Storage Project

Hello all, my current NAS (for family files) is lacking quite a bit. It currently is just 2 WD Green 3TB drives in a raid one. It has been filling up for a while and I keep deleting old stuff that they don't need or compressing other stuff.  I have finally reached a point where I need to upgrade or soon they will not be able to keep adding data. 

I am looking to put in a total of 10 TB usable with the ability to lose 2 drives without data loss. I can't seem to come up with the best solution. I don't have a budget per say though, I will pay what I need to but I am hoping to get by cheap as possible.

My current hardware is a EVGA PSU, Rosewill RSV4500 case with option for 15 drives, 120 GB x2 for boot drives, Asus Z77 MOBO and a Intel i7 3770

How would you go about upgrading provided the information above?

My current idea is just add a RAID card and put in 4x 6tb drives with a 250 GB SSD for cache. I intend to use Ubuntu Linux for this idea/upgrade path. Suggestions welcomed.

1 minute ago, KirbyTech said:

-sniiiiiip-

How would you go about upgrading provided the information above?

My current idea is just add a RAID card and put in 4x 6tb drives with a 250 GB SSD for cache. I intend to use Ubuntu Linux for this idea/upgrade path. Suggestions welcomed.

That should work just fine AFAIK

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

I don't see a point in a raid card, software raid will work better for this use, and if you need more drives id use a hba.

For raid, id personally use zfs here, stable, good raid support, good at protecting data, included in ubuntu repos.

For drives id personally get those easy store drives from best buy, about 170 usd for a wd red(or white labed drive). Just saying 15% of ebay today, and you can get them there.

Cache doesn't help too much here, esp with only a gig network.