Monitor gives No Signal after installing the Nvidia game ready 391.24 driver!

Go to solution Solved by TheGlenlivet,
1 minute ago, Timmy the powerful said:

Are those really the only option when I do not have a different GPU? 

Yup.  Without the display driver you are stuck.  If you have another computer then the windows USB will get you back to bios, if not, try swapping PCI lanes.  If that doesn't work then you need to borrow a card, or go buy the cheapest one you can find.  Like this -

https://www.amazon.com/MSI-PCI-Express-710-1GD3H-LPV1/dp/B01DOFD3RY/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1521565849&sr=1-2&keywords=gpu&refinements=p_36%3A1253504011

Hi!
Today I updated the Nvidia game ready drivers that came out (391.24). I downloaded it and installed but after the express installation my monitor went to "no signal". I let it sit like a minute or two but when it didn't show any sign of coming back up I decided to force shut down the PC and turn it on again. The monitor received signal on the BIOS start up screen but when it started to boot into windows it lost signal. After that I went to the BIOS to see if the GPU is even detected. Thankfully it was so it must be in the latest Nvidia driver. I should also mention that I have already tried a different monitor and I have also tried using the HDMI port on the mobo instead of the one on the GPU.
This PC is built by me and is quite new (built october 2017). It has not crashed once and I have had 0 problems with it until now.
Specs:
GPU: MSI armor GTX 1060 6Gb
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 (using stock cooler)
Mobo: MSI Tomahawk B350
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x4Gb  DDR4 3600MhZ (Running on 2166MhZ)
PSU: Corsair RM750X
Storage: 1TB WD Blue 7200rpm HDD and Samsung 850 evo 250Gb

The only way I can think of to fix this would be to uninstall your GPU drivers, but going by your rig that's gonna be difficult. Do you have a spare GPU lying around?

-Moved to Troubleshooting-

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Thanks for the quick reply! 

No, I do not have a spare GPU lying around. 

Why is it going to be difficult? Do you mean that I can't see my display? 

5 minutes ago, Timmy the powerful said:

Hi!
Today I updated the Nvidia game ready drivers that came out (391.24). I downloaded it and installed but after the express installation my monitor went to "no signal". I let it sit like a minute or two but when it didn't show any sign of coming back up I decided to force shut down the PC and turn it on again. The monitor received signal on the BIOS start up screen but when it started to boot into windows it lost signal. After that I went to the BIOS to see if the GPU is even detected. Thankfully it was so it must be in the latest Nvidia driver. I should also mention that I have already tried a different monitor and I have also tried using the HDMI port on the mobo instead of the one on the GPU.
This PC is built by me and is quite new (built october 2017). It has not crashed once and I have had 0 problems with it until now.
Specs:
GPU: MSI armor GTX 1060 6Gb
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 (using stock cooler)
Mobo: MSI Tomahawk B350
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x4Gb  DDR4 3600MhZ (Running on 2166MhZ)
PSU: Corsair RM750X
Storage: 1TB WD Blue 7200rpm HDD and Samsung 850 evo 250Gb

That Ryzen chip doesn't have integrated, onboard graphics so your mobo HDMI won't work.

Your best bet is to create a windows USB stick using the media creation tool off the Microsoft website and then entering your bios and booting from that USB stick.

You may be able to use a restore point from there.

If not, reinstall windows.

Just now, Timmy the powerful said:

Thanks for the quick reply! 

No, I do not have a spare GPU lying around. 

Why is it going to be difficult? Do you mean that I can't see my display? 

Yes, the Ryzen CPU has no integrated GPU, and with your regular GPU out of commission you are kinda stuck without another GPU to get the monitor back up.  Can you move the GPU to another PCI lane and see if it works?

1 minute ago, TheGlenlivet said:

Yes, the Ryzen CPU has no integrated GPU, and with your regular GPU out of commission you are kinda stuck without another GPU to get the monitor back up.  Can you move the GPU to another PCI lane and see if it works?

