Win 10 - Super Lag

A few days ago, I upgraded to a 500GB SSD and used Macrium Reflect to copy my entire drive. (Did a quick format beforehand).

Everything worked perfectly. 

Last night, after changing out some computer parts, my PC began lagging horrendously. 

I wore an electro-static strap, didn’t drop anything, and didn’t remove my CPU or RAM.

PC:

i7-3770K

AsRock Z77 Extreme4

G.Skill 4x4GB @ 1866MHz

EVGA GTX 680 —> 2x EVGA GTX 660 TI (with bridge)

Cooler Master Hyper Evo 212 —> Corsair H100

5x Stock fans (Corsair, NZXT, Phanteks) —> 2x Skythe (?), 3x Cougar, 2x Phanteks 

WD Black 1TB —> Crucial 500GB

700W Fatal1ty —> 850W Thermaltake

Attempted:

1) Windows and individual drivers update

2) Reinstall Nvidia Geforce

3) Reinstalled Windows 10

4) Switched DVI ports between mobo and GPUs

Next Methods:

1) Reseat my RAM then CPU

2) Try my SSD on my sister’s PC

3) Try my friend’s Windows 10 HDD on my rig

4) Reassemble my original rig

There were moments where it seemed like everything was fine until the lag slapped my face. And no surprise, horrible gameplay too.

Probably did a few more things but it was getting late, super tired, and overly stating, “Everything is okay.”

If there are are any suggestions, I’d appreciate them very much for my sexy machine. 

*Note: Upgraded my sister’s GPU with mine. Trust me, rather have that than what I have now.

Lastly, I configured my OS to utilize SLI. 

Does it stop lagging when you disable SLI?

Which PSU did you upgrade to? It's not a TurdPower or TR2 is it?

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

It may be ur SSD clone. Get AS SSD and check if ur partition is in tact:

image.png.675200d1725121677e55c50a3afbe266.png

The Two green numbers on the left side have to be like this, If anything red appears u have to format the drive and reinstall windows completely.

|| CPU: I7 6950X @4.6 (1.35V) || Cooler: CUSTOM EK LOOP || Motherboard: ASUS RAMPAGE V EDITION 10

|| GPU: 2x Vega 64 Strix OC @1762 / 1100 MHz || Memory: 16GB G.Skill Royal RGB 3200 Mhz ||

HDD: Segate Barracuda 3TB || SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 512 GB || PSU: Corsair HX 1200 W || Case: Fractal Design Define R6 Gunmetal || Fans: Corsair HD120 (x4) / BeQuiet Silent Wings 3 (x4) || Monitor: ACER XF27HU ||

Second Monitor: BENQ RL2455HM || Mouse: Logitech G502 Pretus Core || Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum || Headphones: Sennheiser IE80 ||

Buildlog expirience swapping to x99: 

3 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

Does it stop lagging when you disable SLI?

Which PSU did you upgrade to? It's not a TurdPower or TR2 is it?

No. Even tried with one GPU. I’ve used these two separately before and they worked fine. 

Went from 700W Fatal1ty to 850W Thermaltake. I forget which model.  I’ll check when I get home. 

2 minutes ago, joshuawi99 said:

It may be ur SSD clone. Get AS SSD and check if ur partition is in tact:

The Two green numbers on the left side have to be like this, If anything red appears u have to format the drive and reinstall windows completely.

OP said they did reinstall Windows 10. Did you read the post? 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

2 minutes ago, Luo said:

No. Even tried with one GPU. I’ve used these two separately before and they worked fine. 

Went from 700W Fatal1ty to 850W Thermaltake. I forget which model.  I’ll check when I get home. 

Thermaltake makes a lot of crappy PSUs, so it's important to know :) 

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

3 minutes ago, joshuawi99 said:

It maybe ur SSD clone. Get AS SSD and check if ur partition is in tact:

image.png.675200d1725121677e55c50a3afbe266.png

The Two green numbers on the right side have to be like this, If anything red appears u have to format the drive and reinstall windows completely.

I’ll try this when I get home. 

I hope I don’t have to format my SSD again. I barely write to it and rather keep it that way. >_<

I'd open task manager and see if anything is at 100% when it lags. My guess is there's an issue with the drive - I'd try running the test suggested above and see what you can find. Cloning from HDD to SSD is prone to issues.

Meh some build specs...

Meh some inspirational quote meh...

