Server build or recommendation

So I'm looking to make a server or buy one. Rackmount preferably and preferably expandability, needs to be able to run HD video and other high speed needs. I've been looking at options like netgear but I'm not sure how functional the OS and software is. So if I have to build one I also need recommendations on OS (I've thought of using a Linux OS with a vm running freenas but I heard that won't work). I'd be glad to awnser any additional questions that would help. Thanks!

What's the use case for this? Home use?

Have you looked at used servers on ebay? They'll be your best option price wise for a rackmount server, new rackmount chassis go for more than used servers.

Don't look for anything too high spec just look for a good base platform that has the CPU generation you want and the HDD bays you need, 2.5" or 3.5". Then just buy the CPUs you want if it doesn't come with what you require and then ram and HDDs.

5 minutes ago, leadeater said:

What's the use case for this? Home use?

Have you looked at used servers on ebay? They'll be your best option price wise for a rackmount server, new rackmount chassis go for more than used servers.

Don't look for anything too high spec just look for a good base platform that has the CPU generation you want and the HDD bays you need, 2.5" or 3.5". Then just buy the CPUs you want if it doesn't come with what you require and then ram and HDDs.

Mostly home use for media. Any recommendations on hardware that I should look for?

How much storage?

How much do you like tinkering?

budget in mind?

Premade nas boxes are great for plug n play. systems like a dell c2100, r510, r720, dl 180g6 and others are fast for the money, but are loud and can be power hungry. Home built boxes are great for lower power and low noise often.

I don't see a reason to run a freenas vm in linux, just run zfs on the host and make a share.

9 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

How much storage?

How much do you like tinkering?

budget in mind?

Premade nas boxes are great for plug n play. systems like a dell c2100, r510, r720, dl 180g6 and others are fast for the money, but are loud and can be power hungry. Home built boxes are great for lower power and low noise often.

I don't see a reason to run a freenas vm in linux, just run zfs on the host and make a share.

Not too much just a few TB (at most 15 or so) I'm just sharing some assets (anywhere from 1 gig to 50+ gigs) on my network. I like tinkering but I need it to work when I need it. I really want to only spend about $500 USD but that can flex a bit. I don't really mind using a premade as long as it has some expandability (maybe a 10 Gig card in the future when I get around to upgrading my network) Sound and heat are a bit of a concern for my living conditions. Not sure what you mean by "just run zfs on the host" Not too familiar with Freenas other than the very basic functionality.

3 minutes ago, Drew Learns Tech said:

Not too much just a few TB (at most 15 or so) I'm just sharing some assets (anywhere from 1 gig to 50+ gigs) on my network. I like tinkering but I need it to work when I need it. I really want to only spend about $500 USD but that can flex a bit. I don't really mind using a premade as long as it has some expandability (maybe a 10 Gig card in the future when I get around to upgrading my network) Sound and heat are a bit of a concern for my living conditions. Not sure what you mean by "just run zfs on the host" Not too familiar with Freenas other than the very basic functionality.

id probably just get a basica rackmount nas then. You don't seem to want to tinker too much.

https://www.amazon.com/Synology-4bay-RackStation-RS816-Diskless/dp/B01K1JSKC4/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1521268487&sr=1-1&keywords=synology+rack&dpID=31j2MKqatyL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

this is a bit over 500 and you can add bays, but no 10gbe.

If you want to tinker, id get something like this(random pick that looked fine on ebay, no affiliation)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Server-Power-Edge-R510-Intel-Xeon-E5620-Quad-Core-2-4GHz-16GB-RAM/282807069199?epid=686638553&hash=item41d89d6a0f:g:OjAAAOSw38BaWP64

Get a h200 hba, and some more trays. Then id run proxmox on it personally, but unraid and frenas will work fine.

6 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

For another $100 you can get a QNAP option with inbuilt dual 10Gb, but we're getting a fair amount beyond the indicated price at that point though.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=TS-431XU

34 minutes ago, leadeater said:

For another $100 you can get a QNAP option with inbuilt dual 10Gb, but we're getting a fair amount beyond the indicated price at that point though.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=TS-431XU

That's still in the negotiable range if I get 10 gig built in (I'd have to buy it sometime anyway). Also would that have enough power for 1080p or more video streaming? (that's the baseline I'm using right now). Is it just like any other pre-built computer (if so how is their OS and software) or can I easily change the OS and add my own? Sorry if these are stupid questions just want to know what to expect.

3 minutes ago, Drew Learns Tech said:

That's still in the negotiable range if I get 10 gig built in (I'd have to buy it sometime anyway). Is it just like any other pre-built computer (if so how is their OS and software) or can I easily change the OS and add my own? Sorry if these are stupid questions just want to know what to expect.

For QNAP and Synology you have to use the OS/Software they come with but both are excellent. You can get an overview of the features on their websites.

I will say though for these lower end models you won't be able to run any heavy use VMs as they lack the CPU power to do so.

You can also build your own NAS and use XPEnology which is the Synology software, though nice and easy to use has the same limitations with customization as a real Synology NAS. Depends how much tinkering you want to do on the OS/software side of things or not.