If he uses the windows USB stick to boot from, it won't load the GPU driver that's causing issues ;)

At least in my experience that works for these types of issues :)  

2 minutes ago, stateofpsychosis said:

That Ryzen chip doesn't have integrated, onboard graphics so your mobo HDMI won't work.

Your best bet is to create a windows USB stick using the media creation tool off the Microsoft website and then entering your bios and booting from that USB stick.

You may be able to use a restore point from there.

If not, reinstall windows.

Using a restore point isn't actually bad at all.

It'll send you back to before you installed that problematic driver without harming your data ;)

If it works that is.

2 minutes ago, TheGlenlivet said:

What if I had a different GPU? For example I took it to some workshop and they tried a different one. Would that work? 

What if I had a different GPU? For example I took it to some workshop and they tried a different one. Would that work? 

Yea, but it doesn't really seem necessary.

If you can boot from the USB stick and use a restore point, it's really the same step you would have taken if you put another GPU in there.

Uninstalling the problematic driver.

Windows creates restore points before major changes like that automatically anyways so there should be a recent one to go back to.

Yup.  Without the display driver you are stuck.  If you have another computer then the windows USB will get you back to bios, if not, try swapping PCI lanes.  If that doesn't work then you need to borrow a card, or go buy the cheapest one you can find.  Like this -

https://www.amazon.com/MSI-PCI-Express-710-1GD3H-LPV1/dp/B01DOFD3RY/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1521565849&sr=1-2&keywords=gpu&refinements=p_36%3A1253504011

1 minute ago, stateofpsychosis said:

Yea, but it doesn't really seem necessary.

If you can boot from the USB stick and use a restore point, it's really the same step you would have taken if you put another GPU in there.

Uninstalling the problematic driver.

Windows creates restore points before major changes like that automatically anyways so there should be a recent one to go back to.

Okay, I am going to try a different PCI-E lane and if that doesb't work then I am going to try that USB method

Okay, I am going to try a different PCI-E lane and if that doesb't work then I am going to try that USB method

Good plan. Let us know how it goes ;)

Okay! So!!!! It freaking booted when I changed the PCI-E lanes!!!!! Thank god. My heart is pumpimg from adrenaline and joy. But now. The joy aside what do I do now

Okay! So!!!! It freaking booted when I changed the PCI-E lanes!!!!! Thank god. My heart is pumpimg from adrenaline and joy. But now. The joy aside what do I do now

Uninstall the driver you just updated.  Get DDU http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html  then try and reinstall it, or go back to the prior one you had before that was working.  Your choice there.

Wait guys. My resolution just changed while the computer was running. It seems like the drivers installed themselves but why? Please don't tell me that it was all my fault. Maybe It was installing the drivers when it was on no signal. And I closed it and messed something up! 

3 minutes ago, TheGlenlivet said:

Uninstall the driver you just updated.  Get DDU http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html  then try and reinstall it, or go back to the prior one you had before that was working.  Your choice there.

Okay! So now that this is fixed can I change my PCI-E lane back because I have heard that the first lane is the best

run DDU.
click restart to safe mode,

remove drivers and restart,

Load Windows normally,

Download and install the last GPU driver that worked for you.

Skip the driver that caused the problem and call it a day.

It's not a race to the bottom.

Thank you to every single person who helped me! You literally saved my life. The Geforce forum has still not responded to my problem after 2h but I don't need their help anymore. I really owe you guys one! @Being Delirious @stateofpsychosis @TheGlenlivet @0x1e @Crunchy Dragon Thanks again! I would have never figured out what to do on my own. There were no other posts on the internet that I could find regarding this problem so maybe it will help out someone else in the future!

Thank you to every single person who helped me! You literally saved my life. The Geforce forum has still not responded to my problem after 2h but I don't need their help anymore. I really owe you guys one! @Being Delirious @stateofpsychosis @TheGlenlivet @0x1e @Crunchy Dragon Thanks again! I would have never figured out what to do on my own. There were no other posts on the internet that I could find regarding this problem so maybe it will help out someone else in the future!

Cool. Don't forget to mark the post as solved and mention what actually solved it so anyone else looking at this with the same problem can find the solution ;)