Monitor FLASHES when i stand up from my chair

-TesseracT-

just joined to add that I am experiencing the same. Monitor Asus PG348. Since I got my new Secretlab Omega chair, I'm experiencing these monitor flickers when I roll back my chair to stand up...   

• 6 months later...

Sorry that I have to grave dig in this thread. But the issue is so exotic that its hard to actually find any suggestions. I have ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q monitor, which was perfectly fine until I got Secret Labs Titan chair few months ago. And yes it flickers almost every time I roll towards or away from my table, but only if I tilt back or tilt up on the chair. Im going mad trying to find out whats up with that. I checked all connections and wires. My monitor plugged in APC UPS, i tried different outlets in there as well as other grounded wall outlets. Chair is standing and rolling on hardwood flooring. No other wires in proximity of 1m to chair. Screen flashes even if my whole body on the chair and Im not touching floor or table. Seems like the problem focused in chair's tilt, but I have no idea how or how to prevent it. I really like this chair...

• 1 month later...
On 10/7/2019 at 4:44 AM, AlexArchy said:

Sorry that I have to grave dig in this thread. But the issue is so exotic that its hard to actually find any suggestions. I have ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q monitor, which was perfectly fine until I got Secret Labs Titan chair few months ago. And yes it flickers almost every time I roll towards or away from my table, but only if I tilt back or tilt up on the chair. Im going mad trying to find out whats up with that. I checked all connections and wires. My monitor plugged in APC UPS, i tried different outlets in there as well as other grounded wall outlets. Chair is standing and rolling on hardwood flooring. No other wires in proximity of 1m to chair. Screen flashes even if my whole body on the chair and Im not touching floor or table. Seems like the problem focused in chair's tilt, but I have no idea how or how to prevent it. I really like this chair...

Same monitor, same chair, same problem :O . 

For me, it happens only when I move away from my PC, so at first I thought that it is due to some very advanced cryptominer virus on my PC, that somehow got hold of my webcam feed and detects when I'm away so it can hog on my resources. My paranoia was only amplified when I noticed that it corresponds with bursts of Ethernet activity...

But I'm actually glad that I found our that it's only electrostatic issue :D . Phew!

My 5000€ dream machine
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/qzFFLD

• 3 weeks later...

Chair: Secret Lab Titan Omega (Softweave)

Display: Asus ROG PG279

Possible solutions:

I wiped the seat and lower back portion of the chair with dryer sheets. This actually solved the issue temporarily. Anti static farbric spray could also be a decent short term solution but I did not try it.

What ended up fixing the issue for me was simply changing out the display port cable. I was using the one that came with the Asus display. I switched to the extra one that came with a Dell monitor from work. The problem cable is marked Amphenol E326508, the cable without issue is marked Hotron E246588.

This worked like a charm even with large static shocks. Not advisable but heck, I rolled up right next to my tower. Built up a crap ton of static with my butt. Stood up and even got a painful shock on my finger as my hand left the arm rest. No flickers. Even shocked my monitor with my finger at one point. Switching back to the original display port cable brought back the issue so I think this is fixed for now.

I will report back if I have any updates. Good luck everyone and Happy Holidays.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/14/2019 at 10:37 PM, Drktwr said:

Chair: Secret Lab Titan Omega (Softweave)

Display: Asus ROG PG279

Possible solutions:

I wiped the seat and lower back portion of the chair with dryer sheets. This actually solved the issue temporarily. Anti static farbric spray could also be a decent short term solution but I did not try it.

What ended up fixing the issue for me was simply changing out the display port cable. I was using the one that came with the Asus display. I switched to the extra one that came with a Dell monitor from work. The problem cable is marked Amphenol E326508, the cable without issue is marked Hotron E246588.

This worked like a charm even with large static shocks. Not advisable but heck, I rolled up right next to my tower. Built up a crap ton of static with my butt. Stood up and even got a painful shock on my finger as my hand left the arm rest. No flickers. Even shocked my monitor with my finger at one point. Switching back to the original display port cable brought back the issue so I think this is fixed for now.

I will report back if I have any updates. Good luck everyone and Happy Holidays.

Well I'll be damned! I also replaced the cable that came with the monitor with Cable Matters DisplayPort to DisplayPort 1.4 Cable, and I'm also happy to report that issue disappeared!  Thank you for this post Drktwr 

My 5000€ dream machine
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/qzFFLD

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/26/2019 at 10:28 PM, Durvann said:

I have the same monitor (XB271HU) and it never flickered but the moment I got this fabric Secret Labs Titan chair my monitor started doing the exact same thing maybe 15 to 20% of the time when i stand up or sit down... I wonder if an anti-static bracelet could prevent this just for testing purposes..Also maybe a Ferrite core on the monitor cable would help.

