Techquickie and Misinformation

LAwLz

The point I was making is that even ostensibly educational material is not immune from errors.  The points you were making were largely insignificant to the overall thrust of the episode anyway.  It just comes off as nitpicking with a massive amount of doubling-down throughout the rest of the thread, as though ALL of the other much more pertinent info disseminated in the video was "misinformation" which is just not even close to true.  So they got a couple of small facts incorrect; that doesn't mean the entire video's educational merit should be thrown away.

Intel Core i7 4930K @ 4.7GHz | Asus Rampage IV Extreme | 2 x EVGA GTX Titan SC (1254MHz) | 16GB Patriot Viper Extreme DDR3 2133MHz (4 x 4GB) | Corsair AX1200 | Silverstone Temjin TJ11 | Corsair Force 3 240GB (System) | 2 x Intel 320 160GB SSD (Dedicated Gaming Drives) | Hitachi Deskstar 1TB (Data) | MS Windows 10 Pro | EK Supreme HF/FC-Titan/Rampage IV Extreme blocks | Hardware Labs GTX 560/240 rads | Alphacool VPP-655 D5 pump | Bitspower mod kit/pump top/fittings/120mm res

3 hours ago, MegaTechPC said:

The point I was making is that even ostensibly educational material is not immune from errors.  The points you were making were largely insignificant to the overall thrust of the episode anyway.  It just comes off as nitpicking with a massive amount of doubling-down throughout the rest of the thread, as though ALL of the other much more pertinent info disseminated in the video was "misinformation" which is just not even close to true.  So they got a couple of small facts incorrect; that doesn't mean the entire video's educational merit should be thrown away.

Again, these are not minor errors. These are fundamental misunderstandings of how not just VPNs and MAC addresses work, but networking as a whole.

Someone watching that VPN video will not understand how a VPN works, not even on a basic level. In fact, they will have a great misunderstanding of how they work. The same can be said for the MAC address video, and possibly other videos as well.

These are errors as big as saying "cars drive on the road because the road transfers energy into the car, which makes it go forward or backwards". The concept might not be wrong per se, cars do drive on roads. However, the reason why and how it works are completely wrong and it can lead people to jump to several wrong conclusions down the line too.

What's an even bigger problem is that their viewers doesn't know any better, so it becomes a case of the blind leading the blind. Linus doesn't have any idea what he is talking about, neither does his writers, but his viewers don't understand it either (hence why they are watching these educational videos to begin with, to learn).

Shouldn't someone working as an educator strive to actually provide correct information? I believe Linus' viewers deserve better than these videos which I can frankly not describe as anything but garbage as far as the educational value goes.

There is also a significant difference in finding a few errors in 200-500 pages of books or finding multiple errors in a 2 minute video. I mean the content of most TQs can fit snugly on 1 or 2 pages.

Don't get me wrong - The relatively low amount of information is not bad, just the relationship of information to errors is.