OpenVPN on TCP 443 Blocked

J_Watson123

Hi,

I set up an OpenVPN server on an old laptop at my house on port TCP 443 to use at my school as they block lots of sites. I thought TCP 443 would work as normal encrypted web traffic is on that port so they mustn't have blocked it but today I found that the VPN didn't work, it works fine on other networks and on my phone's data but not the school WIFI. Is there a way to bypass this? I've tried OpenVPN on the normal UDP port (1194) as well along with PPTP on 1723 but nothing works. I've got a webserver running which I can connect to on port 80 so I know they haven't blocked my domain name. I read somewhere that SSTP would work but I have no idea how to set up a server for that on an old Linux laptop.

Any help with this would be appreciated :)

There is really nothing you can do here. The high school I worked at used Sonicwall as a firewall service for this exact purpose. Physical hardware prevents outbound connections to the most common proxy and VPN ports on all student networks. If your school uses RDP internally, you might have some luck with RDP ports if you're willing to use this instead.

Note that there serious legal issues about allowing students to access certain sites while in an educational environment, which is why these countermeasures are established in the first place.

http://www.ncsl.org/research/telecommunications-and-information-technology/state-internet-filtering-laws.aspx

Make sure to quote me or use @PorkishPig to notify me that you replied!

Desktop

CPU - Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler - Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard - ASUS TUF X570-PLUS RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 32GB Case - Meshify C

GPU - RTX 3080 FE PSU - Straight Power 11 850W Platinum Storage - 980 PRO 1TB, 960 EVO 500GB, S31 1TB, MX500 500GB | OS - Windows 11 Pro

Homelab

CPU - Core i5-11400 | Cooler - Noctua NH-U12S | Motherboard - ASRock Z590M-ITX RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 32GB (2x16)  | Case - Node 304

PSU - EVGA B3 650W | Storage - 860 EVO 256GB, Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB, WD Red 4TB (x6 in RAIDZ1 w/ LSI 9207-8i) | OS - TrueNAS Scale (Debian)

Thanks for the help, yeah they do use RDP, I'll give that a go.

Pretty much all schools will be using a filtering service, such as Sonic, Smoothwall, Lightspeed, etc and that'll be what's stopping your traffic. Chances are that the school also have real-time monitoring of each client computer and log everything you do.

Plus, you should not be asking how to bypass a school's Internet filtering system on this forum.

Stop and think a second, something is more than nothing.

I had the same problem. I managed to work around it by downloading the openvpn program and profile while on my wi-fi network and enabling it on my school network. That worked for me. 

CPU: AMD 3800X GPU: GTX 1080 Ti RAM: (16GB) 2x Corsair 8gb DDR4 3200Mhz Drives: SanDisk 240GB SSD, Samsung 500GB SSD, WD 1TB HDD

Motherboard: MSI X470 Gaming pro plus PSU: Gigabyte 650 watt Monitor(s): 27 inch AOC 1440p

7 hours ago, dionkoffie said:

I had the same problem. I managed to work around it by downloading the openvpn program and profile while on my wi-fi network and enabling it on my school network. That worked for me. 

Yeah I've tried that, the VPN works elsewhere but as soon I as I connect to the school WiFi it stops