I had this EXACT same issue and I also have the fabric Secret Labs Titan chair!  I can tell you what the fix is.  It was mentioned in this thread.  You probably have your monitor plugged into a surge protector strip.  Unplug it from there and plug it "directly" into a grounded wall outlet.  The minute I did this, the flickering went away.  I can move my chair all around, stand up...etc.  No more flickering.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I'm having a similar issue in my current office. Whenever my colleague gets up from his chair, my monitor goes blank or displays artefacts for a split second. I got to the root of the problem and this is actually a quite fascinating story.

So basically modern office chairs have a gas cylinders in them. If you sit on them the gas inside is compressed, this gives you this nice "cushion" feeling. When you get up quickly you can cause a ESD (electrostatic discharge) which is amplified within the chair. If you have a metal cylinder in the chair with metal legs then the legs act as an antenna which will then send a pulse across the room. It is powerful enough to induce current in nearby cables causing our monitor to flicker for example. Sometimes a person needs to be statically charged and then get up form the chair to send this pulse. Also humidity plays a role, the lower the better chance to generate this.

The possible solutions:

- get a better shielded screen cable,

- put an insulator between your chair cylinder and metal legs, so that the legs won't act as an antenna,

- change you chair legs to plastic ones.

It's also a bad idea to have that kind of chair if you're working with sensitive equipment, things can go wrong!

Here's the science stuff:

http://www.emcesd.com/pdf/eos93.pdf

• 1 month later...

Had the same problem,, 100% fixed it by spraying down my chair and rug with static guard from the grocery store.

my static problem was bad,,  if i held the bottom of my chair when i stood up,,, id get shocked.

• 2 months later...

But the flashing came back... ended up getting a better displayport cable.

Display: ZOWIE XL2546

Chair: Secretlab Titan Cookies and Cream

House build year: Same as OP..

Those last two may have just been a coincidence but wow this is definitely an interesting issue.

Definitely thought someone was spying on me at first xD 

I will try plugging my power cable directly into the socket as suggested and then get a better shielded display cable if that doesn't work.

• 6 months later...

Display:  2x S2417DG

Chair:  Secretlab Titan Cookies and Cream

Room:  Hardwood floors
Desk:  Uplift - Standing Desk
PSU:  APC 1500S

I'm very very thankful I found this "thread" on this topic.  (You see what I did there... its a pun!)

I would NEVER have guess the chair could emit such a powerful field.

Fascinating.   I love my chair, so I will eagerly apply some of the suggestions here.

In my situation, the PC is on the floor under the desk, large, BeQuite Darkbase 900.
The PSU is suspended from the Desk and is closest to the chair.

I can't duplicate the issue by shaking the desk, I've check all connections searching for a problem. 

It literally only occurs when I stand up from my Secretlab chair.

I'll begin experimenting with shielding and new cables after reading this.  Having just ordered a new curved ultrawide monitor... I want this resolved before it arrives!

My co-worker has the leather version of the same chair, (and works from home in another state) but has no issues.

• 5 weeks later...

Had the same issue with a ASUS ROG PG279Q monitor and an IKEA chair (MARKUS).
Seems to have been fixed by replacing the DisplayPort cable. Happy to have found this educational thread 🙂

Hi, 

Same problem here, (secretlab chair + display port). The problem started when I changed my Display port cable for a longer one (because cable management). The original cable that came with the monitor has no issue's. Second monitor which is connected with such cable does not flicker. But what displayport cable do I need? What should I pay attention to? 

I now have this one; https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=&sl=auto&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.onlinekabelshop.nl%2Fdisplayport-displayport-kabel-versie-1-3-5k-2-meter  (translated because original is in Dutch) and it stated in description "double shielding to prevent data loss and malfunctions". but yeah that did not work.

@mattisx What cable did you bought?

• 2 months later...

I have the same issue. I have a legion 5 pro laptop and use the displayport cable that and now used 2 different cables that do displayport to usbc one worked and one didn't but the one that worked did have that blinking everytime i get up. Now i use a converter and the monitor would just go fully off when i get up. this issue is very frustrating. i didnt had any issues with my PC before. I also don't really know who to contact. do i contact acer? or is it maybe lenovos laptop that is the issue?

• 4 months later...

Just for anyone also experiencing this, it seems to be thing in regards to gas lifted chairs.
https://support.displaylink.com/knowledgebase/articles/738618-display-intermittently-blanking-flickering-or-los
http://www.emcesd.com/pdf/eos93.pdf

Update:
I just bought 2 snap on ferrite cores, added one on each end of my DP cable, now the issues is gone 🙂

Surprisingly, we have also seen this issue connected to gas lift office chairs. When people stand or sit on gas lift chairs, they can generate an EMI spike which is picked up on the video cables, causing a loss of sync. If you have users complaining about displays randomly flickering it could actually be connected to people sitting on gas lift chairs. Again swapping video cables, especially for ones with magnetic ferrite ring on the cable, can eliminate this problem. There is even a white paper about this issue.

• 2 months later...

