Blurry blue screen crashes? Anyone?

Tz000

Hey all,

So a few months back I built my girlfriend a new PC with the following specs:

CPU:  Ryzen 5 1600 - Stock cooler, Stock speeds

GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970 Stock Speeds no overclock.

PSU: XFX 1000w Modular (Extra I had around)

MOBO: MSI Gaming Pro carbon ATX AM4

RAM: Gskill Trident Z 2400MHZ running at 2133 everything in auto. 2x8GB sticks

HDD: WD Blue 3.0TB

SSD: Kingston 128GB (Boot/windows drive)

CASE: NZXT S340

The computer has been working quite well for the time being, but in the last few weeks my girlfriend has been experiencing these really odd blue screen crashes (photo below). The crashes happen randomly and sometimes not for a couple days.. and usually when using Adobe programs but she has said it did it once while using Chrome...  She primarily uses the PC for her graphic design work using the Adobe suite of programs (indesign, photoshop etc) and these crashes could lead to disaster if her work doesn't save fully or something of that nature, so needless to say I want to get this under control.. 

Ok so now onto what I have tried / changed:

After doing some reading of my own and google searches I have tried the following to troubleshoot the problem and am unsure if they have made a difference yet but I will find out tonight.

1. Reseated GPU & Power connectors

2. "    "       " CPU Power connector

3. "    "       " 24PIn MOBO power

4. Swapped out her Ram for the ram from my PC so now its running Trident Z RGB 3200 @ 2933mhz 1.350v auto timings ( I have the same MOBO + CPU and this ram was stable on my board at these settings)

5. Updated GPU Driver to the latest and used DDU to uninstall the old drivers

6. Checked for windows updates - none present.

7. Checked Device manager for out of date drivers or warning markers

8.Removed a dead 500GB HDD that was still connected to SATA power + SATA data cable to the MOBO. ( This got ruined while building the PC due to using a EVGA sata power cable on the XFX psu.. it shorted and the pc would only turn on for a brief second and shut down obviously to protect itself. ) Since then I just put in a 3TB WD blue and forgot that other drive was even hooked up... maybe this is what was causing the problems?

9. Cleaned any excessive dust from the case and surrounding areas

10. Checked temps on GPU , CPU ETC with HWmonitor and all look fine CPU idle always under 30-40c, GPU idle around 40-45c.  Neither even see full load for her use so temps are always pretty cool even while benchmarking her cpu stays under 60c and gpu up around 70-80c. Pretty normal if you ask me.

PHOTO IS ATTACHED.

Thank you to whoever has taken the time to read through this,  any help or suggestions are much appreciated!

I am hoping with the changes I made this morning this problem will go away.. but I will update this post when I get home tonight and see if she has experienced any crashes.

Cheers!

Resized_20180313_143723_7135001.jpg

i would reinstall windows, maybe there is aproblem with some built in video drivers, otherwise I think it might be the gpu itself, but as there is a task bar displayed properly I would go for the software issue

When troubleshooting BSODs it's always nice to be able to inspect the dump. Check out the sticky on this forum for instructions. Once you've uploaded the dump we might have some more information to work with.

Edit: I mostly like Method B, but that's just me.

1 hour ago, kevp453 said:

When troubleshooting BSODs it's always nice to be able to inspect the dump. Check out the sticky on this forum for instructions. Once you've uploaded the dump we might have some more information to work with.

Edit: I mostly like Method B, but that's just me.

Ok I will get that uploaded ASAP when I get home tonight. Thanks

Also what is "Method B"? haha reinstall windows?  EDIT: Method B for finding dump files gotchya haha!

Cheers.

2 hours ago, wojtepanik said:

i would reinstall windows, maybe there is aproblem with some built in video drivers, otherwise I think it might be the gpu itself, but as there is a task bar displayed properly I would go for the software issue

Could running a non activated version of windows cause this issue?

Thanks for the help guys!

14 hours ago, Tz000 said:

Could running a non activated version of windows cause this issue?

I doubt it. 

7 hours ago, kevp453 said:

I doubt it. 

K,

So I went to check the mini dump folder last night and there was a couple files there but now I went to check today and there is nothing there... but also no crashes since yesterday morning... I will be sure to get them next time via method B if it happens again and get them posted up.  

Thanks again 

Cheers.