Looking for router suggestions

No Items

Hey, 

I have a new gigagblast connection that is rated at 1100mbps getting about 900 Mbps out of modem directly to my comp. Current router is cutting it down to 400Mbps. I have a nightawk r8000. Can any one suggest which router I should get next? I want to replace my router since its over 4 years old. if any one is wonder about the modem i have a arris  cm8200a.

You cant get over ~900mbps to a computer with consumer grade hardware.

You need a 10GigE router to get over that.

Those are EXTREMELY expensive.

This will do over 1gbit to the service provider, but you will only get ~900 to each client because the client ports are standard 1gbit.

https://www.pcgamer.com/netgears-blazing-fast-nighthawk-x10-router-includes-a-10gb-port-for-fiber/

3 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

You cant get over ~900mbps to a computer with consumer grade hardware.

You need a 10GigE router to get over that.

Those are EXTREMELY expensive.

Would something like this work?

https://express.google.com/u/0/product/7315067829527725303_9843106316778876307_6136318?mall=Chicago&directCheckout=1&utm_source=google_shopping&utm_medium=product_ads&utm_campaign=gsx&dclid=CNTdyazP-dkCFZV-YgodMbsJ1A

I also don't need the router for wifi features just want it to get the ip's for my devices. I have plume pods in my house.

9 minutes ago, Phaytuh said:

This is your router? 

https://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/wifi-routers/R8000.aspx

If so, it doesn't make sense that it's cutting the speed that much. Are you talking about a wired or wireless connection between your router and computer?

Yea this is my router.  All my cables are cat 6 and they are pretty new. I tried to reset my router couple times because before that i was limited to 100Mbps. 

No.

That 5gbit speed is aggregated.  IE, 3-4 1.2 gbit WiFi channels.  This just means that you can have more WiFi devices attached before you start reducing WiFi bandwidth.

They claim this because WiFi bandwidth divides by the number of connected WiFi clients.  4 clients on a gigabit WiFi link means only 250mbit to each device.

5334mbit means that you can have 5 WiFi devices before any drop below 1gbit bandwidth.  Each device would need to be on one of the four access points provided.

2 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

No.

That 5gbit speed is aggregated.  IE, 3-4 1.2 gbit WiFi channels.  This just means that you can have more WiFi devices attached before you start reducing WiFi bandwidth.

They claim this because WiFi bandwidth divides by the number of connected WiFi clients.  4 clients on a gigabit WiFi link means only 250mbit to each device.

The one you suggested is the R9000 newest version of mine?

1 minute ago, No Items said:

The one you suggested is the R9000 newest version of mine?

Pretty much.  You will still not speed test at over 900, you would need to run two speed tests fron different devices to check actual throughput.

Pretty much.  You will still not speed test at over 900, you would need to run two speed tests fron different devices to check actual throughput.

I think ill buy the r9000. I found it for 390 on amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Nighthawk-X10-Quad-Stream-Compatible/dp/B01M12RE4A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1521505504&sr=8-1&keywords=nighthawk+x10

8 minutes ago, No Items said:

Just going to point this out. Gigabit over wireless is a hard thing to do. You can defiantly get it over a wired connection, but dont think because you buy a $400 router that it will give 1 Gbps on wireless. Also, most laptops top out at like 868 Mbps on 5 Ghz, which in the real world would be much less, not to mention phones and tablets. If you want the Gigabit speeds on the device, I suggest investing in some Ethernet cables. Also https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/ is a great place to look if you looking at throughput on routers and other stats. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

4 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Just going to point this out. Gigabit over wireless is a hard thing to do. You can defiantly get it over a wired connection, but dont think because you buy a $400 router that it will give 1 Gbps on wireless. Also, most laptops top out at like 868 Mbps on 5 Ghz, which in the real world would be much less, not to mention phones and tablets. If you want the Gigabit speeds on the device, I suggest investing in some Ethernet cables. Also https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/ is a great place to look if you looking at throughput on routers and other stats. 

For the high speeds I use wired I have 2 pc's and ps4 wired. Ps4 and 2 plume pods are connected through a switch. Anything on wifi don't really care how fast. Only things on wifi that might get near 200Mbps are my smart tv's and streaming devices like roku or blu ray which is fine for me.

10 minutes ago, No Items said:

For the high speeds I use wired I have 2 pc's and ps4 wired. Ps4 and 2 plume pods are connected through a switch. Anything on wifi don't really care how fast. Only things on wifi that might get near 200Mbps are my smart tv's and streaming devices like roku or blu ray which is fine for me.

I have a Synology RT2600 AC and it seems to work good. Maybe you should look in to something a little more prosumer/small business like Ubiquti. 

12 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

I have a Synology RT2600 AC and it seems to work good. Maybe you should look in to something a little more prosumer/small business like Ubiquti. 

So you recommend this over the r9000? I just watched a review seems good but i don't know much about networking.

