the thermals. I don't want to be stuck with a CPU that I can barely overclock and no right to return it.

7820X/7900x with the best AIO you can get (240mm and above like Kraken 62 or Corsair H115i + thermal grizzly or MX4 TIM), and a properly cooled motherboard(EVGA X299 Dark) will be amazing for an all-purpose build.

The 8700K has the margin in pure gaming and only when OCed 5Ghz, but 7820X is nothing to laugh at. And outperforms ryzen by 20ish % on single and multithreaded tests.

Wet dreams are made of this.

2 hours ago, StrafeJog said:

I'm passing my R7 1700 to my wife, complete with motherboard and RAM.

So what do I get for myself today?

I'm looking at Ryzen+ however it doesn't look like it's quite caught up with Intel. Still, a 2700X is a possibility.

8700K would be my preferred choice if it doesn't look like your overclocking experience can range from fantastic to nightmarish due to the IHS issues.

What about 7800/20/40X? Do they have less issues with thermals? Do they offer as good performance as the 8700K in gaming and heavily threaded apps?

That is a hard question what do you mainly use your PC for?

6 minutes ago, SMBGUY said:

That is a hard question what do you mainly use your PC for?

Bit of everything. Threaded applications, gaming, gaming and streaming, gaming and watching videos at the same time, rendering, encoding.

The reason I've not mentioned an i5 is because I don't want to lose hyperthreading/SMT. I feel like in some games I will already be losing performance when multitasking if I do that.

53 minutes ago, faziten said:

7820X/7900x with the best AIO you can get (240mm and above like Kraken 62 or Corsair H115i + thermal grizzly or MX4 TIM), and a properly cooled motherboard(EVGA X299 Dark) will be amazing for an all-purpose build.

The 8700K has the margin in pure gaming and only when OCed 5Ghz, but 7820X is nothing to laugh at. And outperforms ryzen by 20ish % on single and multithreaded tests.

Wet dreams are made of this.

Not a fan of ASUS boards as the last one I had fried itself and my 5820K. I'd be looking at ASRock I think, I've built about 5 machines with those things and they're all still in tip-top shape.

7820X is a tad expensive by the looks of it, is the 7800X much of a drop?

2 minutes ago, StrafeJog said:

Not a fan of ASUS boards as the last one I had fried itself and my 5820K. I'd be looking at ASRock I think, I've built about 5 machines with those things and they're all still in tip-top shape.

7820X is a tad expensive by the looks of it, is the 7800X much of a drop?

Its EVGA bro :ph34r:

6 minutes ago, StrafeJog said:

Bit of everything. Threaded applications, gaming, gaming and streaming, gaming and watching videos at the same time, rendering, encoding.

The reason I've not mentioned an i5 is because I don't want to lose hyperthreading/SMT. I feel like in some games I will already be losing performance when multitasking if I do that.

As a proud Ryzen 7 owner i would still buy coffeelake and get a decent AIO and OC the hell out of it if anything it would be fun to play around with also i think temps being a limited factor to how far you can overclock it is actually even more fun haha. 

Make separate profiles i mean you will have to use less voltage for 4.7ghz then 5.0ghz.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/intel_core_i7_8700k_processor_review,27.html

But a 2700X isn't a bad option either i'm thinking they will be limited to 4.2-4.3ghz for overclocking though and IPC will still be behind Intel by around 10% at least.

20 minutes ago, faziten said:

Its EVGA bro :ph34r:

Sorry. ASUS on the brain.

EDIT: on X299 boards, is the second EPS power connector optional? Seeing mixed information.

57 minutes ago, StrafeJog said:

Sorry. ASUS on the brain.

EDIT: on X299 boards, is the second EPS power connector optional? Seeing mixed information.

Most of the time it's optional, yes. x299, you better plug it in. To be completely honest the problem starts with 10 core and above (and with overclocking in place). But, if there is an optional EPS, plug it in, better safe than sorry.

