SSD installation doubt

peibolrz

I wanna buy an m.2 ssd but the problem is that right now i have a mechanical hard drive with all my files and windows 10 installed, and i would like to transfer the OS and some files to the ssd.

It is possible to do that or i have to clean the mechanical hard drive and reinstall the os in the m.2 ssd? 

You can't straight up clone a larger HD to a smaller SSD. You can though clean up files that won't be used, back up your data and then clone and it will work if it's then smaller than the SSD. Remember that about 10% of the drive space will be used for over provisioning. However, what I'd recommend is to do a clean OS install on the SSD and reinstall whatever programs/games you use. There shouldn't be any activation issues with you just changing your primary drive to an SSD.

15 hours ago, johnukguy said:

You can't straight up clone a larger HD to a smaller SSD. You can though clean up files that won't be used, back up your data and then clone and it will work if it's then smaller than the SSD. Remember that about 10% of the drive space will be used for over provisioning. However, what I'd recommend is to do a clean OS install on the SSD and reinstall whatever programs/games you use. There shouldn't be any activation issues with you just changing your primary drive to an SSD.

And if i have 300GB in my HDD and i want to transfer to a brand new 480GB SSD could i do it? How?

I mean with the windows and all the programs installed

So long as what you're cloning is smaller, and leaves enough space on the new drive for over provisioning, which is usually about 10%, you can do it. However, for an SSD to run optimally, it's good to have over 10% free space on the new drive.

On 12/3/2018 at 6:25 PM, johnukguy said:

So long as what you're cloning is smaller, and leaves enough space on the new drive for over provisioning, which is usually about 10%, you can do it. However, for an SSD to run optimally, it's good to have over 10% free space on the new drive.

ok thxx