7 minutes ago, No Items said:

So you recommend this over the r9000? I just watched a review seems good but i don't know much about networking.

If your talking about the 802.11AD router, then yes. AD is a fucking joke. 60 Ghz will NOT pass thru anything, hell even Linus had issues having pass thru card board during his tests. Plus I only recommend items that I have purchased myself. I found the Synlolgy router easy to use and it works well. Though I do also see a lot of Ubiquti stuff suggested and building of PFsense boxes. So really what it comes down to with WiFi, what are you trying to accomplish? What kind of streaming are you doing? SD, HD, UHD? What other service are you using? Pandora, Steam and etc. Then you buy what suits those needs. Also you need to consider how many devices and how many are going to be active. While I have a lot of devices, not all of them are active, or using the internet heavily. Many consumer grade routers are not built for multiple heavy power users. Then you have to consider your environment. How WiFi friendly is it? 

My thing is, I dont see the point of Triple and Quad band WiFi routers, it just dumb marketing gimmick if you ask me. If you really have a lot of devices to connect to a network, then find a good Wireless Access Point that can handle that type of traffic. The fact is you need to find a router that can handle Gigabit internet, so that you get full speeds wired. As far as WiFi goes, a decent AC access point should be good. With my router we have a roku stick, 2 fire sticks, 2 smart TV's, a desktop, 3 or more phones, a kindle, a Chromebook and some times 2 Windows laptops on Wireless, they all do fine. On wired I got my computer. I be streaming Youtube and my dad be streaming PS Vue with out any issue. I was doing fine with my old DIR 835 from DLink as well, with the same traffic, I only replaced it due to the security issues with WPA that came out last year, my router never got a update. 

10 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

If your talking about the 802.11AD router, then yes. AD is a fucking joke. 60 Ghz will NOT pass thru anything, hell even Linus had issues having pass thru card board during his tests. Plus I only recommend items that I have purchased myself. I found the Synlolgy router easy to use and it works well. Though I do also see a lot of Ubiquti stuff suggested and building of PFsense boxes. So really what it comes down to with WiFi, what are you trying to accomplish? What kind of streaming are you doing? SD, HD, UHD? What other service are you using? Pandora, Steam and etc. Then you buy what suits those needs. Also you need to consider how many devices and how many are going to be active. While I have a lot of devices, not all of them are active, or using the internet heavily. Many consumer grade routers are not built for multiple heavy power users. Then you have to consider your environment. How WiFi friendly is it? 

My thing is, I dont see the point of Triple and Quad band WiFi routers, it just dumb marketing gimmick if you ask me. If you really have a lot of devices to connect to a network, then find a good Wireless Access Point that can handle that type of traffic. The fact is you need to find a router that can handle Gigabit internet, so that you get full speeds wired. As far as WiFi goes, a decent AC access point should be good. With my router we have a roku stick, 2 fire sticks, 2 smart TV's, a desktop, 3 or more phones, a kindle, a Chromebook and some times 2 Windows laptops on Wireless, they all do fine. On wired I got my computer. I be streaming Youtube and my dad be streaming PS Vue with out any issue. I was doing fine with my old DIR 835 from DLink as well, with the same traffic, I only replaced it due to the security issues with WPA that came out last year, my router never got a update. 

The WiFi is unimportant, they need greater than GbE uplink speed.  Their service is faster than what GbE can handle(1100mbit).

The WiFi is unimportant, they need greater than GbE uplink speed.  Their service is faster than what GbE can handle(1100mbit).

Anything over a gigabit will be enterprise gear. Consumer grade stuff is not setup for over 1 Gbps. You might need to look at building a PFsense box. 

3 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Anything over a gigabit will be enterprise gear. Consumer grade stuff is not setup for over 1 Gbps. You might need to look at building a PFsense box. 

The R9000 has a 10GbE uplink.  Its designed for FTTP installs.

It may take some tweaking to get working, but it should be possible to use for a setup like that.

1 minute ago, KarathKasun said:

The R9000 has a 10GbE uplink.  Its designed for FTTP installs.

Good to know. I know only one ISP in the US that has faster than 1 Gbps to residential customers, which is Comcast with their Gigabit pro 2 Gbps Fiber service. Id still look in to PFsense as It might be cheaper. Especially if you have older PC hardware laying around. Other wise I guess you stuck with the R9000. Because I highly doubt your going to find many more consumer routers with 10 Gbps support. 

Just now, Donut417 said:

Good to know. I know only one ISP in the US that has faster than 1 Gbps to residential customers, which is Comcast with their Gigabit pro 2 Gbps Fiber service. Id still look in to PFsense as It might be cheaper. Especially if you have older PC hardware laying around. Other wise I guess you stuck with the R9000. Because I highly doubt your going to find many more consumer routers with 10 Gbps support. 

Yep, PFSense would be the best solution.