Gaming CPU Needed

Go to solution Solved by WallacEngineering,

@DerBobby

Alright man, lets cut through the stupid arguments and make some sense out of all this.

Intel - Better at frames thanks to higher IPC and clock speeds

Ryzen - Better at multitasking, especially for the price with the extra cores and threads. Also, its not TOO far behind on gaming than Intel, and still pushes 100+ frames on most games as long as youve got good, high speed RAM.

Ok, now that that crap is settled, lets go over the pecking order.

When Ryzen lauched, it was designed to target the Intel 7000 series, and it did just that. The i7 7700K remained the supreme gaming commander but the Ryzen 7 1800X proved to be a worthy advisary. Coming up ever so slightly short on the games, but packing TWICE the Cores and Threads, the 1800X smashed the 7700K to smithereens for anybody who had any common sense. The tiny gains in gaming held by the 7700K where NOWHERE near justifiable.

Fast forward a bit and Intel jumps on the 6-Core bandwagen with the 8000 series. Lets face it, they needed to. Ryzen was smashing Intels face in and they needed to answer back with the new gaming King: The i7 8700K. Its a serious beast and kicked Ryzens face right back in where they came from. The extra 2 Cores and 4 Threads gave gamers a good reason to choose Intel once again.

Fast Forward to today. Today would be a really, REALLY bad time to build a new system. Not only are GPU prices still somewhat high, but the Ryzen 2000 chips are less than 30 days from launch, so you have no idea if that shiny new 8700K of yours will immediately have its head curb-stomped by Ryzen 2000.

I think Ryzen 2000 will be an exact repeat of Ryzen 1000 versus Intel 7000, with Intel just leading ahead in gaming on the 8700K in sheer frames, and the Ryzen 2700X absolutely smashing Intel just about everywhere else, especially for the price.

So your best option? Wait a bit longer. Wait for Ryzen 2000 and see how it does, THEN make your decision.

Me? Ive got a Ryzen 5 1600X, its a great gaming CPU, and can push 100+ frames like its 1800X big brother, just with fewer cores. I LOVE this CPU, its perfect, everything I had dreamed of.

Would I call myself AMD biased? No, Ive owned plenty of Intel-based systems and I loved them too.

When Ryzen came out, I saw the opportunity to strike at the tyrant and monopoly that was Intel, and I took it. We all know they had WAYYYYYY too much power. So until the Global Market Share levels out a bit more, I support team RED.

There you go, if you have any questions, just ask.

Inb4 ryzen fanboy goes "lol. Its ONLY 40 fps difference. Get over it! Nd those benchmarks are fake, according to this 100% reliable source, theres only a 5 fps difference between a 8700k overclocked to 10ghz and undervolted 1400"

But in all seriousness, if you want the best performance, its intel or bust. No ryzen can ever compete with intel's gaming performance. (Also the 8700k will crush any ryzen at workstation tasks but its 900aud for mobo and cpu)

Do you do workstation tasks alot? Go with ryzen. Or are you on a tight budget? Ryzen again. If you have a decent budget and only game, intel

2 hours ago, stateofpsychosis said:

The CPU isn't as important for gaming.

Just get something that'll do you and focus your money on the graphics card.

Heck, I run haswell systems and I don't experience any bottlenecks.

I would recommend a newer platform though for lots of other reasons if you're going to buy new anyways like how 1150 socket motherboards are hard to come by new now. Used is a whole other story.

Both Intel and Ryzen will do you fine.

Just go with something that's at least 4 core, around 3.5ghz ish or higher and you'll be fine.

If you're looking to get into stuff like VR, your motherboard actually matters more.

You want an extra PCIe lane (That's not covered by the graphics card fan shroud!) for a USB expansion card if you need one and you want lots of USB 3.0 for that.

That stuff tends to matter more.

Just do up a pcpartpicker list.. go with like a ryzen 5 or maybe a 6700k.. whichever you prefer and show us what you come up with. I can check over your motherboard choice before you buy ;)

If you get a slightly older K skew processor instead of buying something really new like coffeelake, you can just overclock to get closer to the same level of performance. As long as you put a decent cooler on there of course. Even an evo 212 would be enough to do a decent OC. It's not hard to do a basic overclock either. 

https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/6t4ccY

What do you think about that part list?

As a gpu I would get the EVGA 1080 SC Gaming

Just now, LoganTNZ said:

I personally wouldnt go with an m.2 drive. Theres barely any noticable difference between m.2 and sata in most situations

I would use the m.2 for my operating system. Is that unnecessary?

