SSD/HDD help

shadowr1ku

Hey guys, I'll try to keep it specific and not generic so here goes:

I just got my samsung EVO SSD 120gb today and I wanted to install my OS to it and a few programs. When I tried using the migration software from my 500gb HDD, it says it's too large for it to copy even if I select every file to not copy over. After looking around for a long time I think I fresh installed windows 8 (disconnecting the normal boot drive of course.) now I don't know how to set up boot priorities because it's really confusing. I have a z87-g45 motherboard and 1tb HDD, 500gb HDD where the current OS is and my Samsung EVO 120gb. Sorry if it's confusing, let me know any clarifications

In the BIOS you should find a BOOT section which as a FIXED BOOT ORDER list. Each of the possible boot devices should be listed, just select the ones you want in the order you want. It may be a bit confusing because the BIOS sees the devices and those are the labels that it will display. For disks this is usually the part number and port number.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

You don't necessarily need to disconnect HDD while installing OS to SSD. Boot order should be 1. DVD drive/USB 2. SSD and all other disabled since you don't need them. On UEFI interface mobo should recognize drives as DVD, USB, SSD and HDD and so make it easier to select them. I don't know all labels but for Western Digital they use WD prefix in HDDs, Samsung has ST prefix (for my Spinpoint F3).

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

You don't necessarily need to disconnect HDD while installing OS to SSD. Boot order should be 1. DVD drive/USB 2. SSD and all other disabled since you don't need them. On UEFI interface mobo should recognize drives as DVD, USB, SSD and HDD and so make it easier to select them. I don't know all labels but for Western Digital they use WD prefix in HDDs, Samsung has ST prefix (for my Spinpoint F3).

When I try looking for the boot options in MSI UEFI, some a labeled as UEFI and some are not. And only 1 drive is shown as and the others are not (Labeled as WD 500gb)

When I try looking for the boot options in MSI UEFI, some a labeled as UEFI and some are not. And only 1 drive is shown as and the others are not (Labeled as WD 500gb)

Sorry, I didn't quite understood that. This is what UEFI interface should look like http://i2.wp.com/extremespec.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/MSI-Z87-G45-GAMING-Review-15.jpg which boot priority list is middle top. Is that showing all your drives connected? If not, then you should go to BOARD ECPLORER (guessing). If you can't see drives there either then theres something wrong with connections.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Starting at 5:46 in http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJBWv4HHiEU. If the only storage unit that is recognized is the 500GB WD, then check the power and cabling on all the units.

Sorry, I didn't quite understood that. This is what UEFI interface should look like http://i2.wp.com/extremespec.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/MSI-Z87-G45-GAMING-Review-15.jpg which boot priority list is middle top. Is that showing all your drives connected? If not, then you should go to BOARD ECPLORER (guessing). If you can't see drives there either then theres something wrong with connections.

I'm sorry, yes that is that it looks like. In the picture as you described, some of them have a red ribbon around them and they are labeled as UEFI. All drives are connected but I am not sure how to change it. Sorry for being a newbie at this :P

This actually helps! ill find this video again when I get home.

Let us know how it turns out.

disconnect ur HDD, If u are unsure. 

Only leave ur optical drive and ur ssd wired up and set priority to dvd drive, it should automatically do it (it did for me)

also before u do all that set ur sata to AHCI

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 | Cooler: Stock | RAM: 16GB Hyper Fury X RGB | GPU: RTX 2080 Super FTW3 | Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus Elite| PSU: Corsair RM850x
Storage: WD SN750 500GB / 850 500GB Samsung Evo /  | CASE: 570X | Display: Dell u2414h  | KEYBOARD: Corsair K70 | MOUSE: Corsair M65

If you get frustrated, you can download HotSwap!, what it does is that it forces Windows to search for drives connected after the initial boot, so you can unplug your HD, boot with your SSD, then while in Windows reconnect the hard drive and scan for hardware changes with HotSwap!.

I would recommend you keep the SATA power connected to the drive at all times and only have the SATA data disconnected until you boot into Windows.

Let us know how it turns out.

Okay so I'm currently installing my OS on my SSD. Do I install all the drivers for the motherboard on the same SSD or is there a way to boot just the OS and my regular HDD take care of the rest? Or is it the same boot drive UEFI order

Okay so I'm currently installing my OS on my SSD. Do I install all the drivers for the motherboard on the same SSD or is there a way to boot just the OS and my regular HDD take care of the rest? Or is it the same boot drive UEFI order

A system drive should have all required drivers installed on it. It's my opinion that ideally the system drive is also the boot drive. The hdd should be relegated to a data drive, perhaps also infrequently used large programs.