1 minute ago, NelizMastr said:

Thermaltake makes a lot of crappy PSUs, so it's important to know :) 

Gotcha. I normally stick to +80 PSUs and made a rookie mistake and didn’t check this before installing it. It seemed to work fine in the build I took it from... wish I had breadboarded before installing everything.......

6 minutes ago, Jamiec1130 said:

OP said they did reinstall Windows 10. Did you read the post? 

It’s okay, he may have been in a rush to lend a hand.

Thank you everyone for your help thus far. 

Just now, Luo said:

Gotcha. I normally stick to +80 PSUs and made a rookie mistake and didn’t check this before installing it. It seemed to work fine in the build I took it from... wish I had breadboarded before installing everything.......

It's not just the 80+ rating, I had a thermaltake 80+ PSU and it still died after several months. Only issue I've ever had with a PSU, so I consistently use EVGA and Corsair instead now. Also thermaltake doesn't seem to respond to their warranty requests.

Meh some build specs...

Just now, Luo said:

It’s okay, he may have been in a rush to lend a hand.

Thank you everyone for your help thus far. 

Have you tried using another install method, or recreating the installer USB drive? 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

5 minutes ago, CheeseburgerChad said:

I'd open task manager and see if anything is at 100% when it lags. My guess is there's an issue with the drive - I'd try running the test suggested above and see what you can find. Cloning from HDD to SSD is prone to issues.

Checked that too. Nothing anywhere near that. 

Is it now? New info for me! :D 

Though it shouldn’t have any affect since I’ve re-formatted it with a reinstallation of Windows 10. Correct?

1 minute ago, Luo said:

Checked that too. Nothing anywhere near that. 

Is it now? New info for me! :D 

Though it shouldn’t have any affect since I’ve re-formatted it with a reinstallation of Windows 10. Correct?

Yeah that is true, if you reformatted and reinstalled a fresh install of Windows 10 then I'm not really sure what is causing it.

Meh some build specs...

1 minute ago, CheeseburgerChad said:

It's not just the 80+ rating, I had a thermaltake 80+ PSU and it still died after several months. Only issue I've ever had with a PSU, so I consistently use EVGA and Corsair instead now. Also thermaltake doesn't seem to respond to their warranty requests.

Okay. Then before I do any more software attempts, I’ll try my original PSU.

Which btw, should I continue to use the Fatal1ty 700W PSU or get a new one? I got it used from the original who rarely played PC games (his friend built it for him). 

4 minutes ago, Jamiec1130 said:

Have you tried using another install method, or recreating the installer USB drive? 

The only installation method I’ve used is creating the USB using Windows Media Creation Tool (?).

2 minutes ago, CheeseburgerChad said:

Yeah that is true, if you reformatted and reinstalled a fresh install of Windows 10 then I'm not really sure what is causing it.

Gaaahhhhhh....... 

Then my plan of action should be to [in order]:

1) Try my SSD in another PC

2) Try another HDD with Win 10 in my rig

3) Change my PSU

2 minutes ago, Luo said:

Okay. Then before I do any more software attempts, I’ll try my original PSU.

Which btw, should I continue to use the Fatal1ty 700W PSU or get a new one? I got it used from the original who rarely played PC games (his friend built it for him). 

700W should be plenty IMO. You shouldn't be drawing more than 600W max. If your old PSU was working before I'd give that a shot to minimize any sources of error while troubleshooting. If it turns out to be something else you could go back to the TT one if you really want to, but shouldn't be necessary.

Meh some build specs...

6 minutes ago, CheeseburgerChad said:

700W should be plenty IMO. You shouldn't be drawing more than 600W max. If your old PSU was working before I'd give that a shot to minimize any sources of error while troubleshooting. If it turns out to be something else you could go back to the TT one if you really want to, but shouldn't be necessary.

Agreed. 

My other PSU’s PCIe cables couldn’t fit through an opening in the PC without removing the mobo. 

Decided to change the PSU since I was already taking things apart. 

As it turns out, it appears the 850W Thermaltake PSU is faulty. Took my SSD to another PC, worked perfectly. Plugged in my Fatal1ty and everything worked fine.

It's just Thermaltake....... I had forgotten to add that two of my fans weren't spinning... should have been a big clue to indicate they weren't receiving enough power....

Thank you everyone for your help! :D

Just update: The Thermaltake 850W actually seems fine. Flashed my BIOS (by accident) and it seems to have fixed it... Wouldn't have guessed...