4 minutes ago, DerBobby said:

Youre paying 100 euros for less than a second faster boot time

1 minute ago, LoganTNZ said:

Youre paying 100 euros for less than a second faster boot time

Ok then I won´t get that and use that money for something else.

32 minutes ago, DerBobby said:

Luxury but not unnecessary. I want one, friends have some, its a big difference but not as big as from HDD to SSD. Still relevant if you plan to make your system as snappy as possible. Some games do benefit also, but most of them dont.

i personally would rather cut the HDD, they are loud, huge, slow, warm, heavy no reason to buy them for gaming rigs in 2018 if you dont handle with HUGE amounts of data.

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x3D | MoBo: MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | RAM: G.Skill F4-3600C15D-16GTZ @3800CL16 | GPU: RTX 2080Ti | PSU: Corsair HX1200 | 

Case: Lian Li 011D XL | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB, Crucial MX500 500GB | Soundcard: Soundblaster ZXR | Mouse: Razer Viper Mini | Keyboard: Razer Huntsman TE Monitor: DELL AW2521H @360Hz |

@LoganTNZ @DarkSmith2 don't conflate m.2 and nvme. An mx300 m.2 will likely be less expensive than it's 2.5" counterpart, and I strongly recommend ditching standard sata.  M.2 is on the rise, it's not worth investing in a decade old connection system

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

2 hours ago, Damascus said:

Please provide some proofo, have you tested with  a thermal probe, do you have a fan blowing directly on it etc

If it’s not on fire and lasts for years then it’s cooler than a polar bear by my standards

Rig Specs:

Ryzen 7 1700 3.9ghz @1.33125v Cinebench Scores Best:1750cb Average: 1735cb

Asrock X370 SLI/AC  SOLD

Evga GTX 560 Ti 1gb    Just got a EVGA GTX 780 HydroCopper

G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x8gb 2400mhz oc’d to 2666mhz (bought when ram was still cheap :()  

Corsair RM850

Enthoo Pro M Acrylic Changing to a Inwin 301 soon

Custom CPU Loop (watercooling is boring to me right now so I want to go back to air cooling and do like one more WC Loop in a Inwin 301)

Intel 256gb SSD

Kingston 240gb SSD

HyperX 90gb SSD

Not So Shitbox v3 Specs:

I7 2600k oc'd to 4.7 @ 1.4ish (will do more when I get a better cooler) 

MSI P67-GD55  Sold to fund my gpu

Gigabyte Windforce HD 6950

Team Elite Plus 8gb DDR3 (1 stick) @ 1600mhz

Thermaltake Toughpower 750 watt

Cooler Master T4

Enthoo Luxe 

Kingston 120gb SSD

WD Black 1tb HDD

Laptop:

Asus GL552VW-DH71

i7 6700HQ

2x8gb DDR4 

1tb hard drive

GTX 960m

15in IPS 1080p display

7 hours ago, Damascus said:

@LoganTNZ @DarkSmith2 don't conflate m.2 and nvme. An mx300 m.2 will likely be less expensive than it's 2.5" counterpart, and I strongly recommend ditching standard sata.  M.2 is on the rise, it's not worth investing in a decade old connection system

For gaming, theres little difference. And, really, its only a second difference in bolt times. Its not like going from a hdd to a ssd. And they are actually more expensive. That 250gb samsung evo is a bit more expensive than a 500gb sata ssd

And you shouldnt ditch the hdd, OP. Its not very expensive for 1tb and it can hold all your large, multiplayer games

EDIT: nvm im dumb. What i said is embarrassing, please ignore me

Edited by LoganTNZ

I don't know what your budget is but I would just get a 1.1tb ssd and an 8700k.  You also need cpu cooling

PCPartPicker part list: https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/wrbm8Y

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor  (€314.84 @ Mindfactory) 
Motherboard: ASRock - Z370 Extreme4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  (€153.94 @ Mindfactory) 
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (€184.84 @ Mindfactory) 
Storage: Crucial - MX300 1.1TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  (€242.40 @ Mindfactory) 
Case: Phanteks - ECLIPSE P400S TEMPERED GLASS ATX Mid Tower Case  (€89.90 @ Caseking) 
Total: €985.92

11 hours ago, This kid builds pc said:

Got my 1700 on a 50 dollar potato at the moment oc'd to 3.9 and the VRMs are cooler than a polar bear

Polar bears arnt that cold .. the enviroment they live in is... logic much ? 

R7 1700@3.95ghz 1.38vcore 55c load 22c idle ... 