Just got a Secret Lab Titan Evo 2022 and the issue just popped up on my older Acer monitor. Was kinda freakin until i found this thread. Thanks all.

• 2 months later...

I had the same problem i just went back to a HDMI cable instead of the DP cable and it stopped for me so far. I have a Secret labs softweave fabric chair as well

Monitor: acer predator XB271HU

• 2 weeks later...

I have huge dx racer fabric chair and i had same issue when i rolled back to my PC after closing a window in my room.

I have changed my power cable to the monitor and did not route it in the metal monitor stand with the DP cable this time. And for now, i dont see the problem anymore. My new power cable is routed another way, away from DP cable also under the table.

So you might want to try that before you replace DP cable. I have a more power cables laying around that DP cables 🙂

• 1 month later...
On 1/18/2019 at 9:01 PM, ricardo.guntur said:

TL;DR at the bottom. Not trying to revive an old thread but I wanted to put my 2 cents. I was having this problem with the Acer Predator X34P. Monitor blinks off and on when I roll TOWARDS the monitor, usually when I set and pull my self in. It does NOT happen when I stand up or roll back or anything else. I thought it was floor problem and ignored it because I was moving rooms soon. I just moved rooms today and thought my problem was gone until I ROLLED back in and it flickered! I almost lost my mind!

After reading this thread I realized that I've been using a new chair, the Secret Labs Titan Chair. My old chair was a cheap amazon basics office chair. I suspect that the new and more expensive chair has more metals in it than the cheap chair. I am not sitting in my old chair rolling back and forth like a maniac and the monitor is blissfully NOT flickering.

I like the chair so I don't want to get rid of it so I need to find a cable to fix it? If anyone has advice on preventing interference, it would be highly appreciated.

TL;DR - Have same problem only when rolling in chair. Moved rooms, no fix. Remembered I got a new more expensive chair when the problem started. Old cheaper chair doesn't cause problems. Probably metals in the new chair causing interference.

I found this thread when looking for answers because I was having the same exact strange issue! I also have an Asus brand monitor, and whenever anyone in the room would stand up or move near it, the display would flicker and apparently lose connection to my computer, causing my system to hiccup for a second while it tries to do whatever it's doing with displays (very annoying). This happened in multiple rooms where I've had my computer set up, so I know it isn't likely an issue with the room it's in now. This was not an issue with cables or connections, either. I did every troubleshooting test you can imagine, and I could not diagnose the cause.

Well, I recently bought a vesa mount for my desk and connected my Asus monitor to it, removing the default stand the monitor came with. Ever since I made that change, this issue has NOT happened. It has only been a few days now, but so far, it's starting to look like there must be some connection to the old stand this monitor once used. The old stand was mostly plastic and seemed to generate quite a bit of static. I'm wondering if that might have had something to do with it. 

Anyway, just thought I would share these thoughts here in case anyone else was experiencing the same thing. Definitely very odd. 

• 1 year later...

Cant believe im not alone in this hah ! I thought my flat is haunted or my screen has some eco mode ;D

2 minutes ago, sakepl said:

Cant believe im not alone in this hah ! I thought my flat is haunted or my screen has some eco mode ;D

yeah.. .it's so many that have this problem they actually came with a fix...  anti static floor mat

4 minutes ago, Robchil said:

yeah.. .it's so many that have this problem they actually came with a fix...  anti static floor mat

guess what i just removed it now while i was looking for clues. So mine didnt help. My ass generates strong statics 😄 Just ordered antistatic spray. After that if it wont work i just gonna buy new cable.

4 minutes ago, sakepl said:

guess what i just removed it now while i was looking for clues. So mine didnt help. My ass generates strong statics 😄 Just ordered antistatic spray. After that if it wont work i just gonna buy new cable.

on old vga cables sometimes we had to add some metal blocks that degause the cable if the screen was in all weird colors.. 😄

On 3/13/2018 at 2:21 PM, -TesseracT- said:

I've had this problem for I think 2 weeks now? Whenever I stand up from my chair, my monitor flashes for like 0.2 seconds, black, sometimes twice. Im not touching the desk, im not wearing headphones, I have no contact with anything. I have checked the power and video connections to the monitor. They are not loose, and if I pull them from side to side, nothing happens. This never seem to happen when I actually get in my chair, only when I get out of it. I have the Acer Predator XB271HU, one guy one overclock.net had the same issue as me... http://www.overclock.net/forum/44-monitors-displays/1633110-monitor-flickering-when-standing-up-my-chair.html. Do you think it is ESD? Here is video, sorry for video being sideways LOL! Go to 0:12

Lol I have this exact same issue with an Asus rog monitor. Funny thing is it doesn't happen with any of my Dells or my Samsung monitors.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having the exact same problem, it also started when I got my SecretLabs Titan chair.  I am using 2 Dell monitors on VESA mount arms, but I still get the flickering on both.  

Does anyone have a brand of DisplayPort cables that they used to remove the issue?