Dead Space 1 technical question

Hey,

So I installed Dead Space, which is a title I bought a number of years ago and never finished for whatever reason (I also have a copy of Skyrim with the plastic still on).

I was just wondering if anyone knows if the game uses a frame limiter that kicks in during scripted sequences? My FPS dips down to around 45 during these sequences, the GPU usage dips down to only 16%, and the CPU never goes over 58% (with a bunch of stuff on in the background).

Is this because the animations are keyed to frames rather than real time, or is this something on my end?

cut scenes are just movies and dont really use the GPU, its the same as watching a youtube video for most games and I suspect its likely the same here. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

6 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

cut scenes are just movies and dont really use the GPU, its the same as watching a youtube video for most games and I suspect its likely the same here. 

They're not really cut scenes, they're scripted animations, the player still has control of the camera and character movement during them.

Here's a screenshot.

GPU at 20%

VRAM: 1316 MB (out of 6GB)

CPU at 36%,

RAM 6487MB (out of 24GB)

and only 49FPS.

Spoiler

Untitled.png.23610cdb2dd79e7826244d6f66f23efb.png

8 minutes ago, -TesseracT- said:

What is ur FPS otherwise?

100-120.

Even then hardware usage is still really low.

Untitled.png.23a52dfecd7c73c1f545586d6030af9c.png

1 minute ago, Apepa said:

100-120.

Even then hardware usage is still really low.

Untitled.png.23a52dfecd7c73c1f545586d6030af9c.png

Could be that the same thing happened to me, but my "normal" fps was much higher than that, so i may have not noticed it.

10 minutes ago, -TesseracT- said:

Could be that the same thing happened to me, but my "normal" fps was much higher than that, so i may have not noticed it.

I have no idea, it goes up to a maximum of 190 fps in some places, but the FPS I get seems to depend on where I'm standing, even if hardware usage doesn't change.

@-TesseracT-

I found the problem. I had V-Sync forced on to "fast". Once I turned that off, GPU usage went up and I'm hitting 200fps at 4K.

Still really odd for it to be doing that, though.

4 minutes ago, Apepa said:

@-TesseracT-

I found the problem. I had V-Sync forced on to "fast". Once I turned that off, GPU usage went up and I'm hitting 200fps at 4K.

Still really odd for it to be doing that, though.

nice. yes, thats odd. v-sync is weird in this game, as with it disabled in the nvidia control panel, some scripted sequences do not start.

42 minutes ago, -TesseracT- said:

nice. yes, thats odd. v-sync is weird in this game, as with it disabled in the nvidia control panel, some scripted sequences do not start.

IKR.

The issue I have now is that without V-sync I get really bad tearing whenever there's flashing lights. Do you know of a fix for this or were you just using a high refresh rate monitor?

13 minutes ago, Apepa said:

IKR.

The issue I have now is that without V-sync I get really bad tearing whenever there's flashing lights. Do you know of a fix for this or were you just using a high refresh rate monitor?

I use a 165 Hz monitor. However, my fps would go above that. When playing the game without v-sync, I found myself not being able to get through the door where u get the plasma cutter. I did some research and found that I had to turn v-sync on in the Nvidia control panel (i also wrote this guide http://steamcommunity.com/id/-tesseract-/recommended/17470/). I havent actually played the game without v-sync beyond that point, so i really dont know. What I found was that having vsync enabled in the control panel wasnt as bad as having it in the game (not as bad input lag). Maybe try to enable it in the control panel.