Question on Wi-Fi and Local Transfer Speeds

phongle123

Not sure whether this should be in Networking or not since it's just a question not about actual networking.

Background: I have a 100Mb/s DL.

When I do a speedtest over Wi-Fi it shows 65Mb/s DL.

In the mornings my transfer speed from PC>NAS over Wi-Fi is ~20MB/s which is 160Mb/s. SSD>HDD

At nights my speed is ~8MB/s which is 64Mb/s. SSD>HDD

Mornings NAS>PC transfers at 35MB/s which is 280Mb/s. HDD>SSD

Over Cable it is a constant 80MB\s OFC.

PC>NAS. When I do a download at 1MB/s while transferring at 20MB/s, my PC>NAS transfer speed goes down to 17MB/s.

NAS>PC. When I do a download at 825KB/s while transferring at 35MB/s, my PC>NAS transfer speed goes down to 29-30MB/s.

1) Is this correct? Even transferring locally through Wi-Fi I would think that my upper limit would be affected my the DL speed of my internet which is 100Mb/s (12.5MB/s) instead of the 20MB/s or the 35MB/s.

2) Is the transfer speed supposed decrease in multiples when I am downloading over the internet? Since my internet speed maxes out at 12.5MB/s (100Mb/s) or 8.125MB/s (@65Mb/s speedtest). So I am taking 8.125MB/s for this test as that is the speed I am actually getting.

EX: When downloading at 1MB/s, instead of losing 1MB from the 20MB/s transfer (making it 19MB/s) I would lose 2.46MB/s (=20/8.125), making it 17.54MB/s transfer? Which is what I'm seeing from my tests.

So I would lose 2.46MB/s from my PC>NAS transfer per 1MB/s of download from the internet?

3) I'm going to assume this is also right, when Wi-Fi is on my PC but I disconnect internet access it still transfers. I'm assuming this is correct since it is transferring locally through the Wi-Fi.

I don’t see a question. Are you asking if the varying WIFI speed is normal behavior? If so, then yes. WIFI is extremely susceptibile to environmental factors. 

6 hours ago, beavo451 said:

I don’t see a question. Are you asking if the varying WIFI speed is normal behavior? If so, then yes. WIFI is extremely susceptibile to environmental factors. 

if you keep reading past the first line you'lI see multiple questions. And no environment is not a factor as I know my speed over the last couple of months have been steady and the same. The speedtest was already due to that factor and I already factored that in. And lastly before you reply with this; my speed does not fluctuate. It only changes at night when there are a lot more people on since my area only supports 1 ISP.

These are general questions in the 1, 2 and 3. If you don't want to answer them or don't know the answer to them then move on. There's no need to say that there are no questions when there certainly are.

9 hours ago, phongle123 said:

if you keep reading past the first line you'lI see multiple questions. And no environment is not a factor as I know my speed over the last couple of months have been steady and the same. The speedtest was already due to that factor and I already factored that in. And lastly before you reply with this; my speed does not fluctuate. It only changes at night when there are a lot more people on since my area only supports 1 ISP.

These are general questions in the 1, 2 and 3. If you don't want to answer them or don't know the answer to them then move on. There's no need to say that there are no questions when there certainly are.

you need to check your formatting

1603e08e5f7e983dce3a0e8d97f9e4d8.pngb8ce8430de50c5a304e2549afb071ade.png

CPU: i7-8700K

Motherboard: ASUS Prime Z370-A

Memory: 32GB TridentZ RGB

GPU: Gigabyte GTX970 G1 Gaming
Storage: 256GB Samsung 850 Pro, 4TB WD Black, 1TB Seagate somethingorother

10 hours ago, phongle123 said:

If your speeds are different at night then your speed most certainly fluctuate. Are there other residences close by? Increased WIFI traffic increases interference. Environment is always a factor because you never know if there is increased radio interference. You generally cannot control environmental conditions either. 

I dont see a 1 and 2. I don’t see a single question mark in 3 either.