[Solved] Resolution Issue with DP out to HDMI in on AW3418DW and HP Slim Dock

I purchased a displayport to hdmi cable from startech to connect to my laptop to my AW3418DW because my DP port is used by my other PC and I only can set the resolution to 1920 x 1080, and not to 3440 x 1440 as before using this cable. I have used hdmi cables and DP cables with this monitor with no problems (same laptop), and both the monitor and the cable are rated for this resolution. I am using intel integrated graphics (i5-6300U CPU).

Additional info:

I'm using an HP dock with DP outputs, but my laptop has an HDMI port on the side (blocked when docked).

Link to cable:

https://www.startech.com/AV/Displayport-Converters/6ft-displayport-hdmi-adapter-cable~DP2HDMM2MB

I think it might be that the cable only supports HDMI1.4, which running at that resolution, HDMI can only manage with a compressed color space, which isn't officially supported by the standard, but AMD and NVidia have added support in newer drivers.

tldr Cable is problem. Try updating drivers, but otherwise get a better cable.

I looked up HP's docking station's 

http://store.hp.com/GermanyStore/Merch/Product.aspx?id=D9Y32AA&opt=ABB&sel=ACC  (I'm from Germany)

If it is this one it should have a driver or cable promblem because it has Display Port 1.2 ( up to 5k )

- This was the only hp dock i could find with a display port in this quick search

- It would help if you would reply with the docks spec's or a link

4 minutes ago, Onkydonky said:

I looked up HP's docking station's 

http://store.hp.com/GermanyStore/Merch/Product.aspx?id=D9Y32AA&opt=ABB&sel=ACC  (I'm from Germany)

If it is this one it should have a driver or cable promblem because it has Display Port 1.2 ( up to 5k )

- This was the only hp dock i could find with a display port in this quick search

- It would help if you would reply with the docks spec's or a link

That is my dock.

Here are the configurations that I have tried that have  allowed me to get 3440 x 1440 resolution:

- Dock and a DP to DP cable to the DP port

- Direct from HDMI port in laptop using HDMI to HDMI cable to the HDMI port

Only this new DP to HDMI cable is giving me problems

36 minutes ago, butler1233 said:

I think it might be that the cable only supports HDMI1.4, which running at that resolution, HDMI can only manage with a compressed color space, which isn't officially supported by the standard, but AMD and NVidia have added support in newer drivers.

tldr Cable is problem. Try updating drivers, but otherwise get a better cable.

Thanks for your reply, I'm updating my drivers. I'll let you guys know if that solves the issue.

Alright I looked up the difference between active and passive adapter's and here's the problem I guess

- youre cable is a passive one wich is fine until you get to a certain legth like 20m (youre cable)

- active cable's have an additional power surce to handle that (and some other features that are due to a chip in the cable)

Im gonna like the sources:

http://www.cablechick.com.au/blog/active-vs-passive-cables-switches-splitters/

7 minutes ago, Roicker said:

Thanks for your reply, I'm updating my drivers. I'll let you guys know if that solves the issue.

If you still have issues, have a look at getting one of these (or an MiniDP one if you have a minidp port). https://www.amazon.co.uk/Plugable-DisplayPort-Supports-displays-3840x2160/dp/B00S0C7QO8

The key thing is you want an active adapter that supports HDMI2.0 for best results

So my conclusion is that because youre cable is 20m long a passive adapter has not the power to deliver the signal to the dislpay / beamer / etc

I hope I helped you out somehow (:

4 minutes ago, Onkydonky said:

Alright I looked up the difference between active and passive adapter's and here's the problem I guess

- youre cable is a passive one wich is fine until you get to a certain legth like 20m (youre cable)

- active cable's have an additional power surce to handle that (and some other features that are due to a chip in the cable)

Im gonna like the sources:

http://www.cablechick.com.au/blog/active-vs-passive-cables-switches-splitters/

My cable is 2m (6ft)

I have looked into the option of an active cable, I just can't seem to find a reason why this cable shouldn't work

9 minutes ago, Onkydonky said:

So my conclusion is that because youre cable is 20m long a passive adapter has not the power to deliver the signal to the dislpay / beamer / etc

I hope I helped you out somehow (:

The cable is 2m (6ft), not 20m

I have found the solution! This was a tricky one... The problem was the firmware of the docking station.

I upgraded the graphic driver to the newest version first, but that didn't solve the problem.

Afterwards, I downloaded the firmware "HP Ultraslim Docking Station DisplayPort (DP) Hub Firmware Update", then I docked my laptop into to the docking station and ran the .exe. This flashed a new driver to the docking station's EEPROM, which immediately fixed the problem after I un-docked and then re-docked.

Thanks everyone for the support!