Here is a complete review of this particular topic and a complete analysis of der8auer. (Take in consideration this was mostly ironed down thanks to his report).

https://www.extremetech.com/computing/251882-overclocker-claims-x299-vrm-temperatures-disaster-limit-skylake-x-potential

1 minute ago, faziten said:

Most of the time it's optional, yes. x299, you better plug it in. To be completely honest the problem starts with 10 core and above (and with overclocking in place). But, if there is an optional EPS, plug it in, better safe than sorry.

Here is a complete review of this particular topic and a complete analysis of der8auer. (Take in consideration this was mostly ironed down thanks to his report).

https://www.extremetech.com/computing/251882-overclocker-claims-x299-vrm-temperatures-disaster-limit-skylake-x-potential

Extremely helpful, thanks.

11 hours ago, StrafeJog said:

Extremely helpful, thanks.

You figure out what you are gonna get after the recent 2700X leaked benchmarks in my opinion a 8700K is a better value  

I'm an Intel all the way kind of person, as for the mobo Asus makes the absolute most stable boards I have ever used and they have the lowest failure rate. Coffee Lake would be my recommendation, if not the good 'ol i7-7700K, because if you're gaming you should of course put all the money into your GPU's as you won't see a huge difference in a lot of games before four cores with HT.

42 minutes ago, OverC1ockeD said:

I'm an Intel all the way kind of person, as for the mobo Asus makes the absolute most stable boards I have ever used and they have the lowest failure rate. Coffee Lake would be my recommendation, if not the good 'ol i7-7700K, because if you're gaming you should of course put all the money into your GPU's as you won't see a huge difference in a lot of games before four cores with HT.

Nah, my ASUS X99A fried itself and my CPU in warranty and ASUS refused to honour it. In the process of taking them through small claims court still. Never buying ASUS again.

AsRock for me.

2 hours ago, SMBGUY said:

You figure out what you are gonna get after the recent 2700X leaked benchmarks in my opinion a 8700K is a better value  

Looks like I'm going with the 8700K. Having a hard time finding decent motherboards in stock in Switzerland to go with the 7820X, not to mention PSUs that have 2 EPS power connectors.

I agree, the 2700X doesn't look worth it.

10 minutes ago, StrafeJog said:

Nah, my ASUS X99A fried itself and my CPU in warranty and ASUS refused to honour it. In the process of taking them through small claims court still. Never buying ASUS again.

AsRock for me.

Looks like I'm going with the 8700K. Having a hard time finding decent motherboards in stock in Switzerland to go with the 7820X, not to mention PSUs that have 2 EPS power connectors.

get 8700k and asrock z370 taichi

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x3D | MoBo: MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | RAM: G.Skill F4-3600C15D-16GTZ @3800CL16 | GPU: RTX 2080Ti | PSU: Corsair HX1200 | 

Case: Lian Li 011D XL | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB, Crucial MX500 500GB | Soundcard: Soundblaster ZXR | Mouse: Razer Viper Mini | Keyboard: Razer Huntsman TE Monitor: DELL AW2521H @360Hz |

Just now, DarkSmith2 said:

get 8700k and asrock z370 taichi

Is the Taichi worth the premium over the Extreme4?

16 minutes ago, StrafeJog said:

AsRock for me.

I used to be an intel newb all the way untill one day i saw the light and went amd... not regretting it one bit, i game/stream/have 9 gazillion threads open etc and not a single stutter or hickups... took me a while to tinker with the ASUS (crap) bios settings but have finally got it rock solid at 3.925ghz 1.364vcore 22c idle 53c load with an Fractal S24 aio... was getting the h115i but shop decided to rip me off so i said fuck it and bought the fractal.. im super happy with changing from my 6700k that beat the 7 and 8th gen clock for clock in cinebench r15.... 

