Can you rent an off site drive and how much?

If I wanted to rent a drive in like a datacenter just for backstorage off site or for one of my security cameras to write to could that be done? Is this possible? Or would it be super expensive. Just a drive lol. 

Sure, you could rent a VPS or something if you need direct writes. But it'd be cheaper to have the camera write to a local storage and regularly upload it to a cloud backup service like Backblaze.

I think you could also use a cloud drive app to do a quasi real-time write if you have the camera save videos in the cloud drive sync folder and have the cloud drive app always update.

7 minutes ago, Shadow_Storm56 said:

If I wanted to rent a drive in like a datacenter just for backstorage off site or for one of my security cameras to write to could that be done? Is this possible? Or would it be super expensive. Just a drive lol. 

Generally speaking.  Data-center rack-space is extremely expensive.

Your much better off using backblaze or similar and storing a copy locally.

Linux Daily Driver:

CPU: R5 2400G

Motherboard: MSI B350M Mortar

RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4

HDD: 1TB POS HDD from an old Dell

SSD: 256GB WD Black NVMe M.2

Case: Phanteks Mini XL DS

PSU: 1200W Corsair HX1200

Gaming Rig:

CPU: i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270-N Wi-Fi ITX

RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4

GPU: Asus Turbo GTX 1070 @ 2GHz

HDD: 3TB Toshiba something or other

SSD: 512GB WD Black NVMe M.2

Case: Shared with Daily - Phanteks Mini XL DS

PSU: Shared with Daily - 1200W Corsair HX1200

Server

CPU: Ryzen7 1700

Motherboard: MSI X370 SLI Plus

RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4

GPU: Nvidia GT 710

HDD: 1X 10TB Seagate ironwolf NAS Drive.  4X 3TB WD Red NAS Drive.

SSD: Adata 128GB

Case: NZXT Source 210 (white)

PSU: EVGA 650 G2 80Plus Gold

1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Sure, you could rent a VPS or something if you need direct writes. But it'd be cheaper to have the camera write to a local storage and regularly upload it to a cloud backup service like Backblaze.

I think you could also use a cloud drive app to do a quasi real-time write if you have the camera save videos in the cloud drive sync folder and have the cloud drive app always update.

What would be the cost range of either. I have no idea 

1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Yes, that way you have redundancy in case one goes down.

Just now, combine1237 said:

Yes, that way you have redundancy in case one goes down.

Even a 1TB off site drive would be good enough but ok Ill look into the other one, I just like the idea of having a camera off site incase like.... my business got robbed and they found my server, rare possability but still I have become very worried about security these days

1 minute ago, Shadow_Storm56 said:

What would be the cost range of either. I have no idea 

A VPS would be prohibitively expensive because it's meant to be used as a web server. For example, Dreamhost's most basic VPS is $15/mo and only provides 30GB of storage. The most expensive consumer plan is $60/mo and only has 120 GB.

Backblaze is $5/mo or $50/yr for unlimited data (well, whatever that means).

2 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

A VPS would be prohibitively expensive because it's meant to be used as a web server. For example, Dreamhost's most basic VPS is $15/mo and only provides 30GB of storage. The most expensive consumer plan is $60/mo and only has 120 GB.

Backblaze is $5/mo or $50/yr for unlimited data (well, whatever that means).

ok and you say I can just be constantly backing up to it? Or set a time of day to constantly back up... or every 5 mins ect... it's only 1 or 2 cameras so not a big deal and it's not for huge lenths of time either 

2 minutes ago, Shadow_Storm56 said:

ok and you say I can just be constantly backing up to it? Or set a time of day to constantly back up... or every 5 mins ect... it's only 1 or 2 cameras so not a big deal and it's not for huge lenths of time either 

If the backup app is set to continuously upload, it will only upload when the file is both released from any apps using it and when it changes. So if the camera is constantly writing to the same video file for 24 hours, the backup app won't touch it for at least that long.

But otherwise yes, you can set it up so the backup app is continuously uploading.

2 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

If the backup app is set to continuously upload, it will only upload when the file is both released from any apps using it and when it changes. So if the camera is constantly writing to the same video file for 24 hours, the backup app won't touch it for at least that long.

But otherwise yes, you can set it up so the backup app is continuously uploading.

That is how it works I belive, Files go by the day. hmmm that does not help me wanting it to upload contant

Actually

13 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Actually I may be wrong, The pc can crash and I don't lose any data so it must write differently.

You could look into something like onedrive. Those solutions often aren't that expensive.
If you want to go a bit deeper check out microsoft azure and take a storage account with blob storage for archive. You will have to wait a while and pay to get the data back, but storing it should be fairly cheap.

3 hours ago, mad dudy said:

why not just upload it to a home sever?

Would work if the home and business wernt in the same place. 

Have you considered something like Acronis? They do cloud backup and have Small Business packages that may be suitable.

The personal package with 1TB of cloud space is $100 for the year (and includes rolling updates of the software as well). Not sure what sort of premium you'd pay for a small business licence.

I would just look to invest in one of the security cloud storage packages and call it a day.

It's for your business, and you want an SLA around your security.

From a quick google search, some companies even offer this type of service for $10 and stores at least a week of footage.

Desktop:

AMD Ryzen 7 @ 3.9ghz 1.35v w/ Noctua NH-D15 SE AM4 Edition

ASUS STRIX X370-F GAMING Motherboard

ASUS STRIX Radeon RX 5700XT

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 3200

Samsung 960 EVO 500GB NVME

2x4TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs

Corsair RM850X

Be Quiet Silent Base 800

Elgato HD60 Pro

Sceptre C305B-200UN Ultra Wide 2560x1080 200hz Monitor

Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum Keyboard