home media server help

i see plex kodi are the most use to make home media server to play all dvd collections as i want to make easy one that use the less internet as i do have 1tb data cap from comcast?

i am using a computer with intel 1150 i7 and ssd 940 and trying to upgrade to 4 or 8 tb of harddrive  and a 660 gtx is this good enough for a 3-4 as may use 2 connection same time?

can i have dual booth this computer and run window 10 and linux system if i install both servers on both of the system os as i do work on them not heavy some microsoft office rip dvd anydvdhd clonedvd photoshop?

can i make it auto setup all clients as different people who cant really use a computer like nvidia shild roku and have fast speed as all of this from one computer?

do i need a cache or ram cache to make it faster for all the usesers?

what things did you use with plex or kodi to run your server as plugins data need it

can i run plek and kodi in the same time?

is it ok to have home media server plex or kodi can i safe setting both and boot to any os with out losing connection or order of the server when i need to boot from it?

Kodi isn't really ment as a server, like plex, its more of a client. But for plex this will work fine.

You can always setup a file share if you want.

The gpu will be doing nothing, id just use the igpu here.

You can run vms on here if you want.

Id just get a few hdds and install linux, then plex and kodia. You can setup your storage with btrfs to make an array on all drives. Then use kvm for vms if you want windows.

No need for cache, this is more than doable on a hdd.

4 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Kodi isn't really ment as a server, like plex, its more of a client. But for plex this will work fine.

You can always setup a file share if you want.

The gpu will be doing nothing, id just use the igpu here.

You can run vms on here if you want.

Id just get a few hdds and install linux, then plex and kodia. You can setup your storage with btrfs to make an array on all drives. Then use kvm for vms if you want windows.

No need for cache, this is more than doable on a hdd.

is there away to auto run the server the other clients as they keep switching outputs as window plex to nvidhisa shield as this gonna be use for older people who cant even use a controller

2 minutes ago, patriciadiaz1919 said:

is there away to auto run the server the other clients as they keep switching outputs as window plex to nvidhisa shield as this gonna be use for older people who cant even use a controller

huh? So have the clients turn on the server?

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

huh? So have the clients turn on the server?

when i turn on window server where i store all the media and i try using nvidhisa shild then i look option client there others as some times it wont auto run the server as force me to configure it is there way to lock it down to stay in one client  with others

Just now, patriciadiaz1919 said:

when i turn on window server where i store all the media and i try using nvidhisa shild then i look option client there others as some times it wont auto run the server as force me to configure it is there way to lock it down to stay in one client  with others

So you don't see the server all the time? Probably a bad network issue, idk the ext problem. Im guessing its a bug. Is this server always running?

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

So you don't see the server all the time? Probably a bad network issue, idk the ext problem. Im guessing its a bug. Is this server always running?

i do see it and i turn off the pc at nights and i mean both clients are there i can see them but if i reboot the device or turn it off and does not stay in the same configuration i use am doing something wrong