This on Asus B350m-a Prime..... Vrms... if they pop they pop 3 year warranty.... ;)

OP, what many of the Intel proponents seem to be conveniently leaving out of the conversation is that there are going to be new Ryzen processors launching in April. Now ask yourself, "Would I like to waste my money unnecessarily?". If the answer is no, then I would recommend waiting until April hits in a few weeks, unless your budget is in the $1700+ range.

Lappy: i7 8750H | GTX 1060 Max Q | 16Gb 2666Mhz RAM | 256Gb SSD | 1TB HDD | 1080p IPS panel @60Hz | Dell G5

3 hours ago, Damascus said:

I don't know what your budget is but I would just get a 1.1tb ssd and an 8700k.  You also need cpu cooling

PCPartPicker part list: https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/wrbm8Y

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor  (€314.84 @ Mindfactory) 
Motherboard: ASRock - Z370 Extreme4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  (€153.94 @ Mindfactory) 
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (€184.84 @ Mindfactory) 
Storage: Crucial - MX300 1.1TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  (€242.40 @ Mindfactory) 
Case: Phanteks - ECLIPSE P400S TEMPERED GLASS ATX Mid Tower Case  (€89.90 @ Caseking) 
Total: €985.92

https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/TRfXHh

I would do it like this then. I already have a good PSU and a good fan and as a GPU I would use the EVGA 1080 SC Gaming. What do you think about that?

3 minutes ago, DerBobby said:

I would do it like this then. I already have a good PSU and a good fan and as a GPU I would use the EVGA 1080 SC Gaming. What do you think about that?

in your case i wouldnt buy a GPU at this moment in time considering GTC is on monday and we still dont know whats happening... HODL ! 

15 hours ago, DerBobby said:

https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/6t4ccY

What do you think about that part list?

As a gpu I would get the EVGA 1080 SC Gaming

Well that's going pretty unnecessarily high end with the CPU

I'd personally build like a skylake or kabylake system right now.

Anything between a 6700k to a 7700k.

Coffeelake is just so overkill for gaming.

Also, you forgot to add a CPU cooler.

That chip doesn't come with a stock one so you definitely need to get an aftermarket one.

The M.2 drive will disable some of your sata ports. Just keep that in mind.

I'd do a little research on that mobo to find out exactly which. An M.2 drive would disable one of the PCIe lanes for me for example so I'd want to know if there's anything more that yours would disable.

This information will be in the user manual which you can find online if you google for it.

Just get one of those SSD's. You don't need both. I'd only get two if I was planning on dual booting with two operating systems and wanted to keep them separate. If I wanted more SSD storage, I'd just buy a bigger drive instead of two.

Instead get a higher capacity hard drive to go with it than just a 1tb one.

Go for like 2 or 3tb.

That's what I'd do anyways.

And yea... I'd wait on buying a GPU right now unless you've got the money and just don't care.

3 hours ago, DerBobby said:

Yeah, looks good though why not go all ssd?

36 minutes ago, stateofpsychosis said:

Well that's going pretty unnecessarily high end with the CPU

I'd personally build like a skylake or kabylake system right now.

Anything between a 6700k to a 7700k.

Coffeelake is just so overkill for gaming.

elaborate

Also, you forgot to add a CPU cooler.

That chip doesn't come with a stock one so you definitely need to get an aftermarket one.

he said already that he has one. read the whole thread.

The M.2 drive will disable some of your sata ports. Just keep that in mind.

I'd do a little research on that mobo to find out exactly which. An M.2 drive would disable one of the PCIe lanes for me for example so I'd want to know if there's anything more that yours would disable.

This information will be in the user manual which you can find online if you google for it.

true, most often Sata_1 + Sata_2(if nvme) depending on which M.2slot is used.

And yea... I'd wait on buying a GPU right now unless you've got the money and just don't care.

agree, but if you have nothing you have to buy a GPU if you want to play.

Just get one of those SSD's. You don't need both. I'd only get two if I was planning on dual booting with two operating systems and wanted to keep them separate. If I wanted more SSD storage, I'd just buy a bigger drive instead of two.

Instead get a higher capacity hard drive to go with it than just a 1tb one.

Go for like 2 or 3tb.

That's what I'd do anyways.

disagree, perfect storage setup for me looks like 1x 500GB NVME SSD + 2x500GB Sata SSDs in raid.

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x3D | MoBo: MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | RAM: G.Skill F4-3600C15D-16GTZ @3800CL16 | GPU: RTX 2080Ti | PSU: Corsair HX1200 | 

Case: Lian Li 011D XL | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB, Crucial MX500 500GB | Soundcard: Soundblaster ZXR | Mouse: Razer Viper Mini | Keyboard: Razer Huntsman TE Monitor: DELL AW2521H @360Hz |

44 minutes ago, Damascus said:

Yeah, looks good though why not go all ssd?