Performance vs price AMD all day long
Performance vs stupidity = intel all day long

Forgot to mention i stream music online aswell to my pc not to the internet and it never stutters or lags like it did on my intel platform
;)

3 minutes ago, Kenjo said:

I used to be an intel newb all the way untill one day i saw the light and went amd... not regretting it one bit, i game/stream/have 9 gazillion threads open etc and not a single stutter or hickups... took me a while to tinker with the ASUS (crap) bios settings but have finally got it rock solid at 3.925ghz 1.364vcore 22c idle 53c load with an Fractal S24 aio... was getting the h115i but shop decided to rip me off so i said fuck it and bought the fractal.. im super happy with changing from my 6700k that beat the 7 and 8th gen clock for clock in cinebench r15.... 

Performance vs price AMD all day long
Performance vs stupidity = intel all day long

;)

Don't bring that fanboy crap in my thread, please.

I'm suffering through a Ryzen build at the moment. It's the worst build I've ever had. Shit BIOS updates, a CPU that barely overclocks despite good thermals, poor gaming performance, RAM instability.

Nah. Maybe Gen 2 is better but the Zen+ leaks are disappointing.

1 minute ago, StrafeJog said:

Don't bring that fanboy crap in my thread, please.

I'm suffering through a Ryzen build at the moment. It's the worst build I've ever had. Shit BIOS updates, a CPU that barely overclocks despite good thermals, poor gaming performance, RAM instability.

Nah. Maybe Gen 2 is better but the Zen+ leaks are disappointing.

It wasnt me that brought any fanboy crap in here i mearly answered the earlier post about fanboyism... 

You are quite unlucky then considering i have 4 x 4gb ddr4 2400mhz@ 2666mhz no problems and i went knowingly into the fact that Ryzen in some cases reaches 4ghz others it wont ... regardless of thermals.. 

I personally havent had any ram instability issues but thats perhaps due to the fact that i know 2666mhz is the most stable oc you can do on your ram on a Ryzen platform.. anything above that becomes dodgy as hell , 

As for Gen 2 we cant know untill its actually out.. leaks are not a good measurement of how awsome a product is because most of the time they are skewed.. 

Also i stated facts with my I7 6700k vs R7 1700 .. since ive had and used both systems... 

In the end its your money and your choice but i suggest you do some hard reading on Tweaktown/linus/hardocp/toms about the different platforms, all ive heard of the 8th gen is that they get very hot and a delidding can take 20 c of the temps... seems dodgy to me 

13 minutes ago, StrafeJog said:

Is the Taichi worth the premium over the Extreme4?

overclocking considered, unfortunately, yes totally worth it.

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x3D | MoBo: MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | RAM: G.Skill F4-3600C15D-16GTZ @3800CL16 | GPU: RTX 2080Ti | PSU: Corsair HX1200 | 

Case: Lian Li 011D XL | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB, Crucial MX500 500GB | Soundcard: Soundblaster ZXR | Mouse: Razer Viper Mini | Keyboard: Razer Huntsman TE Monitor: DELL AW2521H @360Hz |

10 minutes ago, DarkSmith2 said:

overclocking considered, unfortunately, yes totally worth it.

And yet, all the reviews I've read of the Extreme4 say that it's one of the most stable boards for overclocking with above average VRM temperatures.

1 minute ago, StrafeJog said:

And yet, all the reviews I've read of the Extreme4 say that it's one of the most stable boards for overclocking with above average VRM temperatures.

which is true, and it might even be mostly the same Hardware as the Taichi, but its still missing voltage settings and stuff in its Bios, which are available on the Taichi.

1 minute ago, DarkSmith2 said:

which is true, and it might even be mostly the same Hardware as the Taichi, but its still missing voltage settings and stuff in its Bios, which are available on the Taichi.

Oh does it?

Does it have LLC, vcore, system agent and BCLK settings? That's as far as I go with overclocking anyway.

Just now, StrafeJog said:

Oh does it?

Does it have LLC, vcore, system agent and BCLK settings? That's as far as I go with overclocking anyway.

yes it has, you are good to go with it then :D