Question on HDMI VS DIsplay Port

rifat10467

Hey folks, 
I currently have two LG 4k monitors and i'm adding a Dell S2716DGR for gaming. 
I have a GTX 1080 which has two display ports. 
Should the dell go on an HDMI or Display port? 

I'm not too familiar with connectivity and outputs :3 

Thanks!

2 minutes ago, rifat10467 said:

Hey folks, 
I currently have two LG 4k monitors and i'm adding a Dell S2716DGR for gaming. 
I have a GTX 1080 which has two display ports. 
Should the dell go on an HDMI or Display port? 

I'm not too familiar with connectivity and outputs :3 

Thanks!

its Gsync so needs displayport

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

1 minute ago, rifat10467 said:

Would 4k work on HDMI?

Yes, it will. Should do 60Hz 4K as the 1080 uses HDMI 2.0 and the 4K monitors most likely will. 

3 minutes ago, rifat10467 said:

Would 4k work on HDMI?

1 minute ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Yes, it will. Should do 60Hz 4K as the 1080 uses HDMI 2.0 and the 4K monitors most likely will. 

Just make sure you have quality cables, they can be pretty hit and miss to get above 4k 30hz!

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

For Now HDMI is best,,, display port is best for high end gamers .. I mean you have to spend more ...

1 minute ago, Pulkeet said:

For Now HDMI is best,,, display port is best for high end gamers .. I mean you have to spend more ...

Things are steadily moving towards DP rather than HDMI. At least, on the PC side of things. Recent GPUs are coming with 3 DP and one HDMI rather than the old 3 HDMI type configurations. 

Not sure where you're getting that DisplayPort is more expensive. Most GPUs have DP and 4K monitors and high end monitors will use it (which the OP has) and the cables are about the same price for a decent quality one (there are dirt cheap HDMI cables around, though they're not great). 

At this point, it's often best to use DP when it's available, though that may change once HDMI 2.1 comes around. 

Just now, rifat10467 said:

If the cable is made to spec as it should be, then it's capable of 4K 60Hz. 

There's a lot of advertised HDMI 2.0 cables, but that specification doesn't actually exist for cables, there's only category 1 and category 2 (and the 48G cables for HDMI 2.1). The vast, vast majority of HDMI cables available now days are Category 2 cables, which will support the full HDMI 2.0 specification if they're made to fully comply with the category 2 specification. Cheapo cables often won't, but ones provided with a monitor should, especially if the monitor is from a reputable brand. 

But yeah, that cable should work. I'd try the one that came with your monitor first though, it should support 4K just fine. 

6 minutes ago, rifat10467 said:

The monitor wouldn't include a cable that wasn't capable of handling the monitor's requirements.

5 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Things are steadily moving towards DP rather than HDMI. At least, on the PC side of things. Recent GPUs are coming with 3 DP and one HDMI rather than the old 3 HDMI type configurations. 

Not sure where you're getting that DisplayPort is more expensive. Most GPUs have DP and 4K monitors and high end monitors will use it (which the OP has) and the cables are about the same price for a decent quality one (there are dirt cheap HDMI cables around, though they're not great). 

At this point, it's often best to use DP when it's available, though that may change once HDMI 2.1 comes around. 

Ya I know but it depends on the buyer as I say if he/ She can spend more, like a decent gpu or monitor you can say then DP is best if not then HDMI is the best one.

On 3/12/2018 at 2:16 PM, rifat10467 said:

There no such thing as a HDMI 2.0 cable or a 4K cable. It's just marketing BS so they can mark up the price. I would only buy HDMI cables that have been fully certified by HDMI.

These are fully certified by HDMI and work perfectly: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15427

Current Build: Project Frost
Gaming Rig Build: Project Ice Dragon