I basically just want the hdd to store all of my Pictures and videos I won't really run anything from it. I'll use the ssd's for that.

13 minutes ago, DerBobby said:

I basically just want the hdd to store all of my Pictures and videos I won't really run anything from it. I'll use the ssd's for that.

Sure, in that case you could get a 1.1tb ssd + 2tb hdd for a similar price as your current combo

On 21/3/2018 at 2:56 PM, DerBobby said:

Hey guys,

what is better for a gaming PC? An Intel CPU or a Ryzen CPU? And do you also know a good motherboard for the CPU that you would recommend?

Ryzen CPU (APU to be precise if you are on a tight budget) if in a tight budget

Intel CPU if you want Robust ecosystem

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Mention me if you want to summon me sooner or later

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

Note 10, S10, Samsung becomes Apple, Zen 2, 3700X, Renegade X lol

20 minutes ago, DerBobby said:

Just keep in mind that an SSD is only going to improve load times for your games not the actual gaming performance so if you don't want to waste money, use the hard drive for your games. I just put a couple of games that take forever to load or I play often on my SSD and the rest on the hard drive. 

@Damascus my VRMs are not on fire or anything, but I do have to admit that the VRMs suck dick. Couldn't handle 3.9 at 1.3125 and I had to feed it more juice at the vid just to get 1.33125v on the VDD and even then I was having Vdroop but it was somewhat stable. I need to find myself a better am4 micro atx board (fuck the tuf b350m though cause asus is overpriced mediocre ass).

Rig Specs:

Ryzen 7 1700 3.9ghz @1.33125v Cinebench Scores Best:1750cb Average: 1735cb

Asrock X370 SLI/AC  SOLD

Evga GTX 560 Ti 1gb    Just got a EVGA GTX 780 HydroCopper

G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x8gb 2400mhz oc’d to 2666mhz (bought when ram was still cheap :()  

Corsair RM850

Enthoo Pro M Acrylic Changing to a Inwin 301 soon

Custom CPU Loop (watercooling is boring to me right now so I want to go back to air cooling and do like one more WC Loop in a Inwin 301)

Intel 256gb SSD

Kingston 240gb SSD

HyperX 90gb SSD

Not So Shitbox v3 Specs:

I7 2600k oc'd to 4.7 @ 1.4ish (will do more when I get a better cooler) 

MSI P67-GD55  Sold to fund my gpu

Gigabyte Windforce HD 6950

Team Elite Plus 8gb DDR3 (1 stick) @ 1600mhz

Thermaltake Toughpower 750 watt

Cooler Master T4

Enthoo Luxe 

Kingston 120gb SSD

WD Black 1tb HDD

Laptop:

Asus GL552VW-DH71

i7 6700HQ

2x8gb DDR4 

1tb hard drive

GTX 960m

15in IPS 1080p display

8 hours ago, This kid builds pc said:

@Damascus my VRMs are not on fire or anything, but I do have to admit that the VRMs suck dick. Couldn't handle 3.9 at 1.3125 and I had to feed it more juice at the vid just to get 1.33125v on the VDD and even then I was having Vdroop but it was somewhat stable. I need to find myself a better am4 micro atx board (fuck the tuf b350m though cause asus is overpriced mediocre ass).

That's actually why I quit on ryzen in the first place there are only like 3 good mobos and 2 of those are high-end ATX-EATX boards.  There aren't any good options for mATX

Ryzen is great for a multi threaded system and solid for gaming. I chose the 1600 over the 7700k so I could get an GTX 1080 Ti. When I got my Ryzen 1600, Intel still had not released coffee lake, and when it did all you could get where the Z boards. Intel jumped in hard to try and get back in the game as AMD was legit challenging them now. 

Right now I would get an 8400 or I7 8700k if this is solely for gaming.  The 8400 offers a better overall value than the 8600 or 8600k. The 8700k is faster and has even more threads. Of course it depends on budget. 

| Ryzen R9 3900x Enermax LIQTECH II 360  | Asus ROG Crosshair VI Hero| Nivida FE RTX 2080 Ti | Corsair Vengeance 16gb @3200MHZ | Crucial 500 GB SSD | 1TB WD Blue SSD| Corsair HX 750w  Platinum+ |Corsair Carbide Spec-Omega| Gigabyte Arous 27QD 1440p 144hz